Magnepan Magneplanar MG 1.6
Description: <P> <LI>2-Way/Quasi Ribbon Planar-Magnetic <LI>Freq. Resp. 40-24kHz ±3dB <LI>Rec Power Read Frequently Asked Questions <LI>Sensitivity 86dB/500Hz /2.83v <LI>Impedance 4 Ohm <LI>Dimensions 19 x 65 x 2 <LI>Available in cherry, natural or black hardwood trim, off-white, black or grey fabric.

Submitted by Lars Stromberg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2011

Bottom Line:
The best I can say is that I haven't ever kept any speakers as long as these.

Since the best position was found, I have just been listening.
No adjustments or worries about equipment at all.

Every other speakers I've owned have made me thiinking more about the sound and the gear than focusing on music.

In fewer words:
I don't notice them.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by markeneret a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2011

Bottom Line:
Excellent bang-for-the buck. The Maggie 1.6 keeps on revealing more and more music with every improvement I make in my room acoustics / electronics etc. It's strengths are in 3D imaging, instrument seperation, detail in the mids/highs. I have yet to find an improvement in my audio system that the Maggies can't reveal. The caveat ? The bad recordings sound bad, the great recordings sound awesome ! For under $ 2000 they are amazing.

Strengths :
Resolution, quickness, imaging (wide and deep) , seperation of vocals and instruments, detail, ambience
The ability and realism to transport you into the music. Imaging detail that has me turning my head around, pressing "mute" 'cause I thought I heard someone at the door, phone ring, etc. Remarkable.

Weaknesses :
They EAT power. No problem since I have a Crown Macro Reference amp that puts out over 1100 watts / channel into 8 ohms. Probably slight overkill.

They don't have the low, deep bass of many box speakers. But they make up for it in quickness and impact.

The quality of workmanship, seen only when you take off the grills, is POOR. Sneaker imprints on the mylar, paper-towel "patches" (honestly!), many 'dings' in the magnetic panels where someone must have hammered them into shape, weak non-rigid stands, $ 15 crossover parts, tweeter foil that weaves all over the place, downright tTEARS in the mylar. BUT STILL THEY SOUND INCREDIBLE ! Go figure. I love them.

Submitted by Jas Carpender a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2009

Bottom Line:
I've always enjoyed good music. Built my share of Knight, Heathkit and Dynaco rigs back in college. Had EPI's and JBL l-88's for speakers. Now that I'm in my fifties and retired, I have spent many thousands in the past four years trying to build my ultimate system. With no direction except the desire to get a tube system, here goes a sad list of equipment I've purchased on ebay. Started with 4 Allied Knight monoblock tube poweramps, 2 Dyna Pam's and (count em) 4 sets of JBL L-100's (mint or near mint) 800 -1k per pair. I then moved up to Audio Research. (AR factory is less than 25 miles away). 2 - 300 w monoblocks, AR CD-2 c.d. player, AR SP9-II preamp. I purchased some of this equipment from AR's head engineer's personal collection. Even got 2 pair
of AR custom litzline speaker cables. (7 & 10 meter lengths). bought for $100.00 a pair (new old stock). AR uses two pair of wilson speakers in their two listening rooms.

Their head listener referred to up there as "Golden Ears" told me that Magnepan 1.6 qr are one of his favorite
speakers in any price range. (Magneplaner factory is less than 15 miles away from my home). I can't find enough time in the day to enjoy these speakers and gear. Have about 30 items to post on ebay this fall, starting with JBL speakers!

Submitted by RO106666 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2008

Bottom Line:
The first time I listened to the Magnepan line I was talked into the 3.6's as the dealer offered me a great deal on them and at that time I thought the more you spent the better. I liked the sound of the 1.6 over the 3.6's the very first time I heard them. Dumb me got talked into the 3.6's and ended up selling them 4 months later.This was the beginning of a VERY EXSPENSIVE LESSON! In the end I ended up spending up to $20,000 for speakers (Revel Salons alot of money)and over $70,000 in my system. I spent so much money on my system all I did was worry about was that EVERYTHING had to be PERFECT! Ended up worried about the system than enjoying the music. Lost my job and sold it all. Then I decided when I got a new system I would build it the way I liked it and tried to build it in ind of "Best Bang for the Buck" system I could come up with. So I bought the 1.6's some what wondering how they would handle ALL types of music. WOW, was I surprised! They are the tallest speakers I have owned and reminded me of the HUGE Soundstage that the Wilson Grandslams presented ( not as nice as the Slams, but not $80,000 either). Jazz and the Blues just knocked my socks off and they sound very good on all music. Seperation and Soundstage is great and the upper bass is excellent. I will probably add a sub to finish them off Im not sure which way to go as i have always had full range speakers and have never used a sub.They seem to love power but theres nothing wrong with that. Folks talk alot about placement of these and I am lucky enough to have a large room so that has not been a problem. i have heard them 12 in. from the wall and did not find the unbearable. i could set here and throw all the fancy terms around but thats a waste so I would recommend that you listen to them. I would put them in the top 10 in speakers under $2,000.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by popetucson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2007

Bottom Line:
I'LL MAKE THIS SHORT AND SIMPLE, IF YOU HAVE ENUOGH POWER ( 200 WATTS RMS AT 8 OMHS) ANY KIND OF EAR FOR MUSIC, AND $1800.00 YOU CAN HARDLY GO WRONG WITH THIS SPEAKER. I ALSO HAVE THE MMG'S AND THE DIFFERENCE IS STRIKING!! IF SOMEONE SAYS THIS IS THE WORST SPEAKER THEY HAVE EVER HEARD, THEY PROBABLY LISTEN TO A BOOM BOX!!!!!!!!

Purchased At:   WILSON AUDIO