Klipsch KSP 400
Description: Klipsch Premier Powered Speaker

Submitted by Joe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2013

Bottom Line:
Well, here I am again to follow up on the Klipsch KSP 400 and KSP S6 and KSP C6 + Klipsch RSX4, RVX42 & SS.5 (presence/ambiance channels) & KSW 200 (rear channel sub) set up I have.

The sound is nothing short of breath-taking, LITERALLY.

Currently, my Livingroom gear set up consists of H&K Signature Series Amplifiers (1,5 and 2.1's), Marantz MM9000 amp, B&K Reference 50 S2 processor, Sony S5000ES BlueRay Player, Sony NS9100ES SACD/DVD Player, Harman Kardon DMC 1000 Digital Media Center, ADC SS 525X EQ (presence/ambiance channels), Yamaha DSP 3000 processor (for presence/ambiance channels), Tice Audio Power Block III Signature Series Power Condiitoner, Tice Solo Power Conditioner, NuReality Vivid 3D (presence/ambiance channels), 3 x Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffers, and a Sony Bravia EX700 60" LCD/LED HDTV.

All connections and main speaker cables are Monster Interlink MK300II & Interlink MK400 and Monster Z2 & Z3 speaker cables. The surrounds and sides are 10 & 12 AWG OFC speaker wires running through the ceiling and dropped, because I couldn't find Z series speakers cables long enough to meet the need (probably would have been cost prohibitive as well).

I have the HK Signature 1.5 amp powering the mid-bass drivers on the 2 x Klipsch KSP 400, the Marantz MM9000 powering the 4 x klipsch KSP S6 rear & side surround speakers, and HK Signature 2.1 amps powering the 2 x KSP C6 center speakers, 2 x tweeters of the KSP 400's and 9 x presence/ambiance speakers (4 x Klipsch RSX 4's, 1 x Klipsch RCX4, 4 x Klipsch SS.5's ) routed through the Yamaha DSP 3000 for additional realism. The Vivid 3D is connected before the DSP 3000 and adds more spatial expansiveness for the ambiance channels and I also use it to "sweeten" the ambiance channels a tad bit more (plus the active display is kool, but not distracting).

The 4 x Klipsch SS.5's are mounted above the 4 x Klipsch KSP S6's for side and rear ambiance channels. The 4 x Klipsch RSX4's are mounted above of which 2 x are mounted approx. 4 feet to either side of the Klipsch KSP 400's, and the 1 x Klipsch RVX42 (center presence/ambiance) is mounted above the 60" inch HDTV in between the two Klipsch KSP C6's.

Let me just say I have not yet heard another home system that surpasses the sound I am able to get from my current 17.3 speaker set up (and using 19 channels of amplification of the available 22 channels of amplification I have from 5 amplifiers since the KSP 400's are biamplified - the 3 x subwoofers are self powered). I have considered adding additional 2 side channels using Klipsch SS3's but I think that may be a tad too much.

Not trying to impress, but rather impress upon you the extent to which you can improve your aural listening pleasure, if you are willing to go that far (and I am).

The KSP series speakers have held up rather well, and the warmth of the mids coupled with the gentle (not searing), but detailed highs from the silk dome, horn loaded tweeters of the Klipsch KSP series and the thumping bass of the built-in 2 x 400W subs of the KSP 400 are so delicious, that once I sit and begin to listen, I have to sit for at least several hours and just soak up the bliss.

Friends and guests who have come over typically leave with a burning desire to put the money together for an immersive experience like that I was able to provide with my system. Really, when listening to music or watching a movie, you EXPERIENCE it... not just listen and watch. There is a DISTINCT difference, I tell you and once you experience it, nothing less will do.

I really like the KSP series from Klipsch, unlike other Klipsch series I have listened to, which can be a bit fatiguing due to the brightness of the highs. The fact that I have 3 x Musical Fidelity X10 V3 tube buffers through which the KSP 400's and the KSP C6's are filtered through may add some more warmth, but even without the buffers they sound phenomenal. Klipsch should have just improved upon these units instead of discontinuing them.

I personally like the KSP series better than any other Klipsch series I have auditioned, because of the liquid mids and detailed highs that do not over reach and the bass is friggin' AWESOME! If you can get the complete KSP series - DO IT! I guarantee you will not regret it.

Submitted by Rich a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2010

Bottom Line:
Absolutely love them. Smooth and powerful. Unfortunately, we moved from the house where I had a dedicatied theater into a place where I now have to work with the "decorator". So...these are on the block. Anyone interested? Tiger Joe???

Submitted by Tiger Joe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2009

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair of these gorgeous black lacquer KSP-400s on eBay and drove over 800 miles to Los Angeles to pick them up because the cost of shipping via freight alone was around $850. Needless to say, I was not disappointed when I hooked them up to my system. I own other Klipsch speakers, namely the Synergy KSB 3.1 and KSB 2.1's paired with KSW 150 subwoofer. Other speakers I have owned or used in the past were Bose 901V, Bose 301s, and Technics SB-G500. I've spent many hours auditioning speakers such as Martin Logan, Polk, Boston Acoustics, Paradigm, Acoustic Research, JBL, and Infinity to name a few so I could educate my ears on what is considered "mid to hi-fi."

