Polk Audio RT55

Submitted by Fast351 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
What can I say? I went and listened to these and several other sets of speakers at a local audio store before deciding on the Polks. Then I went to Crutchfield to order them because Circuit City didn't carry the cherry model and didn't have the free sub deal. I upgraded from the 8 to the 10" sub (PS350) just because I occasionally like the sofa to shake when I'm watching movies with bass.

If you read on further you will note that my review sounds very close to alot of previous reviews. The sound of these speakers is undeniably the best sound that you will get for a speaker in this price range. You would end up spending over a grand for speakers before you find something of this quality with better sound. The highs are very defined and bright. If you like REALLY bright speakers, like Klipsch, you will need to bi-wire these speakers. Also, don't skimp on the speaker cable. 18 gauge lamp cord will not do it, cough up the cash for some 10 or 8 gauge monster wire or better. Next is the amp. You better have something with a little more capability than a 200 dollar Sony or JVC, because these speakers need some current to bring them to life. I currently have a middle of the like Denon that I'm replacing with an NAD to get more out of them. Get a good set of stands with spikes to get them up and to the ground solidly. And lastly, let them break in. Mine sounded totally different about a month after I got them home, much better than out of the box.

Purchased At:   Crutchfield

Submitted by kennykij12 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
Never had a better set of speakers for the buck!!!
I'm running them through the Denon 5800 and they sound wonderful! Very nice highs, very deep solid base! I can listen to them all day..no fatigue..at all!

This is probably one of my most satisfy-ing investments!!!! Pick them up..you won't regret it!

Purchased At:   Crutchfiel

Submitted by ohskigod a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
great speakers, have listened to speakers at almost twice the cost but still went with the rt55, with no regrets. not many speakers with a better sound bang for buck. I have heard no speakers in this price range that beat them. The speaker cabinet is very well built. real wood, feels solid.

Purchased At:   wiz

Submitted by flynnet a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
So surprised with this speaker. I read the reviews and was impressed with them but no where as impressed as when i hooked them up. Great sound quality and the break in period isnt even done yet. Hits really low considering they only use two 6 1/2" drivers. Very developed highs and mids. I can hear every little detail clearer than i have ever heard out of a pair of speakers. These speakers work well for both music and home theater also. what more could i ask for. I previously had the speakers wired with just 8 AWG speaker wire but now i have them biwired them with 12 AWG wire. I can hear alittle difference in detail but mostly in the higher frequencys.

Purchased At:   Crutchfield

Submitted by johnnywerner a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
I traded my R40's in for the 55i's (open box) even trade after 1 day of use. The 40's sound great don't get me wrong but the 55i's matched my 245i's much better. HT and CD play sound much better on the 55i's. I run the 55i's in small mode and run everything under 80 HZ to a 15" Sub. Therefore, I saw no need in the 800i's and plan on placing the 55i's on 18" to 22" stands. I run everything on a Harman Kardon AVR - 65. This high current unit feeds the speakers with plenty of power for me. They are loud and CLEAR. I've never been able to actually hear flaws in a CD recording before I purchased the 55i's. Sad to say I owned a $4000 car stereo without the clairty that comes with these $300 speakers.

Purchased At:   CircuitCity