Pinnacle AC-850
Description: 8-in woofer, 1-in tweeter

Submitted by Justin a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
If you love to listen to classical music, as I do, then you will love these speakers. I got them for $130 each and I can confidently say that there is nothing as good as them in their price range.
I find it amazing that anyone would complain about the bass in these speakers. Then again, a lot of people prefer a bass sound that is too boomy and actually rather unrealistic. These speakers don't have a boomy bass. But, they do have clear deep bass. Listen to the gigantic 12' bass drum in the Philadelphia Orchestra's 1964 recording of Verdi's Requiem and your sure to be impressed.
The speakers are exceedingly good at reproducing wind instruments. I tested the speakers with the beginning of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring. They outperformed every other pair of speakers that I could find up to $1000 a pair.
If I were rich, then I'd buy a pair of KEF Reference speakers. But, since I'm not, I can't think of a better listening value than the Pinnacle AC850s.

Submitted by Bryan a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 7, 1999

Bottom Line:
I've had these speakers for several years now, and have used them as my main front speakers (I have AC-650's for the rear). I grabbed 'em for $200/pair ($110 for the AC-650's) when a local store was going out of business. I'll agree that the lack of a dedicated midrange is a downside, but the speaker is very versatile with any kind of music. You would defitely would want to have a sub if using in a home theater set-up. I'd give it 5 stars for price/performance, and a 3 for overall listening pleasure. You'd have to spend 3-4 times as much as I did to find a better speaker.

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener

Submitted by Clint a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 21, 1998

Bottom Line:
At first listen, I was amazed with the sound emited from these beautes. After purchasing, and using them very rigourously, I've found the sound to be a little towards the flat side with the midrange spectrum. This is most likely due to the lack of a specific mid driver. The highs are great, and in my 12x12 dorm, the bass rumbles! Everyone that has listened to these can't believe their ears. They always say they couldn't believe the sound from such an antique looking speaker. That's cool. I'm using them as fronts with a phantom center, so that's why I've noticed the slightly dull voices. No one else does though. If you have a large room, then a sub might be required, but for most average 20x20 rooms-these produce amazing sound. Here in Aggieland, we have what's called power hour in the dorm near finals. After being really quite and studying(yeah right), we get to be as loud as possible for one hour. I had these beasts thumpin' and screamin' for the whole hour without a hint of distortion. The poles stayed very cool and the tweeters held up great! I couldn't believe it. Get ya some!

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Doug a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 9, 1998

Bottom Line:
I like these speakers. Very clear and precise. I bought them on sale at Fry's for a $130 each, mainly because I was impressed by the value. Decent sound and at this price I could afford to use them as stand ins while I took my time auditioning higher end speakers.
At first, the weak bass kind of annoyed me, but the sound seems to have evened out since I got them, and they've kind of grown on me. After spending a little time listening to Energy's C-4 speakers, and being very impressed, I came home and flipped on some Wagner, and I thought to myself "Damn, these things actually sound pretty good." I actually wish I'd bought four of them, which I think together with the matching center would make for a pretty decent, inexpensive full range system. Some kind of sub would be a requirement.

Submitted by Arctic Ear a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 30, 1997

Bottom Line:
Wow! Just received these and connected them to my system. Beautiful sound! Since I live in rural Alaska I do not have the luxury to audition speakers. I read a strongly positive review on the Pinnacle Classic Gold speakers in Stereo Review but could not afford them. The AC-850's are the next in the Pinnacle line and I got them from NetMarket for $265/pair delivered. Eight-inch woofer / one inch tweeter 30-22kHz FR bass reflex and these 25"H x 9"W x 11"D black boxes will accurately reproduce the 32 foot pipes on J.S. Bach's Toccata & Fugue in D Minor from "The Digital Virgil Fox". Magnificent soundstage and crystal clear highs without harshness or listener fatigue. My floor vibrates at moderate volume levels! One of the best bargains I have ever encountered in hi-fi equipment and certainly an improvement over the old EPI-110's they replace. System parameters: Hafler DH-110 Pre-amp / DH-220 Power Amp, Magnavox CDB650 CD-player, moderately priced interconnects and speaker cable. Now I start saving for the Classic Golds!