Magnepan Magneplanar MG3.6

Submitted by Timoteo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2011

Bottom Line:
A previous reviewer said his Maggies were distant and very laid back, suited mostly to jazz.

They require vareful choice of amps due to their 4ohm load and power requirements. They very much reflect the electronics in use - even the choice of CD player can affect the sound.

The speakers also very much reflect the recording being played. Laid back recordings sound laid back, forward or bright recordings sound forward or bright.

I find my Maggies have plenty of bass and are quite lively on lively recordings but laid back on more mellow, laid back recordings. I listen to rock, jazz/fusion, some classical - most anything but "tear in my beer" country and find my Maggies to be chameleons - they sound like my recordings.

They do require more attention to setup than a lot of speakers, need to be at least 3 feet from the back and side walls, and experimentation with toe-in and distance between speakers, and a decision about tweeters on the inside or outside edges of the speakers.

In my home, I find my Maggies to be very amazingly three-dimensional and alive sounding, detailed, and plenty of bass and impact on recordings that call for it. some say that Maggies can't rock, but they work well for me on rock and all other kinds of music. The three-dimensionslity can be spookily real at times!

One thing: if you feed them crappy recordings, the Maggies will let you hear how crappy the recording is. Ozomatli's "Fire Away" CD sounds OK on FM radio on my cheapie car system and sounds OK in bars and as background music in stores, but the Maggies let me know just how distorted and massively compressed this CD really is. I cannot listen to it on my Maggies. This is one of the worst mastered CDs I have ever heard (are you listening, Bob Ludwig?!). Maggies are very reveaing and can be unforgiving of bad recordings or poor electronics.

I could never go back to traditional box speakers again.

Submitted by maggieguy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2008

Bottom Line:
(Price is Canadian) there has not been a review of these for almost a year, so I will add another. Well fresh off another critic claiming these as a product of the year for2008. (Steve Guttenberg-article at Cnet) A product that has been around unchanged for almost a decade, and still receiving product of the year? tell me another product that has happened with.

I do not need a critic to tell me how good these sound. I have owned them for a year now; so no new excitement here. They are the most satisfying speaker I have heard under ten grand, and they cost half that. And yes, I have heard speakers that cost twice that that I would not trade for them. And no, I have not
heard everything, and new speakers are always coming to market.

There are many tweaks one can do to improve upon these, such as aftermarker stands to stiffen them, and biamping going with an active crossover to even improve upon their accurate, tranparent sound, that is what I will do next.

And most negative reviews are due to setup problems, underamplication (maybe not in watts, but quality), or other issues such as room size;( they need plenty of space behind them) they are definitely an audiophile speaker, and lack of a serious setup will result in a much decreased enjoyment; they are not speakers to stick in living room and crank while you do housework!

After one year the thought of these doesnt even cross my mind. What better testimonial is there? Is there any reason to give less than 5 stars?

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by fanatic a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2008

Bottom Line:
These speakers would be great for those that prefer a soft, diffuse, laid back sound. The music sounds as if one were in the back of a symphony hall. The imaging is superior with a great dispersal of sound and absolutely no void in the center position. The bass is a different story. I found the entire spectrum of bass entirely lacking impact. Drums were weak or barely noticeable. A good analogy would be like listening to water fall off a roof into the gutter as opposed to listening to water gushing from the downspout. Both involve the same amount of water, but which is more stimulating to the ears? To me the bass was too weak to enjoy. While a subwoofer would help with the lower end of the bass, nothing would help with the upper bass range. Overlapping the subwoofer with frequencies of the main speaker would create a loud undesireable booming sensation.

Submitted by jamesprichard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2008

Bottom Line:
I am writing this review to let people know that mega solid state amps are not crucial to enjoying these excellent speakers. To be cliche', if you are reading this review, you know about these speakers, they sound wonderful.

In the beginning, I used 2 McIntosh 400 watt solid state power amps, mono blocked, one per channel. Sure, I had plenty of power to drive us out of the house, but something was missing from the sound. After a time, I started dabbling with vintage Fisher amplifiers and components. To make a long story short, I am now using two Fisher SA 300 tube amps, one per channel. These amps are conservatively rated @ app 35 watts per channel. I am using one per channel, which is giving me about 70 watts per channel, with lots of current due to the large transformers. The sound has vastly improved to a sweet sound that both my wife and I love. This is also greatly helped by using The Fisher 400CX-2 preamp, which made a huge difference over my McIntosh C 29. The volume now goes "loud enough".

Purchased At:   Stereo Unlimited

Submitted by odaddyo a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2007

Bottom Line:
I have used MANY different systems.... usually of world class components.

Recently I decided to just use an HT system. I chose the Halcro Pre/pro and amp combo.

I also tried many dynamic speakers... ranging in cost from 4k for the mains to 18k. Filling in the center/sub and surrounds from the same company.

Fed up with the holes in the sound stage using HT, I went with the Maggie setup, including the 3.6r as the Mains... CC3, MC1 for surrounds and JM Lab Sub Utopia BE for the .1 channel.

I am convinced this is not only a great system for music, but unbeatable for HT.

The opening scene in Passion of the Christ has to be heard to be believed. No other system envelops you as the Maggies do. The sound is magical.

My pre/pro is on the way back from getting upgraded to TrueHD and DTS-MA capable. I can't wait to hear my Blu-Ray movies on the Maggies in the lossless formats.

If you have space for these and want the best HT experience... this is a no brainer!!!