Meridian M60

Submitted by Le Marquis de Sade Charles a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2000

Bottom Line:

I have a pair of M2 Meridian active biamplified loudspeaker. I am a completly satisfied costumer. I dont hve pay very much for those, it is a second hand that I bought to a belge guy for 600 dollards. This price include a Meridian preamp and amp(inside). The sound is, how can I describe the sound, it is true, very true. For thos who say that digital sound is harsh, they just miss the loudspeaker/amp match. When I used as a child to listen to the rain falling on the forest, and then I listen to it on my AV system, whoaw I had a thrill! Thats the way it should be! or if you have already listen to a hammer smashind a nail, sound like that a reproduce with pristine clarity,the instruments imaging of the "Passages" of Ravi Shankar and Phil Glass is simply true ans perfectly placed and breahting. I listen to classical, modern and jazzy Indian music. I also listen to Primus and other things like that. The sound of the Brown Album is analogique(rancho relaxo tape) and beautiful, the Frizzle Fry and Suck on This are punchy and deep, never agressive! I also listen to Beetoven Pierre Boulez, Yves Robert, Mc Laughlin, Corneloup, Meshugga, Metallica, Radiohead, The Projeckt, King Crimson, B.L.U.E, Earthwork, The Residents, Pink Floyd, Stanley Clarke, Jaco Pastorius, Trilok Gurtu, Cannibal Corpse, James, The Cure, Tiamat, Nirvana, Stanley Jordan, Ali Akbar Khan, Queen, Immortal, Bill Brufford, Jeff Bucley, RAVI SHANKAR, RAVI SHANKAR, and ... RAVI SHANKAR............. .. .. . . . ...

Submitted by Michael Bosman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
Prior to purchasing the M60 active speakers I auditioned many passive loudspeaker and amplifier combinations, from various manufacturers (Meadowlark, Naim, Mission and Meridian). Eventually I found the Meridian DSP5000 speakers with Meridian CD player to be a revelation in clarity and detail. Not ready (nor rich enough) to go fully digital I settled for the analogue M60 speakers which use the same cabinet, drive units and amplifiers as the DSP5000. My CD player is a Meridian 508.24 and preamp is NAD 1000S Monitor Series. Connection from preamp to speakers is via balanced cables.

The music I listen to is a mixture of classical, rock, and electric blues. The sound stage and imaging on instruments and vocals is outstanding and reproduction of percussion, especially drums and cymbals, is quite superb. On good live recordings, the venue's ambience is clearly reproduced. Bass power is remarkable and very satisfying, and gives a real punch to the music.

After three months of listening I am still thrilled by the sound of these speakers. I can play them loud enough to imagine myself at a live venue, and the sound remains clear, involving and thrilling to listen to. There is no aspect of their performance that I can criticise.

Setting up is important though - use the balanced inputs rather than the unbalanced (balanced working opens up the treble) and experiment with the position of the speakers in the room to get the best bass response.

Submitted by Emilio Foxell a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
Best type of ssytem for conventional box speakers bettered in my experience only by Quad panel spekers with valve monoblocks.