ONIX Rocket RS250
Description: 2-way rear-vented design, Vifa Ring Radiator tweeter, custom 6.5" long-throw aluminum cone woofer, 48Hz-20kHz ±3dB, 6 Ohm impedance, 89dB efficiency, 48lb/pair.

Submitted by Discriminator a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2005

Bottom Line:
Based on my experience with Rocket's UFW-10, which is an outstanding equalized subwoofer at its price point (especially if you get an open box like I did), I decided to try these little speakers for my home theater. The product failed to impress me and I returned them. They were cheaply made (in China, of course) and they sent the wrong finish. When I went to loosen the cap on the binding post it came loose inside of the speaker! I took them to a local store to compare them to other models and ended up with a pair of Sonus Faber Concertinos for $999. There was no waffling - the Sonus Faber made the Rockets sound like junk in comparison.

Now the Rockets aren't horrible speakers but the Vifa tweeter is not very natural sounding or musical and can be fatiguing. It might be ok as a HT surround. I moved them from the Harmon Kardon receiver in my HT to the better Acurus amp in my living room and they actually sounded worse. The greater resolution of the amp brought out the shortcomings of the tweeter. It sounded smooth but very unnatural. Add to that the fact that AV123 refused to pay return shipping despite (a) the defective workmanship on the binding posts AND (b) the fact that they sent me the wrong finish and you have a pretty dismal, frustrating waste of time an money overall! If I do any further business with this outfit I would stick with subwoofers. They seem to do those pretty well.

Purchased At:   AV123

Submitted by HTenthusiast a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2005

Bottom Line:
I'm using the RS250's as main speakers at the moment, but will eventually move them to be rear surround speakers when I upgrade to larger Rocket towers for the front.
You WILL be happy with these speakers! They are absolutely beautiful, the fit & finish is immaculate, the sound is amazing, and the price is about half of its closest competitor. Customer service is also top notch, the guys at AV123 genuinely care about your satisfaction with their product. I know its tough to purchase a speaker without getting to audition it first, but you cannot go wrong with the Rocket line. Their messageboard also has a strong customer following with helpful info and opinions.

Purchased At:   www.av123.com