Pinnacle Classic Gold Towers

Submitted by JJ a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2016

Bottom Line:
As an audio enthusiast, I have owned and listened to many speakers. Vintage JBL, Thiel, Vandersteen, Dunlavy, B&W, Merlin, Silverline, Meadowlark, Martin Logan, Acoustat, Magnepan, Usher, Definitive Technology, Infinity, Polk, Bose, and recently PSB Gold and Pinnacle CGT. For the money that I spent, this is the best value, period.

Among all above speakers, I currently have the Dunlavy, Merlin, Magnepan, and CGT at home.

Submitted by lenhoffcpa@yahoo.com a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2006

Bottom Line:
So I discovered EBAY has stereo equipment and bought a pair of Bose 601's Meanwhile I bid $120 on these and nobody else bid. I really didn't know them but saw good reviews. This is an incredible speaker. I am using an 18 year old NAD amp with 50 watts and only turn the dial to 9 o'clock. The bass is very nice althtough I'm experimenting with other amps for the first time in 18 years. Vocals on these from Mick Jagger to Chrissy Hynde and Natasha St. Pier are fantastic. Horowitz's violins are beautiful as are Niel Young's guitars. The fullness of sound without harshness is amazing at the price. (see the Julian Hirsh review on the Pinnacle web site).

Purchased At:   EBAY

Submitted by talon160db a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers from a local audio shop for $798 for the pair (this is before I was big into ebay). They are the first REAL speakers I have owned. They were worth every penny. The bass is incredible for 8 inch woofers. And keep in mind, the bottom woofer which is meant to be bi-wired is facing forward, not downfiring like NHT or others. Pinnacle has done a fine job with tuning their enclosures. I highly recommend bi-wiring them. There is a noticeable difference. There isn't a better speaker for the money. I have thought BRIEFLY of replacing these, and have auditioned many speakers including Polk, Infinity, Paradigm, Klipsch, and B&W. I honestly can say that I would not pay the extra money for the B&W's or Paradigm's for the little difference. The Pinnacles have far better bass in my opinion. The midrange could be a bit better, but that is what they make the 3-way for. Remember, this is technically a 2 way speaker, until you bi-wire them. If I had it to do all over again, I would probably spend the extra few dollars and get the 3-way with the extra midrange woofer. Buy these speakers if you have the chance. You will love them. But remember, BREAK THEM IN! They only get better with age. These speakers were meant to be played loud. I setup my gear at an outdoor party last summer. I had a Denon AVR-3600 receiver, and a Denon DCM-270 5 disc cd player. The Denon was pumped up to -5 for about 7 hours straight playing hard rock like AC/DC and Aerosmith. A guy I know came up to me and complimented me on my setup. He couldn't believe how good the Pinnacles sounded, especially outside. He has the same receiver, but he has B&W towers. I forget which model they are. The point is, you don't have to pay $2000 to get high quality sound. Also, my opinion is that the new speakers today are focusing more on home theater and less on music. These Pinnacles are the best speaker you will find for under $2000 for all around performance. I have recently sold my Denon AVR-3600, and upgraded to a Harman Kardon AVR-7000. WOW! These puppies are really singing now! When I listen to music, I find myself turning OFF my Jamo D6 subwoofer just so I can hear the Pinnacles. Amazing speakers. BUY THEM!

Current setup:
Harman Kardon AVR-7000
Denon DVD-3300 DVD player (changing to HK)
Denon DCM-270 5 Disc cd player
Sony VCR
JVC 501 dish network receiver w/ digital out
Pinnacle CGT's
Pinnacle widescreen center
Jamo D6 THX 15" 400 watt sub (wow)
Mission 780's for the rear (these speakers are unreal for bookshelf)
And believe it or not, CRAPPY WIRE! I'm talking Radio Shack type wire. I need to spend the bucks on some good wire and cables.

Purchased At:   Local Shop

Submitted by Steve in Az a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
After having these speakers for more than a year, I can suggest some set-up ideas. Try placing them at least 24" from any side obstruction and 8" from the back wall with 1" of toe-in on each side. Place them around 8-10' apart for best soundstaging. The longer I own these speakers, the more I like them. Try Audioquest Type 4 speaker cable and bi-wire them. This is a perfect combination of cable/speaker. Try the Type 4 with the CGT's, you'll be glad you did.

Submitted by Udo Dirkschnieder a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my previous post. I've now had these speakers for about a year and in 3 different listening areas. I've decided I like them more now than I did before. I still think the midrange could be better, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why Pinnacle put the awesome Audax mid in with the dual 6.5" but NOT in the dual 8" CGT's. Despite the isolation cones, mine sounded best when I had them elevated. I didn't think bi-wiring would help, but I just built cables yesterday and though I haven't had a chance to fully exercise them...I noticed a difference. The highs went the direction of a soft dome sound, and the bass "seemed" to be a little less muddy. I recommend about a foot of elevation and bi-wiring. I'm happy I bought them, I just wish they'd put the Audax in em! I haven't heard the Wharfdale Vladus 500's, but they seem to be the latest hot cheap floorstander, and from all I've read I'll bet these Pinnacles blow them away.

Purchased At:   Ebay