Mordaunt-Short 880

Submitted by dble_bogeyman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have had these speakers for 10+ years - never want to change to anything else. Very clear, neutral, treble a tad bright but great sound stage and imaging.
During my 10 years ownership I have moved to 4 different countries which involved shipping and storage. I want to change the mid drivers as the rubber is getting a little fatigued. There was a company that bought a whole bunch of drivers for these speakers when Mornant short went bust a few years ago [before being resurrected]. Does anyone have a contact for this company or know where I may purchase a apir a of mid range dirivers?
Appreciate any feedback.

Submitted by bamanimal a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2005

Bottom Line:
I am always astonished by people who write opinions about product they have not lived with. Anyone who knows anything about speaker design , knows by looking at this product that Mike Jewitt put a lot of though into this design. I can tell you I have been involved in speaker design for over twenty years and yes have had favorable reviews in Absolute sound and Stereophile (for what' thats worth). A few points; The first thing you notice is the front baffle has the drivers time aligned. The second thing you notice is the cabinent has no parallel walls and the cabinent material is a ridged inert composite. The crossover used is a 6bd per octive slope on the midrange tweeter combo and hignher slopes on the lower drivers. It uses High quality drivers and uses an isolation chamber for the midrange unit. If you've read the most recent design philosophy of our friends at B&W you know all these components aid in re-producing a lifelike pinpoint soundstage with good depth and width. I've not posted on this site and for the most part don't read reviews. I was just alarmed by some of the comments made by people who took the time to post on this site about this product. A few points: If you purchase a pair of these speakers you will need power, plenty of power. This is a given for 8" ported designs. Hi watt, hi current power. Krells amps work well with this product. But anything that high current and 200watts or more. Secondly, they need to be off the floor approx six inches. This de-couples the speakers from the floor and also gives the listener closer time alignment with the top two drivers. In any case I bought a pair bought without listening to them. I could tell they designed properly and had had some past experience with M/S product. I can also tell you they sound exactly they way I thought they would. Imaging and soundstage are outstanding. very detailed with low cabinent coloration, excellent midrange and tight extended bass. If you can pick up a pair for $1,500 or less you just got a steal......

Purchased At:   Audiogone

Submitted by p_yuan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
I had a friend moving to Shanghai, who didn't want to spend a lot to set up his HT. This gave me a chance to sell my 1st HT system. And now it's my turn.

I was advised to check Linn Keilidh first. Not very impressive but loyal for sound reproduction. It cost around USD1,100 which I can afford but hesitate until I was given an offer for some MS old inventory.

The apperance with piano shining finish is absolutely not my 1st choice. However after test, I accept its sound.

The primary credit goes to MS-860 is its capability for reproducing bass. Its heavy body provides good platform for solid bass. Compared with Keilidh, which also delivers necessary bass, 860 has capacity to generate much over just very easily, when it plays no matter DECCA's 1812 or RCA's Stokowski Rhapsodies. Pleasure to listen and to me, it also behaves strong characteristic of both tenor and bass, those big guys.

Though with some scratches, I decide to accept it at a good bargain which even cuts from the original budget of Linn.

Submitted by Rory Duncan a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
Just an update on review below. Just triamped my P860s and I can tell you that the results are phenomenal.I have a Arcam Diva P85 for the bass drivers (Nordost Blue Heaven spkr cable),Arcam Alpha 8p for the Mid (same spkr cable) and another Alpha 8p for the treble but with QED Profile Silver 12 that I had laying around. These speakers are capable of huge bass weight and extension and the midrange is incredibly fluiditic.
If theres such a word!!

Purchased At:   Bennetts

Submitted by Brian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
Mourdant Short Performance series speakers are very solid and beautiful speakers. Great relaxed sound stage with pinpoint accuracy. Solid bass and very efficient speakers. Non fatigueing sound. Stereophile Class B and well worth the price of admission.