North Creek Music Systems Borealis
Description: cost-no-object, stand-mounted reference two-way loudspeaker system

Submitted by chrisny a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
well its like 7 months now i have the speaker .. its really a kick ass speaker . i have tried a few differnt amps. i'am using a proceed 2 by wired.
i have a a real real good friend . i went to his home the other day . i went there to pick up a nakamiche pre amp and a cd player. so he aske me to listen to the new speakers he just bought , there were a great BW speaker. I did not have the heart to tell hime i did not like them . i know for a fact i would of started a fight if i told him the north creek sounded better , they do!!! I been in to stereo since i was 13 ,, i allways had the best i can afford . when i was 13 i had a pair of KLH that cost bout 400 bucks. for a kid from the city both parents bust there ass for a check. i did ok . i had a ear for good sound . i been told by a lot of people . also people that sell and fix hi end audio. get these kits . i would love to here the better speaker kist Chris NY city

Purchased At:   N creek Web

Submitted by chrisny a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
I just finished North Creek Music Systems Borealis speakers. I have not even fully broke them in yet . I have about 20 hours on them. And i agree with all of the post
on the sound, I like to buy new stuff every few months. But since 911 here in NY
work is kind of hard to find. i wanted a new pair of speakers since a friend gave me a proceed amp. And since there was not much money to spend . i wanted to try a kit cause the price was rite and i was ok with wood. i heard a lot of good things about north creek. The sound That they have is relly clean. It is so amazing. I cant wait till the really break in . The people at north creek were also cool .I just don't understand how to tune them with the straws. if someone can help?

Purchased At:   north creek music .c

Submitted by tom-koehler a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
I use the finished Borealis Unlimited Kit with a CD-Player and a Bi-Amping Stage from Cambridge Audio (D500/A500/P500). I spent lot of time experimenting with other amps and CD-Players, but right now for me this combo together with the Borealis delivers the ultimate musical experience.
The Borealis are the kind of speakers that make me forget that I am listening to my home stereo- they make
make me a part of the musical performance. To achieve this, they had to be placed on stands away from the room walls,slightly toed into the listening position. All this is described in the manual.
They benefit from good stands (I use selfmade sandfilled ones). Coupling to the stand is made by fat spikes that are glued into the stand; to the floor by Sicomin anti-spikes from Audioplan.
This added an extra portion of punch in the low and mid bass, as well as the body of the instruments is defined much better when the Borealis speakers are mechanically grounded that way.
On Santanas Album "Supernatural" I can now feel how Carlos' guitar sings and breathes. The whole soul and body of the instrument is present in the middle of the room. Dynamic contrasts are simply incredible. From the slightest touch of an acoustic passage to the guitar solo that nearly blows the windows- everything is possible. Mark Knopfler on "Golden Heart" just sitting right in front of me with his remarkable low voice. Buena Vista Social Club is so frightening realistic- think I am just in front of the microphones in the recording room with Ruben, Ibrahim, Compay and the others next to me! Never thought Suzanne Vega could be so close.
Savatage's "Poets and Madmen" take my amps to the limits- but the Borealis stay cool, precise and natural, even if the air around them seems to explode when all the drums and heavy amplified guitar stacks are crashing through them. Not to mention the piano sections of this CD: they are reproduced so natural, I think the instrument is placed right in my living room.
The fine thing is: The Borealis can reproduce acoustic, classic, rock, blues or any kind of music with the same incredible precision,accuracy, fine and heavy dynamics and above all emotion.
While performing, the Borealis have the unique ability to make the image of the music and its depth extend far beyond the listening room. As mentioned above, the listener becomes a part of the musical event.

These s

Purchased At:   northcreekmusic.com

Submitted by 4seasonphoto a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
I mostly agree with Edward M. (see below) regarding the Okara's sonics, but note that there is a significant break-in time involved, and a newly completed set of Okaras can sound lean and dry: Rest assured that they are neither when they've been run-in for a few weeks.

Soon after purchasing the Okara kits, I got to hear my first single-ended triode amplifier and horn speakers (Art Audio PX25/Avantgarde Duo @ $5K and $14K respectively) and was blown away by the lively, dynamic sound: Almost enough to make a person forget about buying more hardware and spend the rest of his time buying LPs and CDs! That stuff you read about in Listener Magazine about even noisy old mono recordings really coming alive on a good system? It's true, I've heard it really happening with the PX25/Avantgarde combo.

And that discovery bothered me because the PX25 puts out just 5 precious watts, and the Avantgardes are efficient enough to really fill a room with it. But the Okara II's are North Creek's least efficient speaker, and 30 watts is the smallest recommended amp size, so what to do? Fortunately, I had a 15 watt solid state Advent 300 receiver onhand for experimentation and my listening space measures just 10' x 11', so I didn't have a lot of space to fill. Initial tests were promising: In my small room, I had no sense that the little amplifier was running out of steam when driving the Okaras: Far from it! Classical, jazz, reggae, hip hop, heavy metal--the Okaras seemed to take them all in stride on just 15 watts, and delivered surprisingly wicked bass when called upon to do so.

But as nice as the Advent/Okara combo turned out, I still wanted to try a single ended triode (SET)amp. Fortunately, a friend had just completed a homebrewed 7 watt SET amp built around Electra-Print iron, and I was able to get an extended loan: How do the Okaras get along with such a small amp? To make a long story short, they kick butt! I'm so pleased that I've got a set of Welborne Labs Laurel 8 watt SETs on order for myself. No, the Okaras do not equal the Avantgardes, but when I come back home to the Okaras, I don't feel bummed, and that's saying a bunch.

Purchased At:   North Creek Music

Submitted by Ed Morawski a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
I recently added a dedicated music listening room and purchased some new speakers but due to a foul up in shipping they were lost so I was stuck for something to listen on. To make a long story short I had these Okara II I built doing duty as surrounds for my video setup so I moved them into the room until something else came along.

To my vast surprise, they sounded wonderful! The new room is 10 X 10 and the Okara's fill it to capacity. Since these are only 5" woofers, you can't expect 20hz performance but they do quite well, in fact amazingly well. I believe they finally broke it some hours ago and deliver tight, fast, dynamic low range; probably down around 40hz or so.

The Scan Speak tweeters are well known, but have to be the best soft domes out there. The detail, transparency, and imaging is just out of this world.

I knew these were good when I just sat for hours, listening to one CD after another, not wanting to get up. Strings, piano, vocals- they do it all. As I had just returned from CES 2002, I am pretty familar with what's out there and North Creek should be exhibiting. These Okaras' would easily beat a good deal of what was at the show.

I experimented with many different placements while my son and I listened. Everything snapped into place when I placed them close to the side and back walls and then toed them in slowly until they were aimed directly at the center of the listening position. Wow! 3D imaging and room filling music floating across the front.

I am liking these so much I think I'm going to forget about getting anything else

For reference I am using the following equipment:
Bryston 4B-ST