Onkyo 310
Description: subwoofer

Submitted by Philip a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2000

Bottom Line:
First I would like to say that I'm writing about the SKW-320, which has a 100 watt amp, and two 8 inch subs. 25-200 hz frequency response.
I haven't actually bought this sub but I think I will next week, I want it in my bedroom and it is a small room, but I listen to rap and some hard core techno, and I just need my bass. I have a Sony SAW-10G at the moment, 30 watts, 6 5/16 driver... they claim it goes down to 28 hz but I don't know... It is only a 6 inch SUPER woofer after all, but it sounds ok, quite amazing for it's size. Nevertheless, turn the volume up and this sub is gone, you get the feeling that the sub will literally pop out of the enclosure. The sub on it is quite weird, it's cone is totally flat, and has rubber surrounds, not very well magnetically shielded though.
Now I want to get the Onlyo 320, the 310 is an old version and isn't produced any more, www.audioreview.com should update there database and add more Onkyo products.

I have heard this onkyo play... what can I say, it is a sealed box, and I dislike the idea of it but the way they put the subs makes it much more compact and is meant to cancel out cabinet resonance.
The salesman put in some CD in a Yamaha CD player and Amp, the speakers were some Yamaha floor standing ones, they sounded quite good and precise, lack in bass though. He switched on the sub, I don't know how exactly the bass settings were on the amp, but it was't full in the sub and the crossover was at a low frequency, around 65 I think. It added some amazing bass to the sound, not TOO powerful but I guess it was the song and the bass settings he used, this is afterall 100 watts! He turned the volume quite high and there was no distortion, I wanted him to turn it till it started distorting but it was a store. Overall I think this is quite a good sub, $640 Australian dollars, used to be $759, which I think is good, a Yamaha YST-SW45 which has one 8 inch driver, and 60 watts power is sold for $435, reduced from $530 or so, it is quite expensive but I haven't been able to listen to it as well as I wanted to, I will go back next week and listen to it, I will either buy it or atleast bring in some of my CD's so I know what it does sound like, either way I will write a review of what I think of it.

I can't give a good rating, since I didn't listen to it all I wanted, but I will give it a 4, it migh deserve more, so don't take my word for it.

Submitted by jurgen slender a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 28, 1999

Bottom Line:
I bought this subwoofer together whith the B&W 601 speakers, they make an excellent combination. Onkyo claims that by using 2 woofers, one the the left and one on the right side, there's less resonance and you'll get cleaner bass.It really works, when your cranking up the volume the speaker hardly has any resonance, but there's a lot of bass sound coming from it.
My first subwoofer (an AIWA TSW50) had a lot of resonance when you were playing loud music, the bass became muddy.
Great sub if you plan to use it in a normal room, don't use it in a big room because it only has a 50watt amplifier built in.