Legacy Audio Classic

Submitted by bazman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2014

Bottom Line:
I purchased the classics in 1995. they still are a high quality bang for the buck speaker. at the present time the problem I am having is the ultra low bass. in their present location I can
only position them about 12 to 15in from the back wall. with the rear 10in woofer there is a
little too much too much reflection. I called legacy and they where very helpful. I have put
foam in the ports.and bi-wired them. they may need to be 24in from the back wall.
they still have the great sound they had when they were new. I have a couple more options
to try any suggestions. I currently using a Yamaha 2010 with an emotive 200w amp to push
the classics. as you can tell the new classics have the woofers on the front. as for the used
classics it will depend on the year. a hifi store in my area put mine at about $900.00.

Submitted by Ken a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2013

Bottom Line:
I have an opportunity to pick up a pair of Legacy Classic for 1500.00 they look in great condition, am going to inquiry to hear them perform before purchase, luckily they are local and can travel to them to hear. Is there anything I should look for, ask or be aware of?

Ken

Submitted by spyonu2014 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2013

Bottom Line:
August 6, 2007 Feels like a long time ago. I suppose it was. It has been 6 years since I wrote my first review of the First generation, Legacy 1, Reel to Reel speakers made in Springfield Illinois.

How do they perform? Perfect. They do exactly what I want them to do. For the past 6 years I used a Sunfire preamp and bi-amped the speakers with an old Yamaha M65 for the bottom end and a St202+ on the top.

Countless friends and family have listened to them. Solicitations to purchase a dozen times by a dozen different people. Zero Chance.

These speakers have held up to everything I have thrown at them. They will play more than loud enough for neighbors across the street, to take notice and stop in for a spell.

The cabinets are rock solid.
In a word. Marvelous.

I was asked a few times in the last 6 years, what would you want to upgrade too, from these? Simply? I don't. I have not heard a single model from the legacy line other than these. Im sure the Focus sound great. Im sure with the right Electronics, the Whisper sounds extraordinary. Maybe its senility setting it. Maybe I have an attachment disorder.

I have sold off almost every other set of speakers I own, but these... These I will hold onto until my last breath. They are that good. They are pillars of joy, statues of greatness, they are the epitome of what artist strive for, true accurate reproduction of their craft.

Funny story. Owner of a local audiophile store and I were talking. He is a long time friend and I was inshop listening to some Alon 5's. Auditioned with a VTL tube setup they were pleasant to the ear.

I offered to compare the L1's in my home, and it was near closing time so he followed. Hell Freezes over tour of the Eagles, Hotel California.
Him and his Wife sat in amazement, through the acoustic section. It was being played at a volume congruent to failure for lesser speakers.

Through the acoustic begining, I watched their grins widen.. Then a coy look from the shop owner. Knowing full well there was a looming bass beat to commence.. That will be where the L1's show their weakness, or perhaps the weakness in my upstream components.

To his amazement, the low notes hit solid and true pounding all of us in the chest. The bass could be felt through the floor, through our bones. The L1's didnt flinch, didnt hesitate. Even at this more than considerable volume they handled the musical demands effortlessly, no strain what so ever.

After the song had played its course he stated.
"Wow, I really figured they would at least frog out.. Those are quite impressive".

I tend to agree.
If you ever see a pair of these for sale, scoop them up. You will hard pressed to find sound this good for 3x's the price.

Cheers! Happy listening. If we are all here in another 6 years Ill write a 12 year review.

Submitted by Smiley a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2009

Bottom Line:
I've had the 4 switch 90's model for many years now. It's absolutely wonderful!

I read some people had problems with rear tweeter being harsh.. I did too until i switched to much better componenets and cables which showed me that the fault was not with the speakers. The rear tweeter is on and it sings beautifully.

I've thrown all genres of music at it and it did much better on them than a $3k speaker is supposed to. Giant killer!

I recently auditioned a pair of Gallo Reference 3.1s which are also supposed to be a great value, but it wasn't even close to the quality of the sound of the classics - and All of his components were 4x the price of mine. I also don't like the sound of the new legacies nearly as much.

This is the reason why this model is so hard to find. If you see one snag it asap - but don't come knocking on my door for mine - you won't like my answer :)

Submitted by spyonu2007 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2007

Bottom Line:
First impression.. Wow. Is it premature to write this? I dont think so. I bought these, and though the "classic" is newer, this is a prestine pair of the original Legacy 1's. No rear firing drivers. Not a blemish on the Blonde Oaken cabinets. I spent a couple hours going through them, I replaced the rotted surround on the 10inch forward firing drivers, on both sides... Once the glue dried, I started in on some semi-soft listening. I tossed the worst possible combo at these speakers, the abosolute worst wire I could find, some very cheap unclaimied freight 18ga copper wire, a decent surround sound processor (not a dedicated stereo piece) then again its a sunfire theater grand.. Hooked up a very old Yamaha M65 power amp set to 4ohms, and ran a denon 5 disk cd changer.. First off, Kravitz's 5 album... wow. Great dynamic bass and the chorus of highs were tangible. I have them 2 feet from the sidewalls, 6 feet or so in between each, backed up to the rear wall... The imagery was emazing, even my tone deaf wife could hear the difference between these and the other dozen pairs of speakers I have on hand.... So a big mess of electronics, wth the worst wire one can buy... The sounds was emazing. Low lows, tight and controlled. The midrange was glorious. The highs came on, and went up into the stratosphere, without being harsh. I tried them with the well constructed grills in place and off to the side. Finally I have found a pair of speakers that do it all. I can easily justify selling my daqhquist dq7c's, my polk ls70's, my klipsch klf's, the specturm audios.... This pair of Legacy 1's do it all, in my opinon. Tomorrow Im going to biwire them with some good wire wire world speaker cables, bring out my Sansui 2101, perhaps my Denon pma 1315r, and the b&k seperates. Im going to thow all my electronics at it and, the run them to their potential. Ill comment later, but I can tell you this, running maybe 50 watts tonight was mind blowing.. Listen to the Dances with Wolves soundtrack, track one with the lights off... Prickled the hairs on my arms to full errect. They are beautiful, deep and image like no other.

Purchased At:   Private estate sale.