Polk Audio SDA-2

Submitted by PIPE a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2012

Bottom Line:
I was living in Tulsa, Oklahoma at the time, walked into an audio store that had a room full of new Polk speakers. My first glance was at a pair of the very large and expensive SDA-SRS series, Those were the best sounding they had in the room, even next to the Carver Amazing Loudspeakers that were placed next to them. The Carvers did sound amazing, I still remember the ribbon sound, and the bass, but they seemed to be great just at the extremes. The Polks were great all through the sound spectrum. I couldnt afford the SDA-SRS speakers that day, and so settled on a pair of the Polk RTA-15 TL. I enjoyed those for many years, finally giving them up for something.....different. Since that time, I have owned many vintage speakers, I still have alot of them, but I think I will soon be selling off many of them, because I found a pair of SDA 2 speakers, for 225.00. I am no lightweight man, but to lift these things really takes two people, the cabinets are huge. These are the ones that have the 3 woofers, and the two tweeters, with the bass radiator in each cabinet.Included was the cable that connects the two cabinets. Everything is there, the bass is amazing, I can hear details in the music, voices are articulate, soundstage is excellent. I will also be removing the vinyl and replacing it with veneer, these speakers sound excellent and need to look the part. If you are considering a pair of these, grab em while you can, they wont last long. There is magic in these, and the crossovers can be rebuilt when the crossover starts to create an imbalance. I have read of people upgrading the tweeters, but if they are working ok , try different amps instead. I run mine with a high power Kenwood receiver, even though I have many many amps.

Submitted by 007 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2011

Bottom Line:
WOw, these are some great speakers very clean and sound perfect

Submitted by Me a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2010

Bottom Line:
This speaker are nothing more than amazing. The most realistic sounding around. I've purchased new some carver and Polk products back in 1989, and it's a long story but they left my hands after years of use. Getting back into great sound, I checked out a local sound store, no, nothing like Best Buy, they don't even come close to selling anything worth listening to. Anyhow, for the price of anything that came close to what I used to own, I'd have to get a second mortgage for. So I set out search for some Vintage products. I found these on EBay and won them for $199. Together with a Carver TFM-45 is a match made in heaven. If the music does not sound like they are playing right in the same room with you, then there is something wrong with the recording, cause the speakers will tell you for sure, that's how good they are.

Submitted by Counterbiz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2010

Bottom Line:
I've read many of the reviews here and concur with most of them. One issue I would agree with is the tacky vinyl veneer. I decided to overcome this by purchasing a sheet of paper backed quality walnut veneer. I have a cabinet shop and many years of experience, but I can tell you it's not that difficult. This veneer is available the way I purchased it, or PSA backing. Believe me this stuff will not peel off once it is rolled out! You precut your pieces a little oversized, but not much as you will have to trim with a hobby knife. Once the veneer is on and trimmed, you carefully hand sand and blend all the mating edges. Once a careful sanding is complete, making sure there are no scratches or marks anywhere, it's time to finish. One of the best and easiest finishes out there even for a novice, is tung oil. I prefer the low gloss variety. You simply wipe it on with an applicator pad or a clean cotton rag. Let dry overnight, use 0000 steel wool to knock down the raised woodgrain, dust with a tack cloth (treated sticky cheescloth available any home center/hardware). Repeat for at least 2 more coats. The more the merrier and it's so quick! The best way is to lay them on their back and just spin them around from one side to the next.
Now they look as amazing as they sound! You can put any species of veneer that you want, I just chose the good old American walnut. These speakers deserve it, and you won't believe how it makes you feel about them. It's like putting on an Armani suit! Sorry for the long winded diatribe, but I suspect there are guys out there that had the same thoughts about the appearance. Best regards, Pete.

Submitted by talldude777 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2009

Bottom Line:
These Polk Audio SDA-2B's are great speakers for the price than can be had these days on the used market. I own two different pair of these and they continue to impress me as time goes on and gear upgrades happen.

New tweeters can still be purchased direct from Polk and the crossovers can be upgraded for improved sound quality.

They do like amps that have high current and are capable of driving low ohm loads.

Some speakers I have had in the past may be a little more accurate, but the SDA's are just a joy to listen.

They are very picky about room placement and spacing, but all of those details are to be found in the owners manual. Moving them just a few inches can produce noticeably better or worse sound.

Once you get them in the correct location for your room and sit in the "sweet spot", just close you eyes and a huge stage of all the various instruments can be heard. The phantom center channel is amazing.