Mirage Loudspeakers FRx-Five
Description: Floorstanding speaker

Submitted by ynottony a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2004

Bottom Line:
I purchased these speakers about 3 years ago. I dont think they are being continued as mirage is now pushing the omni & Om series speakers( nothing wrong with that).
Speakers are to me about personal taste in tone ( within a set budget) Some you like and some you don't, does not necessarily mean one is bad and another is good, only that they do or do not match your personal taste.
Personally I love these speakers, I really enjoy the broad expanse of sound that the bi-directional speakers give. It was important to me that the treble was not harsh when listenning to music and I find that the bass can still rattle the windows when viewing DVD's.
These were my first Mirage but were not my last.

You could probabaly pick these up pretty cheap now and I recommend you give them a listen with a wide variety of music.

Submitted by amandahifi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
exellent balanced and natural sound.beautiful cherry finish.typical api fit and finish!

Purchased At:   advance

Submitted by Mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
Overall, not too impressed with these speakers. During their 8 month trial, I kept convincing myself they would break in, or I would learn to appreciate them. They seem to lack the full, natural sound of other speakers in the $500-600 price range. Mids and highs are quite clear, but seem too restrained, dry and lifeless. Bass is most definitely lacking (to be expected in a speaker this size). Definitely not worth 549.00, and not even worth the 299.00 (IMHO). Traded them for a pair of Klipsch SB3B bookshelves (a significant upgrade).

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by michael drury a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
for the price these speakers are best in there class.

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by Russ a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
I've used the Mirage FRX5's in my system as a front speakers and as a rear speaker for about two months.
As a front speaker, I was pleasantly suprised by it's smooth sound while maintaining exceptional clarity.
The build quality, while not top grade, is fine for a speaker in this price range. Rapping my knuckles on the side I noticed more of a hollow sound than I am usually accustomed to. The only comparably priced speaker I had on hand was an Energy 3.1E. It seems more solid to the knuckles but it's also half as tall.
Despite the somewhat thinner walls, these speakers were a pleasure to listen to. This speaker went lower than it's size might suggest. The bass was more on the accurate side than on the loud boomy side. Some people might say this speaker is bass shy, but it's there, just not in your face like many lesser speakers.
The soundstage stretched from speaker edge to speaker edge, giving accurate placement of the instraments. I've been using bipolar speakers for quite awhile now on my front channels and switching to the front radiating FRX5's was quite refreshing with it's imaging.
With multichannel sources it was equally impressive.
Mirage makes the FRX-C to be paired up with thse speakers but I opted for the OMC-3. I think the added cost was well worth it. I was suprised how well thse integrated with each other.
Moving the FRX5's to the rear channels and alternating between the Mirage M7's and Energy Audissey 3+2's in the front, I found the FRX5's to make a fine rear speaker, although a bit short. Be creative and raise it above ear level. I prefer a direct radiator in the rear channels and with the added bass extension of the FRX5's, you get quite a sonic improvemnt over many of the small bookshelf speakers that are often used in the rear. I've used Mirage 90i's,Energy 3.1e's,Energy Take 2's and Energy Audissey's as rear channels. I'd say aside from the Audissey's, the FRX5's were my favorite.
I think that the list price may be a bit high on the FRX5's. If you can get them for 25-30 percent off, I'd say they are a good value. You slouldn't have any trouble finding them at these prices.