Paradigm Reference M9
Description: (See reviews)

Submitted by mattcass a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have owned these speakers for probably close to 3 years now and they have yet to let me down. Before purchasing the Paradigm's I spent close to 2 months listening to many different speakers from different companies such as PSB, Energy, Polk, Cerwin-Vega, Angstrom, and others I just cant remember. The Paradigm's and the Angstrom's were the only two that really stood out from the crowd (partially because I believe the same person designed them, VERY similar speakers). But the Angstorms were higher priced than the Monitor 9's so I decided to go with Paradigm. Also, from what I can tell, I got fantastic deal on them, I paid $600 at a time when they were retailing for $800 ( i think now they are $1000 retail). Overall, one of the best music purchases I have made to date. They also do a just as good a job for home theatre as they do for stereo music. I have them coupled with a PS-2200 subwoofer and am blown away every time I watch a movie. Very impressive speaker and definately worth spending money on. Everything else is just child's play compared to these.

Submitted by Mike a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 1999

Bottom Line:
After taking the DVD plunge my old speakers (and reciever) had to go. I listened to five well known brands before chosing Paradigm. In my opinion Paradigm has the best sound for the money. The M9's had really sharp treble and little bass right out of the box but after break-in them in the treble eased down and the bass fills the room more and more. No need for a sub while listening to music with these speakers (unless you are just bass happy). They also sound excellent with Home Theater. I got the M9's, CC350, ADP350's and the PS1000. Let me tell you that speaker setup with the Yamaha RX-V995 reciever kicks some serious butt in Dolby Digital and Pro Logic. Oh yea, they passed the wife test too. After a night of Home Theater I asked her what she thought. She said she liked the sound! And I haven't heard a single complaint from her.

Submitted by richard a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 17, 1998

Bottom Line:
Those who are complaining about these speakers and the BASS might not have the speakers set up right. I at first thought they were boomy but after making the proper adjustments and moving and lowering the subwoofer response they are fine.These have 8 inch drivers and I expected a good BASS response unlike some speakers with 6 1/2 drivers. I can't say you can completely get away from not having a sub but these babies handle a lot of Bass. For the price these can't be beat.

Submitted by Mike Steeves a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 31, 1998

Bottom Line:
I have to start off by saying I -Highly- reccommend these speakers.
DESCRIPTION: 2 x 8" LF/ MF Drivers, 1" HF driver. typical 150W @ 8 ohms, 15-200W range, 32-20,000+ Hz freq. response.

I've recently replaced my Cerwin-Vega AT-12's with a gorgeous pair of black Monitor 9's, and I must say WOW. I was worried about losing the _feel_ of the Vega's bass, and giving up some efficiency. After a while of listening to the M 9's all my fears were gone. The Monitor 9's do everything well. They're crystal clear and precise (many speakers are, stepping up from C-V). I've heard things in my music that I thought I could only hear if I was listening for it on my Sennheisers! The M 9's have a broad and nearly flat frequency response. They're great with low bass, mid-bass, midrange and the highs. However I found the area between the mids and highs to be . . . ambiguous (for lack of a better word), though my speakers are brand new, and this might be cured after some more 'burn-in' time. I also must say that these speakers are _not_ for small rooms, and they should be placed away from the walls. If you have a small listening room, get small speakers.
I've also never gotten a better deal on a pair of speakers. I've seen them go for upwards of $850 Cnd. I picked mine up for almost $200 Less!
I've only had these speakers for about 3 days, and I've been testing them with (and burning them in with): Loreena McKennitt, Tori Amos, 20 bit remastered gold Sarah McLachlan, Delerium, Techno-Animal, Abba (yes, Abba), Madonna's "Ray of Light", Fleetwood Mac, and some classical. I've also tried some vinyl too (all Sarah McLachlan though). John Clark (below) was right, these speakers seem to have been made for the female voice (perfect for my tastes!), but they do everything well!
I HIGHLY reccommend checking these speakers out if you're looking for a solid perfoming full range speaker. Thier performance, along with thier price will hook you!

Later!
mike s

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Brenton Pearcy a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 14, 1998

Bottom Line:
I've listen to a lot of speakers in the $600 - $1000 price range, (and I do mean alot) and theres not a loudspeaker that can touch these babies! B&W and Definitive can't compete with these remarkable floorstanders in this price range. The highs flow right in with the mids and low frequencies that blend togather to make a fabulously big sound stage for both music and home theatre. I highly recommend these loudspeakers to anyone who is serious about music, but does'nt want to spend alot money on the looks of the loudspeaker.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile