Mission 772
Description: 2-way bookshelf speaker

Submitted by gtjong a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is my second review on these speakers after I replaced them with my new wonders (PMC TB2). – you may check out my first review dated Sep, 2000 –
Ok, after more than two years of extensive listening of this spk and changed to use a so-called ‘monitor-speaker’, I know the actual character of the spk.
First of all, I still miss the silky heights of this little wonders because of its tension and power when playing string. Even my ‘not-totally break-in’ PMC can’t perform the heights as well as the Mission right now. I think the vocal performance is the second strength of the missions. And may be its silky height helps this a lot so I will say the vocal is involving and musical.
It’s time for weaknesses, bass is decent but weak and definitely have no low to hyper low frequency. You should heard some audio editors said that nice bass costs you a lot. So for a small, inexpensive speakers, this is the first thing to forget.
One thing that I really don’t like is its ‘range of working volume level” is relatively restricted. It sounds weak and thin when the volume is small (may be due to the low sensitivity) but it will cramp up quite easily when you turn the volume ‘loud’, just ‘loud’.
Finally, I will say that if you are looking for a nice looking, small musical generators for your bedroom, look no further. But they will restrict your choice.

Submitted by Tu a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
this is a very good pair of speakers for the price. The sound is extremmely smooth especially the high, and the mid is awesome. The voice is very articulate, clear and transparent. That's all I can say.

I've owned sony TA-E9000ES(digital processor), TA-N9000ES Amp and Marantz SR-19EX( which isnt a good reciever. I'm going to return it for the Denon AVR-4800.)

Purchased At:   Discount HiFi

Submitted by rob a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
not a bad little speaker for the bedroom. needs to be placed just right to maximize bass output. i have had good luck getting decent bass out of these speakers at medium sound levels. these speakers do not like to be played loud at all. they are best with jazz and acoustic music. i would highly rec. using a bi-wire as this improves the bass most of all. also using a good cd player is important. i was using a NAD c520 at first and the sound was flat and boring. then i switched to a cambridge audio 500 and big big diference. also using heavy stands is important. i filled my stands with sand and it made the bass much more detailed and tight. for the price, 300., it makes for a good bedroom speaker or a second room speaker.

system: NAD 317 int. amp
cambridge audio d500 cd player
mission 772
tara labs intercons and speaker cable
lovan stands

Purchased At:   audio advisor

Submitted by JOSE a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
In my previews review I omitted a paragraph, it was just a mistake! So here is the complete review:

I have change my speakers from a pair of Kef Q15 to a pair of Mission 772 (I’m a fan of the British speakers!), well I wished (and I wish now) a couple of KEF RDM Two, but the price is about the $1.200, so …, I bought the Mission for $300! Take into account that the list prices for these babies is $600, so it was a very good bargain.

The change was really an upgrade to another level of audio quality. After two years with my Kef I believe that the Q15 is an excellent speaker for the price, I think that is a little more than an entry level, …, in fact I love my old Q15, I think that these are audiophile speakers (for just $350).

In coparision with the KEF Q15, the Mission 772 represent different story, the price is almost twice ($600 list in the US) than the KEF, and so reproduce much less bass (60 Hz – 20 Khz), so the speaker is less efficient (85db/1w/ 1m).

Take into account that for $600 or a little more you could get a couple a tower speakers. So why should I buy a speaker these more expensive, with less bass and inefficient speaker, the reason should be obvious: this speaker represent an upgrade toward a more natural and detailed music experience.

Strengths: The 772 is very detailed, has a deep image, the treble is very silky or soft, and the midrange is natural.

Weakness: a little bright and some metallic sound, but this was solved with some time of work and with another cable, all you need is time to break up the cables, and then the Mission will get soft with an excellent tonal balance.

I got my Mission at a half price at AudioAdvisor, just incredible for $300 (plus $20 for shipping and handling), that is a great deal! At this price the 772 became just unsurpassable, a “big bang for the buck”.

My system:
Integrated Amplifier: NAD 340
CD player: NAD 540
Subwoofer : Boston Acoustics PV450
Interconnects Cables: Apature (with silver conductors)
Speaker cable: bi-wiring with Kimber 4VS

Of course, If I would had to pay the list price $600, I would audition some B&W, Celestion, Tannoy, Paradigm, NHT, …, with similar characteristics in the range of price $600 to $1000. In fact I’ve listen some NHT of $650 and Boston Acoustics of $800 (VR-M50), and think that the Mission 772 are much more natural and detailed, and can be easily compared with more expensive models.

Purchased At:   AudioAdvisor

Submitted by JOSE a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
The change was really an upgrade to another level of audio quality. The Q15 is an excellent speaker for the price, I think that is a little more than an entry level, …, in fact I love my old Q15, I think that these are audiophile speakers (for just $350).

My system:
Integrated Amplifier: NAD 340
CD player: NAD 540
Subwoofer : Boston Acoustics PV450
Interconnects Cables: Apature (with silver conductors)
Speaker cable: bi-wiring with Kimber 4VS