Mirage Loudspeakers IIIsi Speaker
Description: Vented Bipolar design with one 10-in carbon-filled woofer, 2 5-in midrange and 3 1-in tweeters

Submitted by Jim a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the M5si. I came here looking for thoughts on the M3si and M1si's. I'm looking at those speakers because I want to upgrade, but the M5si that I own are the best speakers I have ever heard.
There are speakers that are more analytically correct than the bipolar mirages. I've heard them. They don't impress me. I prefer music to be involving, soothing and amazing even if innacurate.
I chased precision for a while and I was always dissapointed. I now know, for sure, that music is purely subjective. I think cold precision sucks as much as bloated tube warmth. They're both cheap, and they sound that way. Your tastes may be different from mine. Still, we share something. The impact of a bass drum felt in your chest, the pure crystaline crispness of the ring of a cymbal, and the incredible beauty of a well sung note...lingering in the air. Fantasy? No, not really. All you need now is the "hallucination" that the musicians are right in front of you. In your living room. Welcome to MIRAGE.
Placement and power are critical. Forget these in a small or reflective environment. Get some carpeting, paintings, some comfy fat furniture. Break out a tape measure for placement and Kill those reflections. These bipolars are sending signals from both ends. You'll hate them, for sure, if your room is live.
Given the room they need, given the power they need, given the placement they need, you will be AMAZED. Did I say that loud enough? These are AWESOME.
I have heard Magnepans, Thiels, ADS, Spica, B&W and some fancy 25k speakers that sucked at everything but vocals(they were incredible there!) Nothing is over-all as good as the Mirage M5si, to me. I read interesting things about apogee, but never listened to them.
Today I run the M5si's through MIT Biwire from a Classe' CA300. The amp is fed by an Audio Research LS3BR with digital sourcing by a Mark Levinson #36 and a Sonic Frontiers SFT1. The tuner and analog setups are unremarkable since I use them infrequently. The interconnects are mixed copper/silver but work well with the combination.
The speakers, IMHO, make the sound. I will continue to change my room and ancillary equipment, but the M5si's will likely stay for a long time, unless I can find M1si's!
Next, build the house around the room!

Submitted by Jim a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
Next, build the house around the room!

Submitted by Scott a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
Coming up to nearly 10 years with these speakers. The honeymoon is not over. I still enjoy them everytime I listen to them. Added a BPS-400 sub for the home theatre and the bass is now punishing. I could blab on for paragraphs but that has already been done here..

Here is the real test of a good speaker: I STILL get compliments on how great these speakers sound today. Friend after friend - after an audition of some fine Stevie Ray Vaughn, Simply Red, Dire Straits, and a little Floyd to finish them off.. speechless.

A classic in every sense of the word.

Thanks Mirage.

Submitted by Scott a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2001

Bottom Line:

A classic in every sense of the word.

Thanks Mirage.

Submitted by Daniel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have been looking for a good pair of speakers for some time now, I luckly stumbled upon the classic M-3si. I had a chance to listen to these at a friends house connected to a Music Fidelity A300 amp. He invited me to have a listen and bring my favorite speaker tourture CD's. I was pleasantly suprised at how well these speakers put you in the middle of the music. Huge soundstage fast and dynamic. You must try Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade it's most impressive on the M3-si. He also has a pair if Vandersteen 3A-Sigs. I gave it the same tourture test, the Vandersteen had better bass but I didn't care for the forward quality of the Vandersteen 3A's. I had also looked very seriously at the Sonus Faber Grand Pianos. the Sonus lacked bass and didn't image quite as well as the Mirages. I ended up buying the Mirages and have been very happy. Be aware that these speakers need a good high current amp. Anything less and you will not get the most out of them. These are truly a great bargan.