Klipsch SF-2
Description: Two-way system using one 1" (2.54cm) K-101-S neodymium magnet, aluminum dome compression driver with a 90°x60° Tractrix Horn and two 6.5" (16.51cm) K-1078-SB magnetically shielded woofers featuring polymer housings and IMG cones.

Submitted by B A Mccullough a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2014

Bottom Line:
After I retired in 2003, I treated myself to a new audio system. I bought an Onkyo 6.1 receiver and Klipsh sf-2 and subwoofer. I've played this system for eleven (11) years now without problems. The SF-2 speakers and sub continue to give excellent service with much complimented tone quality from friends that have heard the Jazz I play quite often during parties. For the money, the SF-2 speakers are hard to beat and are awesome when producing movie sound tracks. I would suggest the SF-2 speakers to my friends contemplating buying a new system. I understand these speakers are no longer in production. I remember the old Klipsh Horn speakers from years ago which is why I bought the SF-2's, quality sound.

Submitted by Nola a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have never seen this combination of small footprint, affordability, and sound quality in the same cabinet.

Now let's get this right out of the way - if you are using these for 2 channel music, you do NOT need a subwoofer. These speakers are strong down to the lowest 40's before falling off at the rated 35hz. Playing tunes that I was extremely familiar with, the bass was not only all there, but accurate as well. The only reason one would need to add a sub is for the LFE channel in movies. Please let me stress this again - I have never heard such powerful and flat/even bass response from this size driver(s), in this inexpensive a speaker. I'm sure it exists elsewhere, just not in my realm of experience.

Other reviewers have remarked that you should listen to the trademark Klipsch horns before making a purchase. This is absolutely right! While Klipsch fans love the horns (to me, they're assertive like a Grado headphone), many people find the aggressive presentation to not be their cup of tea. Klipsch is definitely one of those companies with a "signature sound," and you owe it yourself to listen to similar models even if this exact model can no longer be demoed. That said, the highs on these speakers are ridiculously crisp, with no real fatigue to speak of. However, this particular horn is more directional than other Klipsch speakers in my memory. Meh, no big deal. The highs have plenty of 'air,' though I found myself giving a modest boost at 16hz to give it a tad more sparkle. I found the rest of the range to require no compensation or reduction with the EQ.

Another thing to mention is the incredible efficiency (I think it's 96). You can run these to window shattering levels off of a 20W desktop T-amp if you were so inclined. The SF-2 absolutely sparks to life from that first watt. Good stuff.

The construction is solid, if the design is uninspired. Still, at this footprint it really doesn't matter what they look like, as they'll basically disappear into any room once the floating grills are on. And yeah, those grill pegs will break. So either leave the grills on, or leave them off. With covers on, these speakers have a tremendous WAF, at least as far as floorstanders go. After all, they take up no more space than a bookshelf model mounted properly on a decent stand. This was a pretty big selling point for me - bookshelves on stands take up the same amount of space, but would ALSO require a subwoofer. Dismissing sound quality concerns for a minute (I dislike subwoofers with music), it would just plain take up more space and, in the end, cost more than a simple pair of SF-2s.

I don't believe that you'll find another bang-for-buck speaker like this one, particularly since they're starting to show up used for less than $300. There are no flaws that I feel like harping on considering the insane level of audio value you're getting here.

Submitted by ThatGuy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2007

Bottom Line:
For years, I listened to my music through my 15 yr old Infinity SM 80s. To me they always sounded wonderful (light on the bass, but great with a sub). They look dated and as i am upgrading the rest of my home theatre, I thought it was time for a new pair of main speakers. Although I use my mains as front channels in my home theatre system, my prmary concern was how they sounded playing music. So, I hooked them up right next to my Infinitys to do the old side by side. The first thing I noticed is that they are not as efficient. At the same output level these were noticably quieter. No big deal... I just turned up the volume. However, it was very clear that while the bass in the F-2s sounded much better than my Infinitys, the mids & highs were very dull. Listening to songs with hard tight snare beats, the difference was stark. Snare beats that sounded loud & crisp on the SM80s sounded much softer on these speakers.

I tried more & more songs and just couldn't accept the way they sounded. I played with the settings trying to fin a sweet spot, but had no luck. I gave up & decided that the F-2s just can't reproduce hard drum beats very well. I returned them the next day.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by huascar a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2006

Bottom Line:
Originally when I purchased these I was happy with their sound but the more I listed to them, the more I noticed that they sound very cheap and without any mids. I ditched them and purchased a pair of Paradigm monitor speakers which I much more happy with.

Purchased At:   audiogon

Submitted by boraneon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2005

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair of Klipsch sf-2 floor stand speakers about a week ago. I have listened many hours and thought it's time to share my experience with others. I own a Onkyo 6.1 channel home theater system and I was pretty satisfied with it. However I felt I needed more for good music listening. It was just not enough. I think it's still good for most of people who want pretty good home theater system under 500.
Anyway, I decided to get a pair of good main speakers. Like many of others, my budget is limited. I want spend less than 500 and hoped to get best for money. I finally ended up with either Athena AS-F2. There just so many good reviews for them.I went to local bestbuy and listen to them and it was pretty good and it was affordable. I just tried others to compare and I found Klipsch speakers. They were more expensive but sound really good. I liked Klipsch very much but it was out of my limit. I listened to both Athena and Klipsch for hours. Athena is taller and got bigger woofers(which is plus for me)but sounds qulity wasn't good as Klipsch for me.
Klipsch is more expensive and sounds more expensive. Athena got strong mid range little more bass. Klipsch got more detailed, smooth and rich sound. I was in dilemma.

Fortunately, one of bestbuy guys came and told me there is old model Klipsch which is on clearance sale. I bought them without hesitation and I hoped it would sound as good as its new model.
I brought them home and put SF-2 front and put onkyo mains to back. Wow! It sounds really great and big. I felt my SF-2 sounds almost identical its new model F-2.
F-2 looks cool and port is located front. I think Klipsch used basically same material for new model and changed just its appearance. I was so happy that I could get almost same speaker as new F-2 for about a half price. SF-2 sounds so clean and elegant. Their horn tweeter produces unbeatable crisp high spreds widely because of its special horn design. Sound of most tweeter goes one direction so listening area is very limited but SF-2 horn tweeter makes it different. It gives wider sound field and very good stereo image. I can't be happier. There are two 6 1/2"IMG cone woofers under horn tweeter and it produce unbelievable bass for its size. According to its spec, it covers up to 35Hz deep. Bass is tight and rich for the size. Two woofer sounds little different. Upper woofer sounds brighter and the other one is more bass concentrated. This is the reason I got dual woofer speaker. Dual cone speakers make more balanced and rich sound than sigle woofer speaker, I think.
SF-2 also matches look with my onkyo home theater since it's black and sleek design.

Overall, SF-2 sounds clean, rich and powerful. Athena as-f1 and f2 are good speakers too. They are good value for money but compare to my SF-2, it was just not enough. SF-2 produces more detail and expensive sound. Decison was hard to make but I don't regret with my choice SF-2 over Athena AS-F2.