Occulab Technology PC80 II
Description: 2 way 6.5in woofer,1in tweeter

Submitted by <none> a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 23, 1998

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair of these about 4 years ago, not only for their sound, but also for their imaging capabilities. Their primary use is for classical music, and they have handled that responsibility well.

Submitted by Randolph Scott a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 3, 1997

Bottom Line:
I used to sell these at a store i worked at. These are great speakers. They work best with soft sounding electronics(they can sound bright with the wrong equip). They have great bass (not low) real tight. And their soundstage is great. You might find better speakers when you sitting in the sweet spot, but the sweet spot for these is half of the room. I own a pair of Dalquist DQ-12s, and i still love these speakers, and recomend them to tons of people.

Submitted by JMS a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 10, 1997

Bottom Line:
After my original review of Phase Technology's PC 80 II's, I have listened to several speakers rated at 5 stars by Audio Review's many fans. I felt that it was time to upgrade to a 5 star speaker, and thought I'd audition some of the many products reviewed at this site. Well, lo and behold, I found that I already own a 5 star speaker which easily competes and in many cases, surpasses the sound quality of many speakers rated 5 stars in this site. I'd like to upgrade my previous conservative rating of 4 stars to 5. A well deserved 5 stars I might add!

Submitted by Jack Szydloski a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 21, 1997

Bottom Line:
These speakers are the "mini monitor" type. They are a bass reflex design with ports in the rear, and remind me of JBL monitors I owned years ago, which put out what was then known as a "west coast" sound They retail for $699 and are soon to be replaced by another Phase Tech model. Despite their small size, they are extremely sturdy and can take as much power as I have ever cranked into them. When I purchased them, I owned a Nakamichi Receiver 2 and although I was very pleased with the overall sound, I was disappointed with the bass output. However, I soon purchased an Acurus A 150 power amp and RL11 pre amp. That made all the difference in the world. The Phase Technology PC 80's now fill the room with crisp highs, a very pleasant (if slightly subdued) midrange, and solid, satisfying bass. The louder you play them, the better they sound. In other words, they rock! They also justice to classical and jazz with very pleasing musical clarity. The most exceptional feature of these speakers however, is the soundstage. I have them placed about 6 to 8 feet apart, approximately 1 foot from the wall. Musicians seem to float in the air between these speakers and you can point to the exact location of the singer, as if he or she were sitting right in front of you. I highly recommend these speakers in this price range and can testify that they are demonstrably better than "more popular" speakers which sell for up to twice as much. I rate them very conservatively at 4 stars.