ProAc Response 2.5

Submitted by Carlos a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2011

Bottom Line:
Hello to you all, this is not really a review of the ProAc 2.5, I am actually asking for opinion, all the way from Spain (Europe). I've got the chance to change my old PolkAudio monitor8 for one of these two:

ProAc 2.5 or Kef 104.2

And the question is now obvious, which one with you people go for? it would be attach to my Hafler se120+se100 amp, Cyrus CD player, technics 1220mkII, and I listen to all type of music, not movies.

Many thanks!

Carlos

Submitted by trondreinertsen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2004

Bottom Line:
I have now owned these beautiful speakers for 8 years. They are the only components I have not even once wanted to replace. Before I got them I were forever changing speakers (and other components) about every 2 years constantly loosing money. So the 2.5s have without doubt been my best audio investment ever. These speakers are revealing speakers that show no mercy with inferior equipment and this can be expensive. Paired with decent equipment however they are always very pleasing and musical sounding. With other speakers I often found I was choosing music that would suit the speakers. With the 2.5s this is no longer an issue. The only time I was in trouble was with extremely revealing and precise PassLabs Aleph amplifiers (Aleph 5 and Aleph 30). These combinations were in my ears just too revealing and left me with a large part of my CD collection useless. After switching to tubes this is no longer a problem, but it is very evident that these speakers are very precise.

The only problem I can think of is the low efficiency at only 86 db/w, that somewhat limits the range of suitable amplifiers. My present setup with a second hand Conrad-Johnson MV52 tube amp sounds gorgeous at low and medium sound levels but the amp is struggling above. I think these speakers are excellent on any music but that they really shine with accoustic music and vocals.

Purchased At:   LyricHifi

Submitted by epiphany a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
A benchmark for audiophile, musical speakers. One of the near classics.

My belief is that these should be used with tubes. That's when I've heard these sound their best. Solid state amps may give you more bass slam and articulation, but then somehow you're missing the point of these speakers.

In fact, I think all the Proacs sound better with tubes (or I suppose with tube-like ss gear). Proac voices these speakers with tubes. May explain the slightly lifted treble and bass I hear when using more 'neutral' ss gear. Got nothing against solid state though.

Honestly, you might find 'better' speakers at their price point or even lower, but you can't really go wrong with these. It's a speaker almost universally praised and loved. Never heard anyone say bad things about this one. Not a really high value product, but a premium speaker at premium price.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by BASIL BEAR a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have had the ProAc Response 2.5's for 3 months now and i have found tremendous openess and brightness that is created. I found a huge difference from my previous Studio 125's and Response d15's. It creates a centre stage in front of you and there is very little distractions and harshness's in the sound produced. There have been good reviews and bad reviews about this speaker, but the final sound is absoulutly amazing and terrific.

Purchased At:   Simply Hifi Australi

Submitted by Rich Bauer a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
The Proac Response 2.5's are the first truly "high end" speakers I've ever owned. Before owning the Proacs I bought whatever looked good in the Crutchfield catalog or at Circuit City. God, I had no idea what I was missing all these years. I can't get over how clear and natural sounding the Proac 2.5 midrange is with female vocalists such as Dianna Krall or Tsai Ching. And with classical music, Isaac Stern's violin sounds so damn real ! It sounds like it's right in the room with me, not locked inside the cupboard or under the sofa. The bass on the Proac 2.5 is quite astonishing for only a 7" woofer. I've taken the grills off several times just to reassure myself that there isn't a 10" or 12" driver hidden in there somewhere. It's a very clean and accurate bass that doesn't boom unless you put the 2.5's too close to walls. That's a big no-no. To be absolutely fair, I will say that on certain older (and bad) classical chamber music recordings, turning on a subwoofer will move more air and bring out the cello, but I think that the Proac 2.5's are faithfully and accurately reproducing everything that's on the disc -- it's just a bad recording. Wanting older bad recordings to sound "fuller" is more of a psychological thing, and having a sub around will help with that craving. The Proacs are dead accurate and will not give you something that's not there to begin with. Overall, I could not be happier !

Purchased At:   Reference Audio Vide