Mission MSM74BK
Description: Mission Floor Standing Speakers - MSM74BK/ Inverted Drive Geometry/ 1"" Sheer Micro Fiber Dome Tweeter/ Dual Profiled Glass Composite 6"" Woofers/ Bi-Wire 5-Way Gold-Plated Speaker Terminals/ Priced Per Pair

Submitted by Pete evans a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2013

Bottom Line:
heard these connected to a mates hifi a cambridge amp 60w per channel and was blown away with the clarity so got a pair off ebay, what a bargain. I have a cambridge one micro system 25w per channel and they work brilliantly a good upgrade from the cambridge s30 speakers i had

Submitted by slipstreamer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2004

Bottom Line:
I have the M74i hooked up to a Rotel RB 980 BX. From the minute I bought the set I was impressed with the 'warmth' the speakers provide, especially when listening to rock/metal, and when watching dvds (no home cinema set up, just regular stereo sound). But I have to agree with what is said in some other reviews here, which is that the mid-section is a bit lifeless at times, especially when the music (for instance when listening to Tool) gets complicated. I feel that there is a certain 'fluctuation' in the sound, and that the Missions are the cause of it. Comparing with the similar set-up a friend has at home, except that he has B&W CDM speakers of some type, my best guess is that the Missions don't control the RB980 BX enough. I'm upgrading to B&W 604S3 very soon to get a more detailed sound image, but listening to the M74i for two years has been an absolute pleasure (also considering that this was my first HiFi purchase ever). For the price you pay for it (though in Holland quite a bit more expensive at 600 euros - about 720 USD - than in other places), you get excellent value for money.

Purchased At:   Mijn HiFi, Netherlan

Submitted by JKC a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is for the updated "i" model. I haven't listened to many different speakers, but after replacing the JBL floorstanding speakers I had I could hear a huge difference in quality of sound. I have a very large room with a 15foot stud and the Missions don't have any problem filling the room. They have good bass and work well for HT use as well as music. They are stylish looking and don't dominate the room visually. I am running these on a Sony HT "UK edition" amp.

Purchased At:   Stereoworld

Submitted by Cengiz Sarikcioglu a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
I auditioned several speakers before choosing these. The fact is no speaker for under $1000 even came close. These speakers have extremely smooth highs with excellent detail and clarity without being in your face bright. The mids are focused and balanced and the lows are full, punchy and well controlled. No matter how high the volume, they never sounded strained or compromised a work horse performance. They are very easy to listen to, no fatigue here. You will have to pay at least 3 times the price I payed for them to attain sound at this level.
I Love'em!!!!!

Purchased At:   Valley TV

Submitted by Matthew Byrne a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
(Price is in Pounds Sterling)

This review is for the "i" version of these speakers - they have an updated crossover and an improved cabinet. I was using Mission m71 bookshelf speakers, and I bought the m74i floorstanders because I really liked the sound of the m71's, but I wanted more extended bass. The m74i's are large (about a metre tall) but very elegant looking and solidly built. They feature banana-pluggable, biwirable binding posts, although I single-wire them with QED Silver Anniversary. Each cabinet sits on four solid spikes, which screw into the base, and are tightened with a seperate nut, all of which is provided.

At low levels, their balance is slightly lean in the midrange (although the midrange is precise, articulate and detailed), with a forward but clean treble, and powerful, well-extended bass. The speakers feature a large rear port, and if they are placed near a wall the bass can become boomy and uncontrolled in smaller rooms. I run them with the supplied foam bungs in the ports - in my smallish listening room this tightens up the bass and greatly improves the control, at the expense of a little extension. Stereo imaging is excellent for a product in this price range; not particularly deep, but nonetheless spacious and well-defined. The speakers are quite sensitive (around 91 dB/Wm) and do not present a particularly difficult load - my 40Wpc Rotel RA-02 is perfectly comfortable driving them to decent levels (although admittedly the Rotel amp is known to be gutsy). The slight fussiness with positioning and the reticent midband cost this speaker the full 5 stars - but if I could give it 4 and a half (or even 4 and 3 quarters!) I would.

This speaker is ideal for home cinema, due to its detailed, accurate handling of voices and powerful bass, and is also great with music, the only caveat being the slightly lean midband. Having said that, I listen to a lot of classical and instrumental music and female vocals, and have no cause for complaint. At the MSRP of GBP300, this speaker is good value - but for the GBP210 or so for which they can be found online, they are an absolute steal.

Purchased At:   www.qed-uk.com