Mirage Loudspeakers FRx-S8

Submitted by Eddie a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
I own a Bose Lifestyle 8 system that rocks. The highs and mids sound incredible, however, the sub compoent on the system is a little weaker than I expected. Fortunately, this sweet little system is quite versatile allowing you to add speakers, subs, amps, etc. provided you have enough available ports in the back. I decided to add a sub woofer. I decided to bite the bullet and invest in a sub worthy of this Bose system. So naturally I did what any sound nut would have done and that is set out to but a 10' or 12' Klipsch. I was NOT looking forward to paying $400-$700. I walked into Hi Fi Buys and listened to Boston Acoustics 10' and 12" as well as the Klipsch 10' and 12' and the Mirage FRX-S8. The Klipsch definitely performs if you can cut loose of $650. I would have forwned at the salesman if he were to suggest an 8' sub to me at first. However, when I heard the Mirage FRX-S8, compared side by side, all other system components, amps equal, it ROCKED! For half the price this 8' thumped! So much in fact that I could not justify an extra $300 to go with the Klipsch as much as I wanted to. The Boston Acoustics was nice but also more expensive and did not sound as nice as the Mirage. I have be honest, I have never even heard of Mirage. I am pretty much a Bose and Boston Acoustics fan as far as speakers go. So, take it from me, for the money, some of the supposed better 10' and 12' subs can't touch this piece of equipment! Between the Mirage and the factory Bose sub, my system rattles the windows!

Submitted by Ed a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
Very nice sub overall. It fills the bottom end nicely - continues seamlessly where my main speakers leave off. It lacks the clarity of more expensive subs, but we're talking much, much more expensive models. I'm using it in my college system. The details are as follows:

Speakers: PSB Alpha Mini's
Sub: Mirage FRX-S8
Amplification: old Sony receiver/amp (freebie)
Source: SB AWE 64 (CD's, mp3's, movies, you name it...)

Submitted by Steve Ranelli a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a very good sounding subwoofer.It sounds alot bigger
than it really is.The 8" woofer produces non boomy quick and
tight bass.You only hear the bass when needed.No fake sounding bass when you don't need it.The subwoofer came packaged with feet you can attach to the bottom of the sub
if you want to.Everything was neat and pacakaged to pefection.The unit is not very big so you can hide if from
your wife if need be the case.I have the sub in a good sized
den and it fills the entire room with bass when needed.I
don't have my sub set up properly because I am having to
set the sub on 8 to get any bass out of it.I think I have
it hooked up to the wrong output.But that is my fault.I am
going to buy a second one since my A/V receiver has 2 sub
inputs.I love this sub.My klipsch was nice but sounded to
boomy and in your face all of the time.This is also a great
sub for audiophile listening.It has a great sound,where you don't really notice it until the music brings it to your
attention.I highly recommend this product.

Purchased At:   Hi Fi Buys

Submitted by Wayne King a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a strong little subwoofer as far as power and solid punchy bass, especially on music once you get the crossover and level set.I think using the external crossover feature allows for a smoother transition between it and my Mirage avs-500 speakers.I am using a Sony str-333 Es for Movies and Music.This is probably going to be one of the most underrated subs because of it's small driver and but as I am concerned the build quality and sound denotes a subwoofer that is much more exspensive than it is .P.S. thinking about getting a second one.

Purchased At:   tweeter

Submitted by hristos. dimitriu a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
very.clear.and.monster.for.h.t.and.music.for.the.prise.5.-..star.and.5.for.the.sound. .

Purchased At:   audio.center