Meridian A500
Description: Passive Floor Speakers

Submitted by Les Adams a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2005

Bottom Line:
I bought these A500's recently on Ebay to replace my Mission M75's. What a difference! I decided to buy second hand as I could get a better pair of speakers for the money and I really can't imagine getting anything else for £250 that sounds like these!

The midrange, although a little prominent at times (that may be my room acoustics) is quite superb and the highs are sweet and clear. I find them a little lacking in deep bass sometimes. One example of this being on Grace Jones' "Private Life" where they do not quite capture the depth of Sly Dunbar and Robbie Shakespeare’s bassline. However, for £95% of the music I play which spans from rock to jazz to dance R&B all points in between, these speakers are quite simple superb.

My setup is a Garrard 401 / SME 3009S2imp (non-det shell) / Shure V15Vxmr - Denon AVR3801 receiver used only as a preamp at the front, the power comes from a Quad 405-2 which sounds much fuller and although slightly less powerful than the Denon it is more than adequate for achieving some very impressive SPL without any sign of running out of steam.. Although it does get rather hot! My other source is a rather old Arcam Delta 70.3 CD player, but these speakers just bring it to life!

Imaging is awesome. The soundstage is pin-point accurate and these speakers really get the listener involved in the music.

I did however manage to blow a tweeter by accident when switching from vinyl to CD without lowering the volume.. But I took a trip to Meridian and they GAVE me a new tweeter! Now THAT is service!

I think it is a great shame that Meridian no longer make these speakers or at least something passive. Their digital powered system is very good, but out of many people's price range.

On a final note, in my room I played around a lot with placement before I got the best from them. They do NOT like being against a wall, the bass becomes very wooden and prominent. These speakers, like most floor standing speakers definitely need some space around them to make them sing!

Highly recommended. 9/10. If you see a pair for sale, buy them!

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by dkord a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2004

Bottom Line:
I purchased this stereo pair through a local audio retailer along with the matching 506 CD and the 551 integrated. This 34 inch high speaker by Meridian is really different and better than a lot of others that I've used and quite attractive with the dark glass top plates that are inlaid into the wood. With 2 6.5 in woofers and a dome tweeter this small footprint black tower delivers sweet, absolutely clear mids and highs and has a way of drawing you into the music and saying, "Hey, come'on over here and give a listen!". Imaging and depth are excellent and you get the sense of space projected throughout the room. It has a small footprint and a plinth and floor spikes that helps stabilize it on carpets. I found that uptilting them a bit in front helps to focus the sound at the main listening position. It seems really not that fussy about sources and amplification and I've run them on cheap equipment with OK results probably because they are so easy to drive. These are the only passive speakers Meridian made besides the A-2 bookshelves and I guess they both could be found on ebay with a little luck. If anyone out there has any info on the A-2's please email me. I would be interested in finding a pair.

Purchased At:   The Audio Store, New

Submitted by rick brown a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
Sadly Meridian have left the passive speaker realm now producing only active and digital active speakers - a great shame as the A500 has a rich tonal quality sharp treble, rich bass and vitality superb build quality too - as is the norm for Meridian products

Purchased At:   7oakshifi

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
I do agree with the last reviewer. This is a good speaker. Compare to Dynaudio, it has different approach. This give you the best mid and mid low, extremely UK style. And it very easy to drive.

Submitted by william graft a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 10, 1999

Bottom Line:
The first thing I noticed when the A500's were turned on was the tremendous reproduction of sound. I was very impressed...these are Meridian's only non-powered speakers and boy-oh-boy do they sound good....I also own a pair of D600's with three on-board amps producing 65watts each, after the cross-over, and the A500's are better...not as much bass, but a true quality not found in the digital or powered speakers....and at more than 1/2 the price...I listened to just about everything you could imagine...Joseph Audio 22's; Vandersteen's; PSB; Linn; Tannoy; Paradigm; Maggies; etc...etc...and with the exception of the Joseph Audios I found the A500's to be every bit as good or better....and $1000 less than the Joseph's...and not really any difference...Do yourself a favor and listen to these and take your check book....I give them a five rating

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile