Koss CM 1030 Speakers
Description: Using the Koss Theory of loudspeakedre signa nd its computerized program, <br>Koss engineers set out to design the optimum 4 bandpas(s4 way) <br>loudspeaker system. The CM/l030's design started with setting the <br>parameters for frequency response for efficiency and cabinet size. From <br>these initial specifications the Koss Theory developed specific design <br>characteristics that include a 10-inch woofer, a mass aligned dual port <br>system, a parallel midrange system, and both a tweeter and a treble tweeter <br>that feature a unique acoustic transformer. To sew the whole system <br>together into a seamless, incredibly beautiful, full bandwidth sound, the Koss <br>CM/1030 features a special quasi second order crossover network second <br>to non.

Submitted by Dave M a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2014

Bottom Line:
Okay, if we can let's go back a few years I bought a set of CM 1020's back in 78 after demoing them with the 1010's and 1030's. The 1020's were absolutely incredible, bass, miss.. highs'.. they had everything going. Don't get me wrong the 1030's were very nice but to my 24 year old ears, seemed a bit flat in the base… I'm a drummer and former DJ using Koss headphone for years and often wondered if a set of spellers were ever produced that would sound like the realism through the Koss 1000's, I'd get them. The 1020 were very close. the rest is history. If you have a set keep em. I'm using mine with a tube amp, and Yamaha CD player source. Still excellent after all these years.

Submitted by Aargonaut a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2013

Bottom Line:
I've had the CM/1010s, CM/1020s and the CM/1030s. I bought the CM 1010s about 30 years ago and then traded up to the 1020s. I could not get the 1030s because I could not afford the extra $200 for the 1030s. I found a pair of the 1030s about 15 years for aound $150. Since they were originally around $1,000, I felt this was a very good deal. I used them until about 5 years ago when I bought Infinity Kappa 9s. (As you can see, I like large, full range speakers.) I then gave them to my step-son, who has used them ever since.

The description above does not tell you how well these are built. The corners are made of solid pecan wood. They have handles built into the sides and weigh about 75 lbs. The dual midranges have separate enclosures. The cabinets are braced internally to reduce resonance problems. The particle board used to build them i thicker than with most speakers. All in all, they were constructed very solidly.

I remember the literature stating that the audio frequency response was dead flat from below 30 cps to nearly 20K - which pretty much covers the entire audible range. They also have a total harmonic distortion of 1%, which is virtually inaudible.

I remember demoing them against the 1020s. A person who was listening to them played a piece with horns. With the 1030s, the saxiphone had the proper "blat," where as it was missing in the 1020s. They really do sound very good.

These are not in the same class as the Infinities, but they also cost a lot less and give you excellent sound quality, particularly at the price they can be purchased for, if you can find them.

Submitted by Des a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2012

Bottom Line:
I have a pair for sale (best Offer Takes

Submitted by Al Imrie a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2012

Bottom Line:
I got these speakers when someone gave them to my church, all covered in cheap white contact paper. After inspection of the nearly 30 year old speakers, I found that all drivers and switches were functional, but pure copper leads in the complex 4th order crossover were corroded and broken. I rebuilt the crossovers entirely with new Erse resistors and Pulse capacitors, The chokes were clean and fully functional When I tested them for the first time, I laughed out loud. I knew the design seemed impressively different, but was not expecting what I heard. Detail, soundstage, depth, and did I mention detail? Unbelievable. I have been spoiled now and will not likely be happy with any others. I own pairs of KLH 32, Acoustic Research AR2, Paradigm 3ce, Genesis 3+, 1972 Advent Large. The CM 1030's are my most enjoyed pair, and have been my mains for 5 years now. I think America could solve some of it's economic woes if we would look back and do what was successfully done by Koss way back when. Produce a quality product that is the best available, with the best build quality and don't apologize for the price. Peace

Submitted by Tom Büchler a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2012

Bottom Line:
Hello,

i ve bought the cm1030 five years ago.
these speakers make me nearly cry- i never heared such an excelent sound before !!!
sometimes i am afraid, cause there a some parts in songs that you dont hear with other
speakers.
and songs sounds sooo real :-)

if anyone sell a pair of them- please contact me

Bye