Mirage Loudspeakers PS-10

Submitted by mirage_user a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2014

Bottom Line:
Users complaining about problems with this sub, e.g. can't get high volume because it rattles, etc., should be aware that this is a SEALED sub. ANY air leak will dramatically affect its performance.

So, get rope caulk from the hardware store, take out the driver and preferably amp plates in the back, put rope caulk around so that it will stop air leaks from the edges and any other screw holes, board chipping, etc., then tighten all screws evenly. This sub relies on what is called ACOUSTIC SUSPENSION for a reason. Without it, the cone is going to flab in the open air like crazy and you will hear all kinds of funny noises. Good luck.

You get these things so cheap today, because everyone is getting rid of them thinking they are faulty, but if you know the trick, you get a nice sub with a tight bass response for pennies. I personally like sealed boxed more than ported.

Submitted by Steve Podkowka a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent speaker for a home theatre set-up. The bass is tight and can be adjusted to one's own taste. It is also excellently suited for music applications. This sub would not be suited for someone wanting to "shake the floor". It has obviously been designed for moderate applications. This subwoofer is in keeping with the Mirage line of products. It is a high-end product for the discriminating listener. The speakers are not meant to be driven to capacity for booming effects. I have my system mated with front Mirage SM-3s. These speakers are almost twenty years old. I have an Energy centre channel and Energy rears. Coincidentally, the Energy product with which I compared this Mirage at the time had the exact same specifications. Obviously, since Mirage and Energy are made by the same company, the speakers were the same with only the nameplate being different. I would recommend this speaker.

Purchased At:   Audio Ark

Submitted by Robert Crely a

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
I do not own this product, my roomate does. Today I was jamming out some P.O.D on his Yamaha receiver with JBL speakers and this subwoofer. After 10 minutes and being on and loud the sub blew. The speaker went. The floor wasn't even shaking. This sub is a piece of junk. My Optimus sub sounds 30 times better and it only cost 50 bucks.

Submitted by Doug Tarsi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought this sub to complete my Mirage surround system. I bought my system piece by piece, and this piece is plain terrible. If you're buying a sub for looks, this sub is for you. If you want a sub with a clean tight punch, stay away from this one. I couldn't be more disappointed. I bought this sub on a close-out and can't return it. If I try to drive this sub at all, it quickly breaks up. If you're considering purchasing this sub, look to a higher end Mirage (perhaps the BPS 150).

Submitted by chief a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 18, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have the sub hooked up to an Onkyo 656 digital receiver. I have Mirage OM-10's as my left and right speakers. I can't seem to get the tight bass I am looking for. I can only turn the level up to about 2 or 3 before the bass is severely distorted. I have tried every placement imaginable and have tried virtually every setting but can't seem to get it right. If anyone has any suggestions please reply back to this column. Right now I am not very happy with this sub.