Mission 731
Description: Reflex design bookshelf w/ 5.25-in woofer, 1-in tweeter

Submitted by contactos a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought this little speakers for my first audio system. They were a big surprise for the money. They still with me for the last 6 years, but not as a front speaker, but now as a surround speakers.

The best configuration to use with them is with a mini/midi system or whitin a home theater system playing the surround sounds.

Purchased At:   Digisom - Portugal

Submitted by Stanley Ferrer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2001

Bottom Line:

I purchased these speakers to give me a decent sound in a small room/apt and boy was I bowled over. These baby's spit out what you put in, so consider your source carefully. I have a very diverse taste in music and no matter what I play through it I am tapping my feet and snapping my fingers. I have heard better resolution of details and lows, but seldom better musicality. If you're a uppity-purist-snob you'll hate 'em just because you have to, but if you love music (first and foremost) you'll just enjoy, enjoy and enjoy!

Thanks for the read.

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor

Submitted by Big Cooz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
After repeatedly being asked to return my mothers 3 way yamahas back to her system and hooking my wimpy realistics back up, she surprised me with a pair of 731i's for my birthday. Not knowing a lot about this stuff at the time, I questioned their ability when i saw the box size. But gee wiz, they really packed a punch and excellent sound quality right out of the box and everything but the bass was better than the big yammies.

I drive them with a several-year-old pioneer sx301, 65w/ch. The mids and high are quite well balanced in my carpeted 13' square room but the bass does leave a little bit to be desired- can't expect to be thrown out the door with a ported 5.25" woofer but it hums along very fast and effortlessly until the knob is just about ripped off.

Believe it or not, i had a friend stand in the sweet spot and she asked me where the subwoofer was...lol. Then again, the kitchen cabinets rattle when i get on it hard enough... So there is decent bass and it goes pretty low to the ear if you happen to be in it's way but you won't *feel* any of it. The imaging seems to get better as they're turned up unless you happen to be handy with an equalizer.

My 731i's are over 4yrs old now and still privide a rewarding sound. I plan on adding a sub to this pair, making them an excellent entry level setup or small room arrangement.

Submitted by J a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2000

Bottom Line:
Amazing!!! I wasn't sure what to expect from a speaker this cheap but WOW. Very refined. Weighty sound especially for speakers this small. Far from the very best monitors but competitive with speakers under $1K. I like them better than the B&W 601S2 I own. They work great in smaller rooms. I have them paired with my Arcam Alpha8 CD player and integrated.

Submitted by Colin Tucker a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2000

Bottom Line:
Very impressed, Firstly I got these from www.audioadvisor.com with free stands for $250. It's a great deal, check it out. Well with the ceramic stands holding the speakers firmly in their place, these speakers have such detail and sound so great I love them! Some may complain about lack of bass, I agree to an extent, but no small bookshelf speaker is really going to kick out tonnes of bass so if that's what you want either buy a sub or choose a different speaker. These speakers are so great at reproducing sound so musically and with passion, they astound anyone I demonstrate them to. They definitely need a good clear CD/Amp combination to bring out the best in them. But for the money they blow away their American competitors (Bose, Infinity etc) so if that audioadvisor.com deal is still going I'd wholeheartedly recommend them! check it out...

If you're based in the UK, well frankly there are better speakers out there though, check out the Tangent Monitor 9's or Aesis Energy 1.