Klipsch Promedia v.2-400
Description: 1st THX certified computer multimedia speakers

Submitted by Beartrap a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
My review on the Klipsch V2-400's comes to you mainly because "YOU NEED TO KNOW" how great this package is. Unlike most reviews, I won't go into many details about thier tech/specs, you can read for yourself @Klipsch.com. I have a Sony P/C Digital Studio (pcv-rx370ds), and after hooking these speakers up and turning up the volume to 3/4's, actually broke a window in my office. There is NOTHING on the market today that is even close to achieving that kind of performance. For all you people that have gripes about the
V2-400's, remember, a speaker will only do what it is "told" to do. So I suggest you spend your money more wisely on what is "driving" these. 85% of the individuals that have heard my set-up, have spent the next few days wondering where they can purchase them. Reviews of muddy bass, hissing, no mid-range ..., come on people clean your ears! Or maybe you can come over and the V2-400's will do it for you.

Purchased At:   Electronic Supermark

Submitted by alex213 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
I decided I needed some good sounding music one day so I read a ton of reviews and decided on the promedia 2.1's. Like many others, I was blown away. I was suddenly in front of a "real" stereo. I've been enjoying these for over a year. Just a few days ago I upgraded the speaker wire with some 16gauge(ewg) wire and radioshack gold 1/8" plugs---damn if it didn't sound better! After doing the new wire install, I casually turned them on without really listening for a difference, and Wham! They seemed to reach out and grab my brain, announcing YES YES this is what I needed! The new wires seem to improve the midrange and "open up" the sound. It kind of seems like the amp has to work less and gives a "rounder" sound. I read lots of info on speaker wire. I know there is a large contingent of engineering types who will insist that lamp cord of a minimum gauge will work as well as any good speaker wire. For I while I leaned toward their side, but NO MORE. These engineering types have fallen into the "expert trap". They believe that measurements on their machines tell the whole story. If they used their built-in machines (ears) they would quickly realize how WRONG they are! Too bad many of them just love to adopt a condescending attitude, spew out some figures, and then chuckle at how much money we're "wasting" on good wire...ok I feel better know. Anyway, buy these speakers, upgrade the wires (be careful to not short the wires when assembling the plugs), and then marvel at the sound! I've read some people connect some HUGE wire directly into the sattelites by bypassing the plugs (kind of radical for me), but I wonder how that sounds!

Purchased At:   Good Guys

Submitted by hzjunkie a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
Best bang for the $ the 2.1 pro-media's are the sound bomb. Handles everything and has the volume to scare the neighbors without much distortion, Kilpsh built these right and they could of sold them for 279.00 and I would of bought them. Radiohead's The Tourist from OK Computer sounds fantastic... great details awesome buy

Purchased At:   www.vanns.com

Submitted by Bnblues13 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
Longtime Klipsch fan here and when I got a new PC recently I was pleasantly
surprised that Best Buy carried the Klipsch pro-media 2.1 and had them
on display at the store. I tried them out and what a great sound although
not the cheapest, they were by far the most dynamic and crisp sounding
with the trademark Klipsch kick. By all means if you can afford them give
the 2.1's a listen especially if you listen to music a lot and definitely if you
are an audio enthusiast.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Adriel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
If you buy the Promedia 2.1 set, buy it for the amplifier, subwoofer, and preamp. Throw the satellites away, and hook up some Optimus Pro-7 satelites instead. The stock Promedia 2.1 satellites have no soundstage, lack midrange, and are somewhat grainy. On the other hand, the Optimus Pro-7 satellites actually have a 3d soundstage and have decent midrange, when powered through the Promedia 2.1 amplifier. The Pro-7s are known as the Pro-X44AV these days, and Radio Shack often has them on sale for $40 a pair. Normally, I wouldn't recommend the Optimus brand. It just so happens that the Optimus Pro-X44AV/Pro-7 is based on the Radio Shack Minimus-7, which was a copycat of the Visonik Davids. Yep, these Optimus satellites hold their own.

The importance of using a quality soundcard cannot be stressed enough. People who complain about the Promedia piercing high-end frequency are likely using cheap SB Live! cards. The Live cards will do that. Don't use anything by Creative for music listening. I recommend the quality, yet budget priced M-Audio Audiophile 24/96.