Klipsch CF-4

Submitted by speaker user a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2009

Bottom Line:
These are very good speakers, but what you run them off from also makes a huge difference. I was running them with a basic Adcom 555 rated at 200W/channel @ 8 ohm, they sounded decent. After i upgraded to pass labs Amp 350w/channel @ 8 ohms these speakers sound phenomenal, they don't harsh at all, the bass is fuller. The difference is day and night. Don't even try to run these speakers from a receiver or a cheap amp. Most carver are class D amps which are terrible for producing high frequency sound, but good for sub woofers. If set up properly you will not need a sub woofer for music, for movies you might need one where the frequency response dips below 30hz.

Submitted by marems a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2006

Bottom Line:
I had been looking for the CF-4's for some time, and I found some locally. It turns out that they are the version 1's which are the best out of the three versions made. They are the smoothest Klipsch speakers I have ever heared... They give a nice full sound top to bottom, No harshness what so ever. You can turn up the volume and they just keep on going with no break-up. But you don't need to turn up the volume to get the full sound with these. My last speaker investment for a long time. If you can find the version 1's get them, They have better voiceing and a better X-over than the 2nd & 3rd versions. You can tell by the port length, (6") While the 2nd & 3rd versions have 2" ports. Its even been said that they Image better than th Khorns! The reasons for the different versions from what I've been told are the 1st ver. did'nt have the in your face slam & sizzle. So the Klipsch dealers complained to the powers to be at Klipsch and then came the next two versions. Its a damn shame! The whole idea in the first place was to have smoothness like an audiophile speaker!

Purchased At:   N/A

Submitted by adcomfan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2006

Bottom Line:
These speakers rock. I run them with an adcom 5800 at 250 watts per channel and the speakers are good for 300. Loud as ur neighbors can stand and clean until the end. have had no trouble and many satisfied partys and customers. friends family and coworkers love em. The klipsch at best buy or any bose have no comparison. these are the old school

Purchased At:   jamieson's

Submitted by Bigbuck a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2005

Bottom Line:
I got a hold of these speakers on close out from my local DOW store in San Diego,Ca. The MSRP was $2500, i picked them up $800, what a steal! They have been great speakers for both the highs and the lows! There good size, look pretty good, just all around a great speaker! I use them for both (2) channel as well as my 7.1. I have had many people come over and listen to these speakers and say to me how good they sound to them! If you ever run across a pair, you might want to think about buying them if the price is right! I really have enjoyed them thus far and they never give me any troble!

Purchased At:   DOW

Submitted by royphil345 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2004

Bottom Line:
These speakers really did suck. I'm not saying this about all horn or Klipsch speakers. I bought them mostly on the strength of the smaller speakers in the line (CF-3 CF-2) Thought the bigger ones would give me more bass and I had just gotten hold of a very powerful Carver amp so I wanted something in a big, old fashioned speaker that would handle some wattage. Didn't even listen to them much in the store. Had some money to burn and I may as well have done just that because the CF-4s are HORRIBLE.

There's no excuse for a speaker that size to have weak bass. The treble, although harsh and bright, didn't seem to go that high either. No fine detail that Klipsch usually delivers. I changed many components and spent countless hours trying to tweak these things into sounding good for a few years until I finally gave up. Gave them away for free to someone I barely knew. Couldn't sell speakers this crappy with a clean concience no matter what they costed me.

The year after these speakers were discontinued (They weren't around long) they were changed into a very similar 3-way system that sounded much better. So don't avoid Klipsch, but if you run into an old pair of CF-4s RUN AWAY FAST!!!

Purchased At:   AudioCraft