Mirage Loudspeakers FRx S12
Description: 12" sub with 125w amp/600w peak

Submitted by stephen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
Mirage powered sub

This sub has excelt sound at high and low volume.

big sound great funconality on movies and music alike

Submitted by frogman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
I live in Inuvik which is located way up in the Northwest Territories, Canada. There is not a lot to do up here during the long cold dark months of winter, so I got into HT years back. I purchased a set of Mirage AVS-500's for my digital sound system. These little speakers are great but they only go as low as 90HZ, so they needed some bass extension. I intially picked up a Nuance Star Sub to go with this system. I did not care for this sub as it only dropped to about 30HZ and was boomy,lacked deep tight refined impact. Movie scenes were clouded over by an over abundance of boomy bass.
I decided to keep the speakers and replace the sub with a Mirage FRX-S12 sub. I thought this sub would match my system better. The published reviews and specs. looked impressive. So I located a Mirage dealer, bought the sub and arranged the shipping; I could hardly wait. I got the sub on a Sunday, my fellow friend in HT showed up, excited as I was to see and here this infamous "Mirage Sub".
We opened the box (heavy large box) and were immediatly impressed by the finish and build quality of the sub. We hooked it up the same as the old sub, same settings for volume and crossover and placed it in the old Nuance sub's location, which was in a corner on the left side front of the room. We set the voulume to just past half, phase in reverse and the crossover at 85HZ.
We decided to use "T2 Special Edition" on DVD as our test material. The opening scene with the ball of lightening exploding and shattering was impressive. We were pumped right off the go, without any real adjustments made. When we got to the mall scene were Arnold the boy and the new T1000 meet, we realized we needed a few adjustments. The shot gun blasts and repeated gun fire exchange lacked punch and loudness. I changed the crossover to 80HZ, raised the volume to three quarters and disovered the +3db gain switch and turned it on.
Did I ever turn it on, we could now feel the shot gun blasts in our chests and we could feel every gun shot as well, (I wanted to cry). The couch beside us was vibrating and shaking and we felt a tingling sensation in our feet and legs, which is all good stuff. This subs bass response is excellent, deep tight, loud and acurate, there is no boomy over done bass for the scenes that reguire bass. I love this sub, and you will too, buy it now, you will not be sorry.

Purchased At:   Audio Ark

Submitted by frogman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have a nice little theatre happening up here in Inuvik. With it being so cold and dark out of much of the year, I got into HT years ago. I was looking to replace my Nuance down firing boomy base sub with something more accurate and tight with deep feelable base.

I have the Mirage AVS 100 & AVS 200 satellites and have been very impressed with there sound as well as have my moving going friends. They may be small, but they are impressive none the less (they just do not play low). So I thought a Mirage sub might do the trick. Well it does the trick and more. I do not listen to much music, I primarly watch movies on my system. I was so impressed with the base of this sub that, I almost cried. It is deep, tight, loud and not at all boomy, like my old sub was.
The Unicorn chase scene in "Gone in Sixty Seconds" felt like I had the car in my living room, very accurate and real sounding (did I mention loud and deep). The mall scene in "T2" with the repeated shot gun blasts and pistol fire sounded real and this sub caught every one of the shots.
My friend who just purchased two Yamaha 10" YST320's(which I also tested on my system) was equally impressed by this sub. If you want a rocking movie sub and a sub that is also capable of playing life like sound for music then this is the sub for you.

Purchased At:   Audio Ark

Submitted by aHlOy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
WOO! this baby was kinda huge... never expected it to be this big... Actually i intended to settle for an FRX-S10.. but there was no stock... thus i got the FRX-S12... unpacking was a diffculty.. for me ... an 18yr old... the sub was really heavy... 25kg.. soon enouf... i carried it in my room... & was ready for a "BLASTING" session... i made used for the LFE connection... THe nice thing about the mirage was.. there was a separate LFE connection that bypass the crossover on the sub... juz to the top of the crossover knob & the volume lies.. an equalization switch... +3db/-3db/0db... of all the mirage FRX subwoofer series.. there was a PHASE control! man... i played the OST of STARWARS EP 1 - phantom mance... & played a track 11 THE DROID INVASION.. the bass.. low bass.. kicked in! I raised the volume knob juz pass the 9th mark... & boy was my hair vibrating! felt like i was being electrocuted... I tried using it for movies... & i got PEARL HARBOUR.... the explosions rang... when the USS arizona was hit by a torpedo... my table & chairs shooked... & the worst part was... mum complaining to turn it down.. coz it was late @ nite!

Submitted by Mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
I was originally on track to pick up one of the newer Energy Encore subs. I have an all Energy setup (C-6s, C-2s, AC-300) but when my dealer couldn't get a delivery date setup from the supplier they went ahead and sold me the Mirage at the same price. The Energy is an 8" cone and the Mirage is a 12" cone. I think I ended up in a much better position with the Mirage and am very happy with it. It mostly is used for movies and so far hasn't failed to impress me it's sound. With the controls on the back panel it's very easy to tweak it to match your system.

I think this may be an older model though. I believe it's the same model as the Energy ES-12 which is a couple of years old. I know that Energy is stopping the Connossiur(sp?) line but they are great speakers if you can find them on sale.

I was able to get my sub for $500 out the door. It lists for $650. Value rating reflects my price. Your mileage may vary.