Magnepan SMG c

Submitted by Analoguer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2005

Bottom Line:
What a saga! I'd Heard lots of good things about Maggies and these were available locally - the place I'd just moved from actually - so I took the plunge. Now I'm very glad I did, but at first...my old AMC Integrated was no match at all. So I got a pair of B&K ST-140s and bridged 'em. Then I dragged out my old MF "The Preamp" and hooked it up. Things started to get much better but had to do a LOT of moving(of everything) to find the precise location/position so that they did what I expected from them. Took about a month to get things just right. But for the first time I felt glad to be widowed, since my late-wife would have reached for a loaded shotgun long before completion! But in retrospect it was well worth it! The results are magic and with the Hsu subwoofers linked in as well - another week of tweaking to get that balance right(isn't audio FUN!)- things couldn't be better. Especially with my phono tube preamp(I'm getting a MF X-10D for the SACD player next). From Orchestral to rock/jazz ensembles it really is like having a concert hall in the living room. In retrospect though,since I had to upgrade the amplification & add the subwoofers I'd planned to sell, it was by no means an exercise in cost effectiveness: but that's HI-FI! Right lads & lasses???!!! Seriously though, I'd recommend getting the next one up model and dispense with the subwoofers if buying new. The Maggies are not something you can buy as a stand-alone purchase irrespective of other considerations. These have to be part of a well though out system more than any other component. For all that, well worth the time and effort spent in getting things right:if you have it that is!

Submitted by hiep to a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers back 1995($1100 ca). After almost 7 years these speakers are really come alive when I drive them with Classe CA 201 power amp. Before that I drove them with a mid fi power amp Yamaha MX 800. Final word - Japanese electronic just for look, hi tech or fit your wallet, you want real music start listening Canadian made products, American, Bristish, French, or even some Australian speakers like Dunchtech, Krix etc. You even surprise with price wise, some of the system even a lot cheaper. Bottom line is my speakers now worth around few hundreds. But now they sound great, detail and I can hear real bass of Maggies. Classe gives them warm in high, authority in low, mid more smooth out and clarity. I am thinking upgrade to 1.6 qr series for more lower bass, but I just afraid that they bigger and accousctic would change a lot in my room. This is only the draw back of Maggies. If you shopping for a used pair of Maggies I will sell them if interested. If you own these speakers and have been disappointed with your listening try new amp like I did. Maggies really suck out alot of juice from your amp. If your amp can double power eg. 200w/8ohm,400w4ohm it will do. Remember stay away from Japanese Electronic, its only good for your kids or wife. Heavier amp is better than light one as I experience. Happy listenner!!!

Purchased At:   TORONTO

Submitted by Michael Heine a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
They are excellent. Period. But thing can go easily wrong. Use the 1 Ohm resistor, place the ribbons on the outside, angle them a little inwards - et voila! Great sound

Submitted by Santhiran Sunil a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 10, 1999

Bottom Line:
Magnepan makes good stuff.I have the 1.6R in my main system. Sounds wonderfully coherent with the right cable, In agreement with previous reviewer:
My experience is that flat cables like the Goertz exacerbate the brittle highs and make the Maggies too ear piercing. With purist Audio, they mellow out.

However, the SMGC that I purchased for my room were
intolerable , even with thick sounding cables like Cardas Golden cross.

It may be a cheap, but it is quite a horrible sounding spkr compared to its brethren Maggies.

Submitted by Edward Sciori a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 3, 1999

Bottom Line:
I;m now using this in my AV system with a Muse subwoofer and it rocks. the ribbons articulate the treble and vopcals better than box spkrs.
In a normal Hi Fi system, Ive found coax spkr cable types to work best , It sounded very flat with Nordost and Goertz.
My view that it is " Budget Price; but NOT budget sound, as commented earlier.

Obviously the 1.6OR would be better but price wise, this is a budget beauty