Mission 77 ds

Submitted by John HI FI is my hobby a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2012

Bottom Line:
After reading all the comments below I thought I'd throw in a quick comment.
I've had a total of 5 pair of Mission speakers (& 2 pair of Mission 77DS speakers). 1 pair of 77DSs were very good as expected for Mission speakers ... the other pair terrible. Good pair were Made in England about 10 years ago and the other pair .... almost new in the box I assume were made in China as Chinese "Knock-offs"
I think maybe ubid was selling the "knock-offs" and they do sound really cheap. Just a thought.

Submitted by 2x6spds a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2010

Bottom Line:
I picked up 2 pair of these from Ubid years ago at the ridiculous price of $49 a pair. Best deal in new audio equipment I've ever made. I have 2 HT systems, one uses a pair of Axiom QS8 side surrounds and the other my trusty Mission 77ds surrounds. The Missions give up nothing to the $500 Axioms. The 77ds are surround speakers ... they are not full range (They couldn't be and fit on your wall), however, they blend beautifully with a subwoofer and when properly set up, with a sub or 2, they sound like full range speakers. They are extremely musical. I use both SACD and DVD Audio (as well as DTS music) and these little Missions reproduce music beautifully. They are accurate, clean yet sweet sounding. That means, they are neither flat nor lifeless sounding. They are wonderful effects speakers. I have jumped more than once at the realistic sound of a round getting chambered from a movie track.

I keep an eye out for used 77ds. I picked up a pair for a friend. He hasn't set his system up yet, but he will love them. They are no longer in production. If you can find a mint pair of these at a decent price, you should grab them. BTW 16 gauge, 14, 12 if you need a firehose speaker wire all work great. used some Mapleshade Clearview Double Golden Helix speaker wire I'm not sure of the gauge but would guess 18 maybe 20 really thin (my personal favorite though I'm not sure shoe laces wouldnt be as good) and they made the Missions sing.

Submitted by NotQytRyt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
thread### you are mistaking or bragging about the high priced equipment you own with an objective review.. Ray said he HAD bose..He was smart enough to get rid of them (he gets 5 points) secondly the wire he is using is adequate for these speakers.(intellegent choice another 2 points)
and he did mention in his last review that the sound is good.. ( 2 more for honesty) Are you insane! or just looking to stir up a quagmire. ( 5 point dedection). I like the mission bi-poles BUT there is a better speaker. though not bi-pole for about the about the same $ and they are hands down a better speaker... the BLUE ROOM Mini-pod.
There isnt anything on the market under $500 that comes close. tower..bookshelf.. you name it.. I switched to these 3 months ago and I run 18 gauge wire to them. I have used the 77-ds for more than a year myself before switching and found them to be a excellent choice for a small room.. but in a larger room you can barely tell they are present unless you are sitting close to them (DS-77 position 4'6" above the floor and in the rear.) However the minipods will rock your world.. they are even good enough to be a main speaker in someones stereo system. To all who read this the ds-77 is a top choice.. just not the best choice. BTW U-bid gave me the DS-77 for free. because the took 6 month to deliver them. PS:why would anyone want to have lamp chord thick wire running into a minispeaker? I have tried many different guages of wire myself and have found no difference in the sound on either the ds-77 or the mini-pods. I Use a Pioneer Elite VSX-26tx thx receiver so dont say my equipment is crap either. (we need more people to give objective reviews and less people patting themselves on the back about there qualifications.. I dont think anyone in here is running for public office.. just because you do whatever for a living doesnt necessarily equate to you being any good at it... hey maybe there are a few polititions in here after all. LOL

Purchased At:   ubid

Submitted by tread553 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
i just finished reading most of the reviews for these mission bi-poles. i have come to the conclusion that ray is retarded and could not find his bottom with both hands. i own dt-audio. we specialize in thx ultra audio installations,commercial and residential.i am convinced ray has cooked his missions. using 18 guage wire for rear surrounds is asenine! he has probably burnt his tweeters. i am using # 12 monster cable for my 77d's.these are rated at 80hz-20khz frequency response.80hz is the THX crossover point for all THX ultra speakers. 80hz is not low frequency.if ray knew anything about speaker specifications,he would have known that these would not supply low frequencies. my system is powered by a denon avr 5800 thx ultra receiver, with snell thx ultra 500 series speakers /snell thx ultra18" subwoofers. i am using snell 500 thx ultra dipoles(cost;2300.00 a pair!) on the sides with the missions in the rear.i am convinced there is not a better bipole speaker(mission 77) available at this price point.ray throw away all of your bose equiptment. BOSE REFUSES TO PRINT OR DIVULGE THEIR SPEAKER'S SPECIFICATIONS(why? because if they did no one would purchase their over priced crap).their speakers frequency response's are terrible. those cubes they are so proud of have(full range drivers,ha!) frequency response of 238hz-1589khz. humans are capable of hearing from 20hz-20khz. now you can see how much audio information you are missing. the missions are very good surrouinds for the prices being paid for them.ray if you want something better spend some money....if you think for 150.00 you should be able to get some killer surrounds reaching down to 20hz-40hz,you are surely stupid.spend some money on good speaker wire and push those missions with good clean power.amplifiers capable of pushing 3 ohm speakers(thx ultra stress test) would be acceptable. when you do these 2 things you will hear the missions sing!!!!!! i have been in audio for 29 years........18 guage wire sounds as good as 12 guage?ray,do you have hearing loss?

Purchased At:   ultimate sound

Submitted by Dubl a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
Recently finished installing my hometheater. All equipment is "new old stock" parts to minimize out of pocket costs while getting a "better than normal" system in the end. Bought these on Ubid. They arrived with both speaker boxes "rattling". I opened one up and found that a damping strip glued onto largest cabinet face had broken loose on both. Fixed that quickly and hooked up the pair to my music stereo to make sure they were alright. One was broken,, fuzzy sounding.

Contacted Ubid, they were willing to have me send them back, but I had bought them for a better than normal price,, so I was more interested in them being fixed. Long story short.. After several phone calls, and getting some very high level people involved from both Ubid and Denon America,, All problems were fixed.

Nothing in my system has burned in yet,,, and it still sounds REALLY good. The surrounds do a good job with the rear effects and the dipole design(bipole? Can't remember which is which) really does a good job of eliminating "point source" noises which I feel detract from surround effects generally.
I haven't seen any more of these on UBid recently,,,but if you see some and are in the market.. pick a pair up. They offer good clear sound and should really prove a great addition after they're done breaking in.

Purchased At:   Ubid