Polk Audio RT25
Description: bookshelf

Submitted by jenkster a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
I am not a big Polk fan but I needed a small pair of speakers for the bedroom. I did'nt want to spend alot and found these at Circuit City for under 150 bucks, open box. I took them home and hooked them up to a Yamaha RX777 100 watt receiver. Played them at night at bed time, in the mornings ect. I actually did'nt pay that much attention to them at first. This by the way was over a year ago. One night I could'nt sleep and was listening to Stevie Ray Vaughn, I believe the song was Tin Pan Alley. I suddenly realized how great these little speakers sound. Articulate, great imaging and sound stage and enough bass for at least a smaller room. I really started to appreciate what a real bargain they are. Since then these little speakers have been my work-horse. I had them on my front porch exposed to all kinds of weather. In the garage, basement, mounted on stands, on the walls, you name it. These babies don't miss a beat. I have gone through dozens of speakers for stereo and home theater and have parted with most. I just can't bring myself to get rid of these. I feel the Polk rt25i is one of the best bargains in audio and they won't let you down. I don't think they make them anymore, but if you find a used pair, buy them! Mine are not for sale!

Submitted by khk a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
I originally hated these speakers, but with better equipment, they just kept getting better and better.

After purchase, I set them up on a cheap, adjustable stand with a 80 watt $250 sony receiver and Monster xp cables. My first reaction was: "yuk, I got what I payed for." After the break in period it began to sound better: accurate and natural but not very open and not at all transparent.

After a while, I replaced the stand. The new one was about 40 lbs heavier (not yet filled) and much more rigid. The sound got better, surprisingly better.

To make the long story short, I hooked it up to a 50watt Creek int amp with DIY cat5* solid cord cables, plain DVD player which played the CDs, medium quality monster interconnects (M300?), sturdy stands and the sound was incrediably good! It was smooth, warm, and life-like. With acoustic music, they practically disappeared! Wow! I was honestly amazed.

These are not perfict speakers, however. As expected, bass at loud volumes is bad, especially with rock music. It gets boomy and distorts. At lower volumes, it's listenable and most of the times, very good. It's no wonder that speakers are the last on my list of upgrades. Other than the problem with bass, these also have a limited sweet spot. So, they won't impress you when you are 20 feet away, typing :^\.

*(Check out tnt-audio.com for details, make yourself excellent cables for about $30 and 3 hours of labor. Everything you need can be found in Home Depot..no relations to either companies).

Purchased At:   circuit city

Submitted by TopPop a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
These speakers are great! I live in a dorm room, so I have to think small. I picked these up at a pawn shop along with a Polk center and some speaker stands for $250. For the size of the speaker (6 1/2 woofer), the Power Port does wonders with the bass!!

Purchased At:   pawn shop

Submitted by Shaun Bohannon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
Well, I was looking for some reasonably priced speakers to replace the rears on my HT (a $10 pair of KLH...I know they suck, but I'm a broke college student). I found a pair of RT25i's openbox for $79.95 each and fell in love. I sat them on my KLH 900Bs (I know, I know...) just to test the Polks out and they did such an awesome job that they are now my mains and I'll have to suffer a little while longer till I get some more $$$ to replace them with some towers...till then I'll suffer with the KLH rears. I can't wait to have a full Polk system with these as rears. My system now:

DCM (Center)
Polk RT25I (Mains)
KLH HT-9930 (Rears)
KLH PSW8-100 (Sub)
APEX AD-500W (DVD)
Yamaha RX-V496 (Reciever) [the only component worthy or being paired with the Polks]

Submitted by jenkster a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
I was looking for some good, reasonably priced, bookshelf speaker for a bedroom system. I auditioned several speakers which I have listed below. The main thing I listen for is how well the speaker reproduces the human voice. Second is mid-range overall. A good indication on highs is the reproduction of cymbals, particularly ride cymbals for you drummers. The Polk RT25I was by far the best of the bunch for vocals and mid-range. One CD I use is the Rolling Stones "Stripped". Jagger's voice on "Love in Vain" is very well recorded. The RT25Is did the best job in reproducing his voice as well as the accoustic guitar and dobro. "Wild Horses" is also a good test track on this CD. Again the little Polk did an excellent job. They struggle a little on real high electric guitar tones, hopefully they will smooth out after break-in. For $200 there is very little to complain about. I will use these strictly for music and have them paired with a Velodyne CT-100. This seems to be a good, balanced system. I have never been a Polk fan but these speakers get my highest recommendation, for what that's worth. These are great little speakers for those who want quality sound and are on a tight budget.
Other components:
NAD 160 pre-amp
AudioSource amp 3
AMC CD8b player
Denon tu-1500 tuner
Kimber Kable inter-connects, PBJs
Kimber Kable speaker wire, 4 something?
Velodyne CT-100 sub