KLH T-5AW
Description: <ul> <li>KLH Dual 6.5" 2 Wy. 200W Tower</li> <li>Dual 6 1/2" Polymer Treated Fiber Cone Woofers & 1" Soft Dome Tweeter</li> <li>Black w/Applewood Side Panels</li> <li>5-Way Gold Binding Posts</li> <li>Magnetically shielded</li> </ul>

Submitted by BRANDON_LEE4444 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2005

Bottom Line:
Just joined this site, although I've been reading it awhile. I've also just bought these speakers, so I'm still "breaking them in." I'm not an "audiophile," but I do enjoy accurate musical reproduction of the source material. I listen to Jazz, Rock, Funk, R&B, Old School Hip-Hop/Hip-Hop/Rap, classical....Norah Jones/Bela Fleck/Arturo Sandoval/Mulgrew Miller/Bond :) etc...

I know it's not fair comparing a Bookshelf speaker(B&W DM600i I've been using since I bought new in '95) to a Floorstanding speaker(KLH T-5AW Just recently purchased!) The quality of sound/build construction/cost-ratio is Crazy for this Awesome speaker! NOTE: I paid $199 Canadian+Taxes@Radio Shack, cause it was a "clearance sale!" There were only minor imperfections on the side, hardly noticeable only if you look really close. But I thought for the price it was a steal!

I was originally interested in "upgrading" to a Nautilus Bookshelf model, cause I felt I was missing something in my B&W's(Nautilus Technology.) But to get that in what I wanted, I would have had to spend over $500 CDN. I'm a "B&W Sound kinda listener." What I mean, is the "revealing/metal tweeter kinda sound." I love my DM600i sound, but thought it was alittle harsh in the top-end. But i guess that's the sound they give off.

So, instead of buying a "upgrade B&W," I started looking at other brands that would equal or surpass my current speakers. BTW, I have a crappy mid '90s receiver, and decent cd player, but my B&W's still sound so clear&real for 2ch stereo/music listening.

My friend also is an enthusiast, when he was shopping for speakers he looked at Pardigms(excellent speakers,) he has a 2-way floorstanding monitor line with a 8" see-through woofer and soft dome tweeter, if I remember correctly. But the bass those paradigms kicked out was Crazy! He has a good amp(Nad) running them though!

What I originally wanted to buy was B&W DM303/601 S3's, but way too much money in my opinion for "better sound," so I was lookin at Athena AS-B2 or maybe AS-F2. I'm a "bookshelf/standmount obsessed," so to look@floorstading speakers was not in my mind. I also was looking into the Infinity Primus 160 or Polk Audio RTi6, Jbl E30, all of these speakers are highly praised by audio reviewers, but also highly expensive for the "casual audiophile/enthusiast."

But, this is why I bought the KLH! It may not have the "revealing top-end as my DM600i's," Just my initial listening to the KLH's, but the soundstaging/openness/frequency range is pretty darn close. Plus being a dual 6 1/2 woofer, soft dome tweeter, rear-ported floorstander, the bass response seems to go alot deeper than my B&W's(stats of speaker shows it does), which I wanted in my "upgrade" speaker purchase. More bass is always welcome. Mind you, If I want Earth shattering/Ear Ringing bass I'll just drive around in my car, I'm a BASSHEAD in vehicles, but not@home tho!

If your looking for near accurate audiophile quality sound, and good looks&build quality, GET SOME KLH SPEAKERS! KLH is a good reputable name company in audio, just give their website a visit.

I don't know if I want to own my "dream speakers now, Nautilus 805's," now that I know that you can for sure pay a reasonable/good deal price on a speaker&get "audiophile" quality sound!

I'm still burning-in my KLH's, my music listening is constantly ongoing. But I'm smiling alot more now with these speakers, and enjoying even more of my cds! If you have a limited budget or just don't want to spend alot of your hard-earned money, buy these speakers or any KLH or others I've mentioned, they are all good deals on speakers!

Purchased At:   Radio Shack

Submitted by Scooter a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2004

Bottom Line:
I thought I would give these a try and see what is coming out of China lately. I was surprised at what I got for the price (paid $170.00 with shipping). Made of 5/8 inch MDF and styled after speakers using the European drivers like Vifa and Scan Speak. They weigh over thirty pounds each and are fairly handsome looking--a coat of Polyshades of your choice might help on the beech simulated veneer. The woofers are decent sounding and well matched to the enclosure for some fairly tight bass. Vocals are above average for an economy speaker. The tweeter is a little harsh, but there are many upgrade possibilities with the cutout size of this tweeter. The best improvements will come from some heavier wire on the inside and a better crossover--the speakers come with AWG 22 wire. The grills are well made with good quality grill cloth. The inputs are a little better than you would expect from KLH. They will accept heavier gauge wire and banana plugs. I was impressed by what I had received for the money. I think these are worth every penny. I bought my pair so I could do some upgrading with some better components that I just happened to have lying around unused. A little bracing of the cabinet and some better damping material is all that the cabinets will need. This size of cabinets will provide very good bass with two high quality 7 inch woofers. I like to experiment, and these cabinets offer lots of possibilities. These speakers beat similarly priced speakers from Sony and others hand down. It's a no-brainer.

Lastly, I must add, avoid shopping at the place where I purchased mine. Bad salespeople and attitude. Other places have these.

Price Paid:    $11900.00

Purchased At:   Savinglots.com

Submitted by a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
Very good sound. Use it with my SA-HE75 Panasonic Receiver as my main stereo system. The Panasonic is giving me 100Watt of power per output, and the speakers are eating it like it was a piece of cake. I'll never pay 500$ for speakers, and I know there are a lot of better stuff out there, but this christmas is going to sound great on my KLH speakers. :)

Purchased At:   Radioshack

Submitted by frank a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2003

Bottom Line:
no, thay don't sound as good as a pair of two thousand dollar speakers. i've owned, speakers many times this price. but i promise if you've only got 200 to spend, these can't be beat. nice highs, clean midrange. base is fairly well defined. these embarrassed a pair of much more expensive speakers i own. i went to purchase narrow towers. i asked to hear everything under a grand. i was stunned to find out i picked this pair. just don't let anythingf but your ears make the decision for you. i listened to several pairs, and was impressed with the nice midrange. i thoght they made the 600 dollar klipsch sound like crap. you may not agree, but for this much money, give them a listen.

Purchased At:   rex