Mirage Loudspeakers M5si

Submitted by phmadon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
Mirage M5i

I am still amazed by the sound of these fine speakers. I went to audition the new OM series and was surpriesd as to how good the old M5i's still sound!

I am now using them with tube amplification. Very smooth indeed! String tone is a pleasure to listen to. as is piano.

The thing that you have to watch for with tubes is their lack of control of the bass.

Submitted by Rainer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
The Mirage M5-si are truly great speakers. I have had them in my system only for less than a week by now but I have already noticed that the sound is much more spacious and exciting than with my JBL-L60 speakers which I have enjoyed for the last couple of years.
Make no mistake: the JBL's were and are great speakers but the Mirage speakers simply outclass them.

If you can find them secondhand you should really audition them. Chances are that you will become as addicted as I am! :-)

Highly recommended!

Purchased At:   Renaissance Audio

Submitted by Russ a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
This review is for the M7si

I've lived with the M7si's for about two weeks in my system.
My first couple of days were spent running the M7si's with 200 watt monoblock amplifiers and a 5.1 channel pre/pro. Upon first listen it semmed something was amiss. Judging from it's size I was expecting much more bass than what I heard.
Also, it seemed that there was a dip between the woofer frequency cutoff and the tweeter frequency cutoff. Not a bad sound by no means, but just different from my Energy Audissey 3+2 speakers that I had been using. The Mirages and the Energys are both bipolar speakers and the sound did have many of the same sonic signitures.
The soundstage was so big with the Mirages that at times it was uncanny. I kept checking to see if my rear speakers were running because the soundstage wrapped clear around the room until it met smack dab in the center of my head. I've never quite that effect in my system. Keep in mind that I was only listening to the M7si's in stereo, not multichannel.
Next I inserted a Mirage BPSS210 Subwoofer into the system. I used a Mirage LFX-3 active crossover to send signals over 50hz to the M7's and the rest to the sub. These were a very fine match. If you run the M7's you really should consider a Mirage BPSS subwoofer. I swapped the BPSS210 out for a BPS150i and the results were still quite impressive. Adding either of the subs filled out the bottom end perfectly. Strangely enough the slight dip in the midband didn't continue to be noticable either.
Playing the Lease Breakers cd was quite a sonic assualt. This cd has various orchestral pieces that not only rattles your foundation but also has quieter passages to flesh out the rest of your systems qualities. The M7si/BPSS210 combo sounded better on this cd than any other speaker combo I've had in my system.
Next I switched to Multichannel listening. Running the Mirage OMC-3 center channel and the Energy Audissey 3+2's for the rear. I left the BPSS210 crossed over with the right channel and added the BPS150i for the left channel. Finally I used an M&K v125 for the LFE channel.
The first movie I put in left no doubt that this system was going to be quite a thrill ride. On Super Speedway the sound seemed to swirl to every point in the room. Yet the engines weren't as harsh sounding as I've heard before on my Energy Audissey's or Mirage FRX5's I recently had in my system. Integration with the OMC-3 center channel speaker was spot on. Using the Video Essentials dvd I noticed something unusual. The polarity check sequence showed that I was running them out of phase. Checking my bi-wired connection, I didn't see a problem but I switched them and run the test again. Again it showed that they were out of phase. Maybe it's a bipolar thing, but I've never experienced this with my Energys. I switched it back to where I started and didn't investigate any deeper.
Next I ran the same speaker settup with a 90 watt Pioneer Elite reciever. I ran the M7's full range with the BPSS210 running from the front Pre-outs. This proved to be nearly as good as the 200 watt seperates. You could tell that there wasn't the power reserves as with the seperates combo but it wasn't drastic.
I then ran the M7's bi-amped with 90 watts feeding the tweeters and 200 watts going to the woofers. This worked best of all. Obviously, the more juice the better. These aren't the easiest speakers to drive.
Switching back to the Energy Audisseys for comparison, I noticed that the soundstage receded back to the front of the room. The Energys had better pinpoint imaging and great high frequency extension ( and low for that matter).
The Mirage is and excellent, musical speaker that also worked great for multichannel. It's smooth overall sound made it easy on the ears.
Which is the better speaker? That's a tough call. I never missed my Energys when the M7's were in my system, but I really like my Energys too. Fit and finish are about the same, with the Mirages slightly better. I'd say for my tastes, the Energys would just barely win out over the Mirage. My wife like the Mirages better. Listen for yourself and decide.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Jim Stead a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 31, 1999

Bottom Line:
The M5si has a great ability to produce a huge soundstage and depth of image.With proper placement and angling, even the imaging can be very good. These
speakers can make a simple system like my original NAD 1600/5000 Adcom 555II sound quite good. As you progress in component quality, the Mirages follow right along and sound excellent. I would like a bit more bass extension, and your room needs to be not so bright and reflective..but otherwise these are 5 star speakers for the money. I've never heard anything that can compare to them.
Currently I use a Sonic Frontiers SFT-1 transport, Muse Model 2 HDCD DAC, Audio Research LS-3BR pre-amp, and a completely modified Adcom amp (sounds like a Krell/Classe' cross). I use Mit Bi-wire and single ended interconnects, aural symphonics digital cable. If I ever upgrade the speakers it will be to M1-si's !

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Pheroze Madon a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 20, 1999

Bottom Line:
I had been using a pair of Spendor Preludes, and went speaker shopping for a friend and happened to hear the M1s. They blew my socks off!! I could not afford them and in any case they were just too big for my room. I set up an appointment with the dealer and went with my cds and ended up buying the M5s.
This was 5years ago. I dont regret that impulse buy of mine for a second and I feel they are really great! I am saving up for the OM6!