Polk Audio M3 II
Description: Multipurpose Speakers

Submitted by Thomas A a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
I've had these speakers for 5-6 yrs now..and they have served me well. If you have a small HT and using for surrounds (could not see using for anything else- party room maybe) I upgraded to the f/x300i's..ands soon to the 500's. As good as they are..for the price..I'd get the RT25's or spend a tad more and get the 35's..
Much better speakers in my opinion.

Purchased At:   Bjorns

Submitted by Tom Yau a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
Ported bookshelf speakers need to be placed usually on a stand to give optimal performance. For that matter, it really doesn't pay, because a floorstanding tower will take up as much room as the bookshelf and stand. However, these MP3II's can be placed anywhere without compromising the ability of its sound. The mid bass and upper lower bass is tight and punchy. It is not thick sounding, but its full enough to satisfy a quest of speaker placement where ther is none. And that is the beauty of this speaker. The tweeters should be replaced with something that is less artificial sounding. The highhats and cymbals sound like drum machine sounds rather than its natural timbre. If Polk was to make a change in this we would probably have a real classic, because the flexibility and unobtrusive mounting still hasn't been matched. And for certain rooms in the house, it is completely necessary. Otherwise the other alternative is to run in walls.

Purchased At:   Main Street Audio and Appliance

Submitted by Russ S a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
Went to the store to complete my home theater (the Kenwoods I had never were any good). Since all of my other speakers were Polk (monitor 5s, cs245, sub), I figured that one of the RTs would fit the bill. After listening to them I was disapointed. Polk sound has significantly changed over the years. My monitor 5s sound so much better than the current crop (crap!!) that polk is putting out these days. You have to spend some serious $$s to get close to the quality in my "old" speakers. Anyway I listened to the m3s expecting even less high frequency (due to the spec sheet). I was wrong these sounded so much better than the larger speakers and mated well with my current speakers. Maybe there's still hope for polk. I highly recommend these speakers for the surround or main use -- just don't expect much bass, you'll need a sub.

Purchased At:   PC Richards

Submitted by Nick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
I stopped in at a local store just to look around. I wanted to replace my little 4" surrounds with a two way speaker. I saw this pair on sale(only on sale because they are a 3 year floor model) and decided to ask the salesman to hook them up. I also saw a similar pair of Boston's for the same price which were brand new. The Polk's sounded so much more alive than the Boston's for being 3 years. I got them home and hooked them up to my home theater and pumped a little Dolby Digital into them and they performed great. I can't complain considering the price I payed and would recommend them to anyone for surrounds.

Purchased At:   local audio retailer

Submitted by Tre' Wells a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was fooled by the Polk Audio magazine ads with Matthew Polk in his little lab coat. I always heard that Polk Audio made great speakers. This may have been true about 15 years ago. Apparently Polk has sold-out to mass marketing and production like Nakamichi and McIntosh.

Both speakers drivers crapped out on me and I had to get them repaired. I mistakenly attempted to use them as a rear-recovery speaker. Do not this mistake. I would recommend these to a beginner or someone with very limited space.

I guess for Tweeter, Good Guys or Circuit City these would be a nice line to carry. However, go to a higher-end store and they'll laugh you out of there.

I will never purchased Polk Audio products again. I will put them in the same category as Bose speakers. Don't believe the hype and the nice ads.

Purchased At:   Tweeter