Mirage Loudspeakers 290i
Description: 1" titanium dome tweeter and 6-1/2" injection molded woofer. Bookshelf size.

Submitted by Courtney a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2004

Bottom Line:
I stumbled on these in a want ad magazine - what a find. Years ago, I heard them up against a pair of Energy monitors and was very impressed. My main system consists of JBL 250ti's driven by a Crown MA 2400. The 290's I use everyday driven with a 100wpc Kenwood receiver going through a Definitive Tech 1500 powered sub. The Crown/JBL system is a little to large for the room - hard to listen to quiet passages or low level music when the amp's cooling fan can be heard over the music!! It's amazing how well the 290's with the sub stand up to the JBL's. With a good subwoofer setup, Mirage has a world class system. Although the bipolars have their advantages, to me the difference is fairly subtle. The fact is, these M290's are outstanding - especially considering the price. Their ability to image well and render voices/instruments naturally is the equal to sytems costing many, many times more. They only lack very low bass response - something they were not intended to handle - hence the sub recommendation. If you can find a well maintained pair out there used - snap them up - you won't find anything better at anywhere near their diminuative cost. It figures Mirage would stop building these - I imagine they were too costly to build in a market dominated by the "how much cheaper can we make it" mentality.

Purchased At:   private party

Submitted by Keith D a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
I had to get rid of these gems in the end - They wouldnt fit a new furniture arrangements.....

For their size and price these speakers have a remarkable quality of bass both extension and output and the treble unit is also of very high calibre, and worthy of more expensive applications. The two however are not that well integrated and ther is something of a well in the midrange. this suits some music better than others. A lot of emotion in female solo vocals is lost and orchestral strings lack detail. But overall they are/were an excellent compromise.

Submitted by Paul Bernardini Jr a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 10, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have been using the speakers sicne '95. They are driven by a modest Rega integrated (30wpc). They are augmented from a Velodyne 8-10x.
What made me buy these speakers was their sexy, tube-like sense of space, image and depth. The tweeters are surrounded with a cloth membrane that keeps the titanium from mis-behaving. Those who demand that dry, British midrange will probably not like this speaker in the long run. However, I find that it sounds more "musical" than competing bookshelf speakers. They are sitting on the API complementing steel stands. The bass is very British, however. There is no midbass hump to speak of. Overall, a very flat sounding speaker, but not so much as to make the high end sound lack over-analytical and boring. I am planning on upgrading to the 500/pr Maggies, for the same qualities: an emotional sense of space, image and depth.

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener

Submitted by Greg a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 29, 1998

Bottom Line:
After listening to similar offerings from B&W, Paradigm, Boston Acoustics, Mordant Short and Tannoy I found the 290's exceptional in sound staging/shaping for the money (ie: not quite an audiophiles' budget?). I found these speakers to fill a 12x24 room nicely. However, if you're looking to fill this room with "head banging, wall shaking, earth quakin'" sound, better pair these up with a +150W sub-woofer -like most bookshelves, bass is underwhelming. But, the 290's sound was as close to perfect sound reproduction than anything at it's price - not too warm and not too harsh. Paradigm, B&W and B.A. were too 'artificial' for me whereas the Brits (M.S. and Tannoy) seemed too warm and laid back. To fully appreciate, I recommend a decent CD player. It's a pity Mirage discontinued the line. If you can find a used pair - buy em'.

Submitted by Mason a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 21, 1998

Bottom Line:
After nearly 15 of listening to the same Radio Shack speakers (I never really needed bigger ones, plus I never really had the money to upgrade), I finally got the chance to get some really good speakers. I decided to look at several of the high-end stores in Cleveland, listened to Polks and Klipsch, Advents and Infinitys, and even a small pair of B & W's (which I almost bought), I decided on the Mirage 290i's. Wow. I couldn't believe this sound was coming from these small boxes. I love tight, controlled bass and a midrange that smacks you upside the head. These speakers delivered. After auditioning all kinds of music, from Steely Dan (MF Gold AJA) to Joy Division (SUBSTANCE) to the Melvins (STONER WITCH), I was convinced. I took them home. Even with my modest Kenwood 65 watt per channel receiver, these speakers cook. They don't shake the earth like some bigger speakers, but I'll take the wonderful high end over overwhelming bass (plus, the room I use them in is pretty smally anyway). I guess if I upgrade my amp and get a subwoofer, I should have some serious sound going. -Mason