Klipsch RF-5
Description: Reference Floorstanding Loudspeaker

Submitted by MagnusVer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2011

Bottom Line:
I bought these brand new ($1200 pr. in Cherry finish) along with a pair of RS-7 surrounds, an RC-7 center and an RSW-15 subwoofer for home theater duties. After having lived with them for about four years and getting more interested in audio I started looking around for others to audition.

I took the RF-5's out of rotation for a while and replaced them with some B&W 603 S3's, and also added a set of Wharfedale Opus 2-2's to the mix. After moving the RF-5's back in a few weeks ago it made me realize how much these speakers just do so much so well. After running them with a McIntosh MC 7200, Parasound A21 and bi-wired through a little Yamaha A-S700 integrated, they have proven to be the most versatile and easy to drive speakers I have ever owned.

If the opportunity to own a set of these comes your way I highly recommend taking them home. For the price these are selling for used today they are one of the ultimate bargains in stereo.

Submitted by jon zych a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2010

Bottom Line:
these speakers wether being played at low volumes or cranked up deliver accurate and detailed sound, i had been to a lot of rock concerts in the late 70s and i get goose bumps anytime i get the chance to crank these speakers up, they sound so awesome ,i can't believe it. if you have the room for a large set of speakers and wan't to rock, these will more than satisfie you,

Submitted by ckazanci a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2007

Bottom Line:
These are excellent speakers for the money. And unless you compare them to better equipment (and much more expensive) side by side; you won't notice a thing, and they will sound great to your ears.

Submitted by johnplayer a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2006

Bottom Line:
I Purchased TWO pairs of these speakers, as I always enjoy the sound of two pair vs one. These babies are very impressive, tight, and clean. I push them with my yamaha mx 1000 U amps, (250wpc). I have two pair of yamaha yst right below them with the Klipsh stacked on top. Had to adjust my level controls down so the klipsch wouldnt overpower the yamaha so much. (yes im a speaker nut, drive three amps and many speakers). Very high quality built speaker. Very impressed with the sound. As others have said a subwoofer is almost a must these days. Not sorry at all i bought them. I will probably love these babies for 20 years or more. Wish i had the room for two pairs of the RF 7, if you have the room and the cash spend the doe.

Submitted by david Ehrmantraut a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2006

Bottom Line:
I purchased 2 pairs of these speakers. I must say the efficiency is quite remarkable. I had to decrease my threshold in my mains channels to -10db which basically matched these speakers with the rest i have which are in the 88 to 90 db efficiency range. I was also impressed with the Bi wire and BI amp ability, although I just use the basic wiring this is a great option especially when driving speakers stand alone. The high end is really good. Buyers purchasing these can use less demanding amplifiers, although i still preferr to use amplifiers with twice the rated power of the speakers to ensure ease of operation and low distortion.

I was not impressed with what Klipsh calls an 8 inch base driver, as no matter how much i look and measure them they look to be 7 inch to me. Klipsch unfortuntatly must have a lower specification rating for advertising size of drivers!!!!. Despite this I was still quite impressed with what these will so. Strongly recommend a pair of good subs. I drive both right and left subs. These speakers with good complementary subwoofers are sure to please any audiophile. Glad i bought two pairs of these rather than buying the RF7 as the 10 inch drivers in the rf seven are probably more like only 8.75 to 9 inches. Gotta love the gold color of the drivers, and the efficiency of Klipsch horns.

Nice to have a speaker at 62.5 pounds, Although still heavy easily handled by one person for changing positioning needs.