Martin Logan Monolith III

Submitted by David R Smith a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2014

Bottom Line:
See my earlier review on the Monolith III (pur date 1992) when I powered the ESL panels with a Pass X350 SS amplifier (700W/ch into 4 ohms) and Pass X3 preamp and used a Sony SCD-777ES SACD player as source. Since then, I have upgraded to the even better sounding Pass X350.5 power amp. Also, a few months ago I blew a woofer on my Monolith III and tried to buy a replacement from the factory, but as the speaker is over 20 years old, the woofer supplier is out of business. So after researching for about 3 weeks, I purchased a pair of 500W aluminum cone, long throw, high definition 12" woofers from Peerless (new Model XXLS-P835017). These excellent and fast woofers are actually similar in many electrical specifications to the originals (I am an EE), except for their higher power handling and their better sound. The bass is now tighter and deeper, but not before I purchased two Velodyne SMS-1 Digital Woofer Correction Systems. With each woofer now individually equalized to my room, and their crossover points perfectly tailored to match the equalization curves of the M-L IIIx (EXOS) active crossover, the bass is far better than the original stock speakers - deeper, tighter, better defined, no boomy hangover, and just overall more musical and realistic.
Also, after reading many glowing reviews (ref. Sterophile Mag), I recently purchased the awesome Sony HAP-Z1ES ("Z") HD Digital Audio Player. Wow!! This thing is better sounding than any CD or SACD player that I have ever auditioned - clean, articulate, 3-dimensional, musical and a dead quite noise floor. All of my CDs are now ripped to 16-bit/44kHz WAV files and stored on the Z's internal hard drive, so never again do I need to go off and search though cabinets full of CDs to find a certain album - they are all on the Sony at a touch of a button! And my smartphone app can fully control the Wi-Fi connected Z. So now my modified and equalized (bass only) Monolith IIIx speakers sound far better than ever. Wow, I'm loving it!! .... News Flash .... This just in .... M-L has just released the "Son of Monolith", the Neolith (Nov 2014). Check that baby out! So after being discontinued since year 2000, M-L has reinvented the Monolith as their very best speaker ever, the Neolith is the new ESL World Reference Speaker System! Just goes to show - what goes around comes around. Indeed!

Submitted by Kirk Hammond a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2014

Bottom Line:
I have owned many amazing pieces of audio from sound lab ultimate ones to Jm lab grand utopia bes . Not to mention many in between. I went through three pairs of nova Utopias regular Utopias ml prodigys at least three pairs and original summits three pairs. I found these speakers on craigslist for a great price thinking they would fill in before I picked up the summit x or the clx with subs. Well I was in for a major surprise . The monolith 3s crushed my wonderful prodigys I just sold. They are more detailed and open with a larger soundstage and much better separation . I still have not ordered anything else and every time I listen I am always shocked at how realistic these speakers are. I sing with many great vocalist on a regular basis and feel the monolith sounds as close to being beside them as possible. One of the best speakers ever regardless of price.

Submitted by planartubeman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2008

Bottom Line:
Unbelievably realistic speaker (with synergistic electronics). If you buy a pair be prepared to upgrade all your signal chain unless you already have high end gear. Have heard them sound fantastic with only one SS amplifier-a very expensive and powerful beast! I run my panels with VTL tube monoblocks for an incredible sound with zero listening fatigue. How anyone can return to cone speakers after living with these is beyond my understanding. Female voices soar so sweetly.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by brian castle a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
I want to share my pleasure listening to the Monolitic III's. Incredible soundstage and transistion to base after proper placement. Tube amps (mono) are a must for that real life stage sound. I drive each panal with Yakow Aranov 100W tubes. KAV 250's work fine for each bass. These speakers will find your weak component, so be prepared to upgrade. Vinyl recordings are sweat. If you use CD's be prepared to shell out more bucks. I finally chose a used Krell KPS 20i to spin my CD's.

Purchased At:   private

Submitted by ChuckyBoy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have owned Martin Logan speakers since 1992 and have been completely taken by the ESL's massive strength in the midrange frequencies. So, when it was time to upgrade the Sequel II's, I went to check out the Monolith III's. I spent weeks comparing them to the latest and greatest dynamic speakers within an equivalent price range. I went so far as to go blind-folded in order to avoid a bias for brand or price. And I settled on the Mono III's. Once they arrived at my home and were connected, I found they were in need of significant burn-in time. And power. While the SL3's were little piglets, the MonoIII's are state-fair-prize-winning-sized hogs! But then, when is having too much power a bad thing? I acquired a Krell KSA 250 for the panels and a Krell KAV250a for the bass frequencies. (And swapping my 20amp switch to a 30amp switch in my electrical panel.) Having tried the passive approach, I much prefer the bi-amped sound through M-L's great Exos active x-over. The sound is truly remarkable. While placement is a challenge, once the sweetspot was located, the soundstage became a mile wide and 100 yards deep! And the detail was so sharp that weakensses in source material are always revealed! I expected the bass frequencies to be the speaker's greatest weakness (quite noticeable on the SL3's) but was pleasantly surprised with how quick and tight the subs reproduced sounds. The active crossover also helped a ton at this point with flexible adjustments to match my room through both the contour and boost capabilities.) I have since heard a few dynamic speakers that have caught my ear (ie Vandersteen but at nearly 2xs the price), but have never regretted my decision to buy the Mono 3's.