Odyssey Audio Epiphony

Submitted by Tommy G a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2004

Bottom Line:
Was looking to buy a pair of green mountain europas. Went to the dealer in my area, ( northern N.J. ). Have to say the green mountains are excellent speakers, however the dealer had a terrible attitude and put down my electronics, ( cayin TA-30), which he never heard of but he knew from what I paid couldn't be any good. I decided to look elsewhere and stumbled across review for the Odyessy Epiphany's. Took me 5 weeks to get them but it was well worth the wait. They go through alot of changes during break in , (at least 200 hours) but then they really open up. Nice detailed transparent sound, wide deep soundstage,surprizing bass for their size. Highly recommended

Purchased At:   Odyssey Audio

Submitted by Snilsen13 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2004

Bottom Line:
I went shopping for a good set of bookshelf speakers and I found lots of suggestions, but not much infor (aside from a very favorable review on TNT) to support buying the Epiphony. Thanks to the 30-day trial period I geve them a shot and it was an interesting experience getting to know these speakers, trying to find something better, and coming to the conclusion that these are really special speakers.
I began with these and I went off to a boutique and listened to Triangle Titus (thinking I'd bring them home for a shootout), but instead I brought home Castle Durham 3 speakers. I found Triangles too analytical and not supple enough in the upper frequencies to clearly resolve mediocre recordings. So, back at home I was pretty sure I like the Durahms more until I plugged these speakers into an SET tube amp. With an SET the Epiphony speakers really come to life. Previously I was using an okay SS by Marantz, a simple and honest amp, but with no special capacity to resolve subtlties.
Then a pair of GMA Europas showed up at my door. Now I've been A:B testing Europas and Epiphony for quite a while and I'm in the Epiphony camp. Europas (you can find a ton of data on these on the web) are very highly louded monitors. Now, if you want a monitor, a speaker that puts the instruments right in your face, the Europa is probably not a bad choice. However, if you want a speaker that makes music feel like music should, get a pair of Epiphony.
Allow me to ellaborate. Epiphony speakers give clear, resolving sound with lots of separation between the instruments. They must be very accurately matched spaekers to give the excellent soundstage they produce. Instruments are floating way out in space. With monitors like the Europas, all the instruments are right up front. If you will, the Europas are front-row sound and the Epiphonys are middle-of-the-hall sound. The Epiphonys are also significantly more believable, especially with music that feels as tough you shouldn't be on stage with the musicians (i.e. big band, orchestral, even rock). However, Europas make vocals and piano come to life unlike any small spaker I've ever heard. It's not a toss up; the upfront sound of the Europas can get fatiguing. The Epiphony sound is never fatiguing.
Oh, did I mention the bass? It's good and tight. That plus nice highs and mid-high frequncies, plus great dynamic response, brings precussion to life.

Do yourself a favor and give these Epiphony spekaers a listen while Odessey Audio continues to offer a 30day trials. If you find something better, let me know ;).
My (realistic) dream speakers are currently Revel M20 or M22s ... I'd love to put these Epiphony side-by-side with the Revels, I bet they'ld give them a run for the money.

Purchased At:   Odessey Audio

Submitted by strictlyamateur a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is an extraordinary speaker - musical, open and airy, with sweet highs and deep tight bass, and able to throw a convincing soundstage; the musicians are right there in the room with you.

Unlike "critical" speakers, these make old recordings and equipment sound better (considering I'm using a 20-year-old Sharp receiver and 10-year-old Sony CD changer, that's quite an accomplishment). They sound great on a wide range of music, from rock to opera, and they sound great on low volume too.

I can't say enough about these little babies - I've heard a lot of speakers for $1,000 or less (B&W, Paradigm, Ascend, Sonus Faber, Mirage, Boston Acoustics, Vienna Acoustics, Dynaudio), and these just may be the best. With a 30-day trail period, your only risk is $20-$30 in shipping costs.

But don't take my word on it - read this review - http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/epiphony_e.html - and try them for yourself.

Purchased At:   odysseyaudio.com

Submitted by Drew a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
I originally purchased these to place them as rears in my HT setup, but once I heard them I realized this would be overkill. I have not heard any speaker close to this price range that can even think about competing. I obviously have not heard everything on the market but after twenty years of being a lover of quality sound I enthusiastically recommend the Epiphony. I have replaced my Vandersteen 2'c speakers with these and frankly don't miss them. I'm not saying the Vandy's aren't nice speakers, but IMO the Epiphony is better. I have since ordered another one to use as a center channel for my HT system. They are being used as the fronts on 30" stands. The clarity of all instruments and voices is the one thing that really stands out. What little it lacks in bass is more than made up with my Adire Rava sub(Another great price/performance product). In building my HT, my first and foremost priority was two channel music. These little beauties meet that need. I don't claim to be an "audiophile", but my ears do know the difference between mid-fi and high-end, and the Epiphony fits in the latter. Another winner by Klaus Bunge of Odyssey Audio.

Purchased At:   www.odysseyaudio.com