Krix Lyrix
Description: (See reviews)

Submitted by Charlie a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2014

Bottom Line:
I picked these speakers up used without an audition. Purely based on the quality of construction, design, and the reviews.

I have a stereo setup driving them with a Rotel RA-12 amp and listen to mainly blues based music. I was astounded when A/B testing them against my 6 month old Mordaunt Short floorstanders. The 20 y/o Krix Lyrix flogged the MS speakers in more ways than one. Midrange was clearer, highs were smoother but clearer, and bass response was weighty and deep compared with the larger MS speakers with bigger drive units!

Overall the sound is so much better with a particular notice in improvement with vocals in recordings. Just a better listening experience.

Maybe the krix are just a better match with the Rotel RA-12 amp I am using. I now run the amp with tone bypass selected. Previously I had to add bass and back off treble to achieve a more balanced sound.

I commend the designers of this speaker for a great design. When seated the mid mounted tweeter is at ear level! that is great. Jarrah veneer is beautiful too! So $450 for 20 y/o speakers that are in perfect working order, I am well pleased with the purchase. I will consider Krix Phoenix MKII next time around.

Submitted by andrew671 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2009

Bottom Line:
Let me begin saying that I am new to this whole Hifi audio scene.. I just finish school and I am still pretty young (24) however, I like a Varity of music from classical all the way to R&B.. I mostly enjoy watching movies and live concert DVDs..
I have had these speakers for about a year now and let me tell you these speakers for what I paid for them were a steal! ($575 pair, condition 9/10 one small scratch)... these sound so incredible... The clarity and bass on it is so vivid... I normally have to turn the my woofer off only because the bass is so strong and deep... no matter what song or movie I play these speakers can handle it and make it sound amazing.. i am into blu-ray movies right now and watching the opening scene from the movie “Independence Day” using these speakers rocked my house.. but like everyone finding the right spot is the key to fully enjoy these speakers.. once you find that sweet spot nail that speaker to the ground, because you would never want to move it again or replace it with anything else...Oh and it looks great also!..

very basic set up:
left and right speakers: kef Q50 tower speakers
rear: kef 3005 x2 satellite speakers

Submitted by DGillies a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
Let me begin by saying that, whilst I have classified myself here as an audiophile, I would like to qualify that with an "entry level" tag. My current system consists of the following:
Marantz CD17 KI Signature series
Rotel RB985BX Integrated Amp (100W/ch)
Denon TU260l Tuner
Cable Talk Talk3.1 speaker cable
Neotech interconnects

Whilst my budget has increased since buying the Lyrix, I would still love to have many thousands more than I do for my hobby. Having said that, it is only after eight years of listening enjoyment that I am seeking an upgrade for these sensational speakers. I auditioned a number of speakers before deciding on the Krix, both stand-mounters and floorstanders, up to a maximum of AU$2700.00 at the time. I have since listened to a number of other upgrade possibilities up to the $5K mark that have left me wondering whether I need an upgrade at all.

The first thing that you will notice about the Krix is there full sound. They are not bright or tizzy when partnered correctly. The bass is substantial and has been described by one professional reviewer as prodigious. This is a sound not loved by all but liked by many, and fans of rock or dance will appreciate the engaging sound of the Lyrix, particularly those who are venturing into hifi from shelf systems. The bass is not loose or wooly, but is detailed, taut and well controlled right down into the lower frequencies.

Their mid range can be overshadowed by this bass if not positioned correctly, however after some playing around with distances from walls and toe-in this problem disappears and the scale of their musicality becomes evident. I have had these speakers in four different houses and have always been able to find a good setup after some manipulation of their position, even if they sounded best in a larger room. The amount of midrange and treble available will not be sufficient for some classical buffs, but will have most listeners of pop and rock turning up the volume and listening for long hours. Treble delivery is clean and clear and guitars come through brilliantly in the mid range. I have only experienced listener fatigue when playing really bright recordings for a long time at the type of volumes that will get your neighbours bashing on your door.

As female vocals can be difficult to faithfully reproduce, take along some of your favourites (always important when selecting hifi equipment) when listening to the Lyrix and discover some tones and timbres in music and vocals you may not have heard before. Delivery is spine-tinglingly realistic and with good recordings you can hear the breathing of the singer between lines.

As I have noted below, the Lyrix like to be driven. This does not mean that a modest amplifier of around 30 to 40 watts will be insufficient, just that you will be able to upgrade amps before upgrading speakers. They are in fact quite efficient, rated at 92dB/1W/1m sensitivity, but the 4ohm load will leave inferior amps running out of breath at higher volumes. My previous amp was a Rotel RA960 (60W/ch) which I had hooked up again recently and it still did a superb job. These speakers have great amounts of detail even at low listening volumes. All the same, I was still glad to get my 100 watter back for that increase in soundstaging dimension and the lushness of the lower end of the spectrum that more power can offer these speakers.

In conclusion, I would reccommend anyone who is in the market for some good all-rounders to grab some CD's and go for a listen. Even if the modest price (by audiophile standards) is a little more than you want to spend, save up a bit longer. As mentioned, they will sustain a sizeable amp upgrade from entry level, and when you divide the cost over the time they will serve you they are excellent value for money. Australian residents will have to spend double (or maybe more) to find a European or American speaker capable of this level of musicality.

Purchased At:   Armstrong Hifi (no l

Submitted by Timshel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have been using these speakers for the past 5 years and they were a year old when I bought them, never a single problem. They have been the main drivers for 2 home theatre systems in that time and have been nothing short of brilliant.

I have baught and upgraded a lot of hifi components for myself over this time and have never once considered changing these speakers. They sounded so solid and detailed in the shop and have flourished in any of the 3 or 4 different rooms/houses I have had them in.

They continue to amaze me with their detailed sound staging, warmth accross all ranges of music.

Purchased At:   Hi Fi Trader, Newtow

Submitted by xpeccen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
I got these speakers a few days ago and am very happy with them. Great sound matched with great looking jarrah. Go very low, loud and sound great from classic to hiphop.