Paradigm Reference Monitor 7 v2
Description: 2 way bass-reflex (3 drivers), 120W. Two 165mm (6.5") drivers with diecast chassis, ICP™ injection-moulded co-polymer polypropylene cone, Apical™ former, and one 25mm (1") PTD™ pure-titanium dome and former, ferro-fluid damped/cooled tweeter.

Submitted by Mecheng a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2013

Bottom Line:
Fantastic speaker for all types of music, which is what makes these speakers so great. They are so versatile, anything from Jazz to Rock they sound great. My brothers Tannoy only sound good with Classical. They are quite different from my 7se mkii, which sound more centre stage while the Monitor 7 are more front stage. The mid range is more present and because they are not as laid back I use -2 on the treble. Soundstage is great, bass is very deep and tight, no need for a sub if they are placed properly. They are not bright like ppl have wrote, try JBL then you know what bright is. Build quality is typical of most Candian made speakers it is excellent. I've had my 7se mkii for 20yrs and they still sound great these should last equally as long. I love Paradigms, life long fan for me.

Submitted by dloweman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2005

Bottom Line:
The speakers I am reviewing are the version 3's. The look of these speakers is very simple yet attractive, they don't draw attention to themselves, which is what most want. As for the sound, I think it is one of the best values available. The imaging is great, and the overall sound is just outstanding. These speakers are for all listening groups and can handle all types of music very well. If you are looking for a step up from a budget system then definately take a look at the monitor line from paradigm.

Purchased At:   Natural Sound, Kitch

Submitted by Ian64 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Monitor 7 V3s. I first started looking and doing the research about 2 years ago after I had purchased my receiver Denon 1802. I read all kinds of reviews on this site and other online forums. But when it came down to the auditions and the best value the Paradigms won out. I would say the B&W's would have been my second choice but there was a good price difference that did come into play. I think the fact that the Paradigms are made in Canada helped as there no import duties. The other big factor, which helped with the purchase, was the retailer that I have been dealing with for the last few years do have a good reputation in the city and I would recomend anyone to check them out.

With all that said it is only the reason I made the choice I made it doesn’t give my impressions of the speakers.
After 6 months with these I am still happy with my choice as I have watched numerous movies and listen to many hours of 2-channel audio with the system. Even though I am limited on the quality of 2-channel stereo using the Denon AV receiver. I am still impressed with the 2 channel as at times it sounds as if the centre is on, but that is just good sound stage which I have never had before. I enjoy listening to female singers such as Stevie Nicks. I am also impressed with the amount of low base comes out of these I run may receiver with tone defeat on so as not to use the base and treble controls at all so the music is the way the artist had intended it to be heard. When I bought these I had some concern that with only 6" drivers that it would not get low enough. I am surprised at how low these go I have listen to some Price with sub shut off and I would say that these go low enough for and any 2 channel system, but for home theatre a sub is a must have.
I am running these biwired off my receiver which when I first put them on I did notice some gains. So I had my retailer that sold me the speakers build some custom biwire cables, which I do believe, are worth getting.

Purchased At:   Audio Ark

Submitted by Bernard a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2004

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Monitor 7 v3. After having listened to all the major reputable brands I settled on the paradigms for a number of reasons. In Canada the closest competitor in my opinion is PSB. I found the paradigms offered a bit more sparkle and excitment than the rather dry and flat response of the PSB's. (A matter of taste.). The v3 is less bright than the v2 and has a very flat response. The imaging is outstanding with instruments and vocals being placed very accurately between the speakers. The soundstage is also big and slightly higher than the speakers. Bass response is excellent and tight and controlled. The port is front firing which helps if you have to place the speakers against the wall. Ideally you would want them away from the wall but this was not an option as these are part of my bedroom system. Treble is outstanding at this price point and is well defined and not too bright. It is also nice and sweet sounding. The midrange though very good for this price is where you start to see slight weaknesses compared to more expensive units like my B&W 603's. This is nitpicking I know but if there is any weakness this is where it is. The midrange is very smooth and well balancede but lacks a bit of definition and detail compared to more expensive speakers. It tends to smooth over the grain and detail. However at this price you will not find a better speaker, maybe just different and then it's up to your taste and music preferences that will make the difference. You could get better midrange detail but then you would lose something else. At this price everything is a compromise but this one happened to sound the best to me. All in all this speaker is outstanding and can really handle some power and deliver high volume levels. I am using them as a bedroom system connected to NAD320BEE, NAD540 cd player and NAD422 tuner. The NAD amp really goes well with these speakers, lots of power and excellent midrange. Previosly used a Harmon KArdon receiver but it had poor midrange (but good lows and highs). Combined with the Paragigm's the midrange was just lost so I refunded it and got the Nad320BEE and the midrange was back and excellent. I also listened to the Paradigm's on a Denon receiver and this was a very good match as well as Denon usually has good detail and midrange definition which these speakers need a little help with. Match these speakers up with a good system and they will be unbeatable in my opinion.

Purchased At:   Chase Electronics

Submitted by Audiophyle a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2004

Bottom Line:
Have you ever heard of the term "diminishing returns?". Well, essentially these Paradigm Monitor 7's are as good as speaker gets before the increase in price is not worth the investment. In otherwords, they are the best value on the market. There are better speakers out there for sure, but the corresponding increase in price is not anywhere close to worth the difference in sound. You you want to pay double what the 7's will cost you and get less than a 5% improvement, be my guest. I decided to get audiophile sound with the 7's and invest what I would have wasted on more pricey models in better electronics. The Monitor 7's excell as home theater mains and give me goosebumps when listening to 2-channel stereo. You just can't go wrong with these babies. I don't think they have a weakness, and I would rather send my money to Canada (Paradigms are made in Canada), than to Japan or even Britian and day. Happy listening.

Purchased At:   Local Audiophile Sho