Mirage Loudspeakers OM-7
MSRP  2000.00
Description: Omnipolar floorstanding 3-way speakers. 1" tweeter, 4" mid, 8" passive woofer.

Submitted by Chris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2012

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair of rough OM-7 with the OM-C2 for $350 off craigslist. These are really amazing speakers. I only have them in my small 12x13 room but can't wait to hear them in a larger room. I have them hooked up to an Onkyo TX-SR875. I have used audyssey to calibrate them. I originally had them driven by an Outlaw 990 with an Adcom GFA-545 amp. I believe the 990 did not do them justice at all. Even on the the full range settings they produced no bass at all. It was very disappointing after reading about how great they were for bass. The Onkyo changed that completely. They sound great. However, I don't know if they are really worth their original msrp. Depends who you are I suppose. I like the omnipolar tech. I think is unique and gives a greater level of immersion.

Submitted by milkxy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2011

Bottom Line:
Soundstage, Detail, Articulation, Frequency Response is Unbelievable. Sub not needed with the Mirage OM-7. The Omni Directional speaker is so fantastic. Best I can describe is listening to a live performance of acoustic instruments without the use of Loud speakers in the performance. Construction is 2nd to none. I would love to find more. Hard to come by. Highly regarded. Will keep to the day I die.

Submitted by kevin5brown a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2004

Bottom Line:
Omnipolar dispersion which most people like once they've given it a chance. (Some people are adverse to omni/bipolar speakers just based on theory alone, without having ever heard them. A big mistake IMO.) Imaging that rivals the best direct radiators, but with a more encompassing soundstage due to the rear drivers. Can take some work to setup correctly. (I have mine 18" out from the front wall.) - 3dB point is 30 Hz, so has ample low end extension, especially if you add a sub (necessary for HT anyway IMO). But I do run SACD and DVD-A full range, and have absolutely no complaints. Build quality is immaculate. Very nice looking speakers. I also have an OM-C2 and 4 Omni 60s for a 7.1 system. (SVS PB12-Ultra/2 sub) The best setup I've ever owned. I did slightly prefer Vandersteen 2CE Signatures up front, but the complete Vandersteen 7.1 system I had previously, had more faults for HT than the faults the OM-7s exhibit for 2 channel stereo. If that makes sense. :-) For those that don't know, the OM-7s are exactly the same as the much more expensive OM-5s, except for the deeper low end extension for the 5s. (Exactly same tweeters and mids.) Save some money, get the 7s, and put the difference towards a dedicated sub that can be positioned more optimally in the room for low freq output.

Purchased At:   SF dealer

Submitted by crisisflower a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
i bought the OM-7 pair as an open box/clearance. They are hooked up to a Yamaha 600CX-U Preamp and Yamaha 600CX-U Amp. I cant say enough about how amazing these speakers sound, you just have to hear them. They are unique sounding due to their unusual omnipolar design so they have a very laidback sound, very musical sounding, especially for jazz. Unlike more directional speakers where it is important to be in the sweetspot, with these you can really be anywhere in room so it is great for a room full of people or a party for casual listening. Im not even going to try to compare them to Klipsch, Infinity, Bose, or any other mass market speakers, these are in another world.

listen to frank sinatra if you test these and turn it up real loud, it will blow your mind.

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by Azeke a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
Okay, I have had these speakers for a little more than a year. They provide great dynamic separation in both stereo and movie modes. The Omnipolar effect in stereo makes me wonder if I sometimes have my rears enabled. I initially had these beauties connected to a Yamaha RX-V3200 receiver, but then I went to separates and now these babies really sing. I highly recommend these speakers, however since they are Omnipolar and not direct-firing it is indeed an acquired taste. You will also need enough room for speaker placement for optimal Omnipolar effect. Your mileage may vary.