Pinnacle Black Diamond
Description: <ul> <li>Beautiful High Gloss Piano Lacquer Finish</li> <li>Solid Brass Isolation Cones</li> <li>Automatic Overload Protection Circuit</li> <li>Designed in the USA</li> <li>System Type: 3-Way, 4-element, 4th Order vented</li> <li>Component Drivers: 1" liquid cooled silk dome tweeter with neodymium magnet 5.25" polycone midrange with rubber surround and die cast phase plug</li> </ul>

Submitted by Mike W a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2010

Bottom Line:
I sold Pinnacle speakers back in the mid 90's. I was always impressed with their build quality, big sound stage and clarity. In 2004, I was finally in a position to put together a home theater system. I had recently picked up a Harman Kardon AVR 7000, which is a monster receiver and back in 2000 was HK's flagship receiver. Anyways, I digress. I knew there were some great buys on ebay and you could get a lot of speaker for much cheaper than retail if you were willing to buy used. I fell in love as soon as I saw the piano black finish on the Black Diamond 1000's. I found a dealer who wasn't going to carry the Pinnacle line any longer. He was selling his floor models for $350! Retail on these at the time was $1100. I bought them without ever listening to them first. Yes I was taking a chance, but I knew the Pinnacle reputation and the audio magazines were giving them pretty good reviews. Being that they were floor models, they were fairly broken in, but in excellent quality. The sound the produce was lush and very clear with a large sound stage. They don't take up a lot of room either. I was surprised at how small they actually are which is due to the drivers only being 5'1/4. About the only complaint I have with them is a lack of really low base. They have two seperate drivers dedicated to low frequencies and are rated down to 34hz but I don't know about that. If you are sitting right in front of them they sound great, but if you walk away, the base definately doesn't follow you. At any rate, they still sound wonderful. I have since added the BD300 center, BD500 bookshelves for surrounds and the Digital 600 sub. Since adding the subwoofer, base is no longer an issue and in fact I probably went overkill with the Digital 600. I have it set to less than 1 on the volume and it still shakes the room. There's nothing like dual 12" drivers with a 600 watt digital amp driving them!! Anyways, I know you can still get the Pinnacle Black Diamond series. They even have some larger speakers with 61/2" drivers now. I doubt you can find too many other speakers in this price range with the same quality. I thoroughly recommend the Pinnacle Black Diamonds.

Submitted by Mike Howard a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2004

Bottom Line:
These speakers are incredible. I am hearing instruments on my recordings that I never even heard before on my previous speakers. Sounds like the vocalist is in my listening room.

Purchased At:   Harrisburg Radio Lab