My current audio system consists of Harman Kardon Signature 2.0 preamp, Harman Kardon 2.1 Signature amp x 2 (4 channels of one HK 2.1 amp is used to bi-wire the KSP-400s), Harman Kardon PA5800 amp (additional presence channels), Denon DVD 5900 (excellent audio - uses Burr Brown) , ADC SS-525x, Fosgate Audionics DSL Model 3, 3A and 4 processors (excellent 7.3 capability - musicality far exceeds Lexicon MC-1. The only Lexicon that has a 7.3 capability is the MC-12), NuReality Vivid 3D processor, Technics SH-8040 Space Dimension Controller, DBX 400X Routing Switcher, Pioneer EX-9000 Dynamic Range Expander (similar to DBX 3BX), Pioneer SR-60 Reverberation Amplifier, Pioneer PL-L1000A Linear Tracking Turntable, SAE 5000A Impulse Noise Reduction, Akai GX-R88 Cassette Deck, Pioneer CT-S600 Cassette Deck, Klipsch KSP-400 (main), Klipsch KSP-C6 (center), Klipsch KSB 3.1 (rear), Klipsch KSB 2.1 (side), Klipsch SS-3, (front presence) Klipsch SS-.5 (rear presence), Klipsch KSW-150 (rear channel sub). I currently use 13 channels of amplification with 3 x 5-channel Harman Kardon amps, utilizing all Monster Interlink 300MkIIs, Monster Z3 Speaker cables, and Monster Ultra Definition Y-Adapters. With the current 9.3 setup, the overall imaging and soundstaging is unbelivably spectacular. I'm considering adding two more Klipsch SS-3s for side presence channels for a 11.3 speaker set-up in the near future to blow my mind(Presence speakers are mounted high - closer to the ceiling to give ambiance/headspace).

However, let me focus on the KSP-400s... the pride and joy of my speaker system. These very unique speakers sound so warm, and yet superbly detailed without a hint of edginess or harshness and the bass is so well-controlled and fast that it can arguably rival speakers costing three to four times the original MSRP and blow away anything else near that price range. The d'appolito arrangement of the upper range horn driver and its vertically flanking mid-range/mid-bass drivers is at the perfect level of my ears, and I have the KSP-C6 center speaker set up to maintain the exact upper range driver height of the KSP-400s. I have auditioned all varieties of music from classical jazz to trance in the last several months and everything in between through the KSP-400s. I have to say without a doubt, that these are some of the best speakers I have ever auditioned. The midrange is just so warm and sweet (those of you who own these speakers MUST bi-amplify and use high quality speaker cables to really make them breathe - the difference is most definitely audible) and it ties in so well with the upper octaves, that I find myself listening and soaking up the aural bliss for hours on end (to my wife's chagrin). MOSFET amplifiers are highly recommended with Klipsch speakers due to their "tubey" sound... the Harman Kardon Signature series amps are probably one of the BEST matches for Klipsch, as they tend to be on the warm side of neutral and put out prodigious amounts of current (100+Amps). I have 200 watts RMS feeding into each KSP-400's upper range horn driver and the midrange drivers. That plus the 100+ amp high current capability of the HK amp makes it a perfect match with the discrete 400W amp built into each subwoofer section of the KSP-400. There have been some complaints regarding a ground loop "hum" of the sub's amplifier. That is most likely due to the house wiring having an improper/dirty ground. You can easily fix that issue by using a 3 to 2 prong adapter and a good line conditioner for your components.

Anyway, now that my ears are thoroughly spoiled, I'll probably never give these babies up... rather, I'm on the hunt for another pair of KSP-400s, and a matching set of KSP-S6 surrounds so I can use the extra pairs as rear and side channels instead of the KSB 3.1s and KSB 2.1s in my current set up.

Klipsch made a big mistake discontinuing the KSP series, rather than improving upon them. Many of the other newer Klipschs I have recently auditioned just do not have the midrange warmth and the silky upper range detail without edginess or harshness as these units do. If you can find a well-cared for pair of KSP-400s, do not hesitate to snap them up! Your ears will thank you. However, beware of the amplifier "hum," as it could be an early warning sign of impending amp failure in which case, you'd have to find similar plate amps (modified 500W Sunfire amplifiers would be nice as were used in the AR1s).

Submitted by Klipsch KSP-400 JUNK WITH a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2006

Bottom Line:

KSP 400
MSRP: $ 3500.00
Description: Klipsch Premier Powered Speaker SOUND LIKE A HUM IN THE SUB PLEASE STAY AWAY KLIPSCH HELP IS THE WORST THEY DO NOT HAVE A REPAIR CENTER FOR ANY HELP THEY WILL TELL YOU TO GO TO ANY REPAIR SHOP CHANGE THE PLUG TO A 2 POLE IT IS THE CABLE TV WHAT EVER MAKE THE SPEAKER WORK THEY ARE ALL OVER WITH A HUM NOTHING WILL FIX THE HUM

Purchased At:   PAWN SHOP

Submitted by rmdecastro a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2005

Bottom Line:
I wanted to get a quality upgrade of my Yamaha front speakers and was looking for a pair of SF-2, but the salesman tried the SKPS-400's and left no place for doubt. Been using it for a couple of weeks and they sound incredible, the powered bass causes the whole apartment to vibrate, mids and highs are excellent. If you're thinking in buying these speakers, don't hesitate!

Purchased At:   molina / local audio