Klipsch KSP 300

Submitted by Keith a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
After a couple months use I have decided that the KSP 300's are the BEST sounding speakers I have ever heard.The upper end lacks the harshness or bright edge of other Klipsch speakers as the highs are rolled off around 10kHz.These speakers provide plenty of bass and you will definitely not need a sub.The bass is tight and fast.They are bi-wireable and have provisions for LFE via line level inputs with volume controls for LFE and bass.They look almost as good as they sound.Well built and excellent finish.I now have a total of seven of these speakers and would like to have a few more.Find you some before they're gone.

Submitted by Keith a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
MY use has been limited thus far, but in comparison to other
Klipsch speakers I have owned for years, the 300's sound slightly warmer.The muddy sound I have read of is probably because the speakers are not adjusted correctly.To get the most from these speakers requires a little work to get just right.But then, thats part of the fun.Get em right and enjoy for years.The highs are very clear without that edge of the Legends.The speaker will give much more bass than needed and the muddy comments are probably because of too much bass.In my situation I find about 1/3 volume to be correct.At 1/2 you get lots of base,good for HT.The complexity of these speakers in probably due to someone unfamilar with DD.I have had these speakers one day, do not own a DD reciever and after about 5 minutes of looking at rear panel can understand exactly how to use and how versatile these speakers really are.At high volume levels just one pair sound great for two channel stereo.I hope they
hold up and last as long as my older speakers that I already
have because I can see, with just limited use, that the 300's have potential.

Purchased At:   HIFIBUYS

Submitted by Michael a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
WOW!!! I love these speakers! I owned the Mirage OM10C and hated the sound for stereo. Very innefficient as compared to the Klipsch. I was very patient, got luck, sold the Mirages and won these babies on EBAY from someone who had to sell them. These speakers are also Mahagony which makes them even more impressive. The bass is incredible. You feel it in your body. I can't say enough about these babies. I am happy now! I am driving the KSP's with 2 Marantz MA500 125/ch monoblocks. I have a third MA500 driving a Mirage center channel (that I am trying to sell), and I have a Parasound 2 channel amp driving the rears. I also have a Parasound pre-amp/tuner and a Klipsch KSW-12 Sub.

Purchased At:   Online at EBAY

Submitted by Emmanuel B. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
After the installation, I have also experienced this horrible hum. No explanation was to be found in the documentation. It appeared quickly that it was a cable TV problem (the video recorder is linked to the receiver). I had just to install a RF insulator (cost: 7 euro) between the antenna cable and the wall to prevent ground currents. The documentation from the manufacturer is obviously too short for such a dedicated HT product.

The speakers are very flexible due to the integrated amplifier for the bass-woofer. You can adjust the gain for your room volume or your needs.

The speakers are quite heavy and you need two persons to move them but I do not consider it to be a problem. They are also quite deep (47cm) and are not so easy to integrate in a normal living room.

About the acoustic result: most of all, the horn treble works very well. These speakers sound incredibly dynamic and clear, especially on guitars or vocals. No aggressivity at all at high levels compared to the Cabasse who may need tube amplifiers.

I have got the impression that the image of the players was very wide but not so deep as it could be.

Rating: a good 5 for the clearness and the details in sound, although the documentation about the installation should be more complete.

Submitted by Paul Eberhart a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 27, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have owned the KSP 300's for about a year now and I love them. However, I think I experienced the "horrible hum" that Michael P described. My wife and I were watching TV, and out of the blue, an incredibly loud hum filled our house. We were so shocked/disturbed by the loud noise, it was almost like we were being invaded by space aliens or something. I called Klipsch and they allowed me to send the sub's amp in for a replacement. Since I attached the new amp I have had no problems. But I am a bit paranoid that the aliens will someday be back and scare me to death with the loud hum of their space craft.
Other than the hum problem, I absolutely love the performance of the KSP 300's for cd audio, and home theater use. You can realy feel the bass -- more than any other speaker I've heard. In fact, it pulsates through your entire body.

As I am just an audio enthusiast, and not an audiophile, I found the LFE, Line In, and speaker post system quite complex. Since I purchased my Sony30ES HT receiver, however, I am very glad that I have all this functionality. I run my receiver's subwoofer pre-outs to the LFE in jack on the Klipsch, and the R and L main pre-outs to the Klipsch Line Ins. This set up gives me the punchiest sound, and allows me to take advantage of the flexibility of controlling the LFE bass and the normal bass signals that are sent through the subs.

These speakers are amazing to hear. You can turn the volume up incredibly loud, and continue to have a conversation because the sound is so clear and without distortion. They are an excellent choice for the Front Main speakers for a home theater, and for audio.