KEF Reference 4

Submitted by Martin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2012

Bottom Line:
Just been reading the reviews of the KEF Ref. 4s.

After a little discussion, my Wife allowed me to purchase a pair of these to replace my KEF 104/2s.

I had contacts in the KEF World and these BNIB were sold to me in about 2003 for £1300, value then £4000?

Well...

I have bi amped them with Musical Fidelity A300CR Mono Blocks, the source being a Shanling CDT-100 or a Musical Fidelity Turntable.

I also use the KEF KUBE 200 inbetween the power amp feeding the bass drivers. On the 103/4s, this would take the bass to 18Hz at -6db.

Alos, perched on top are a pair of Tannoy Supertweeters.

A number of words spring to mind:

Loud. Sublime. Involving. Magic. Impressive. Big. Tall.

I'll never buy another set of speakers.

Submitted by argugu a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2009

Bottom Line:
Good structure and carpentry,delightful sounds of people performance if you like listening jazz or pop ,it will be the best choice .

Submitted by Bryan Hunt a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2008

Bottom Line:
Astounding Jazz and classical speakers. Not the best for rock, in my opinion. Not enough "in your face" attack. They'll play rock, all right, and they'll sound OK, but it's not their strength. They are just too laid back. However if jazz is your thing, look no further. Miles never sounded better.

Mine are in Rosewod finish, and cost $6400 when new. I'm not sure I would have bought them at that price. However, on the used market, $2000 is a good buy.

I based my ratings on the price I paid, and for using these as Jazz speakers, because that's what I usually listen to. As rock speakers, I'd probably remove one star, just because other speakers play that genre better.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   private

Submitted by Ross_uk a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2005

Bottom Line:
Supurb speakers, I have only owned these for about 6 months ! I bought these to replace my KEF Reference 1's (which are excellent aswell)
I would recommend these speakers to anyone with a room big enough to let these babys sing.......
Very good off-axis response, Excellent bass response, Very Spacious mid & Sweet KEF Uni-Q treble.
These are as much at home in 2ch music as thay are in a full H/T system.

I can not say any thing bad about these apart from you will need a serious amp to run these as thay are very current hungry, these need at least 200w into true 4 Ohm to really perform at there best.....Also worth running bi-wired/amped
If you intend on buying a pair I would take a friend along as these are about 50kg each!!!!!!
Also worth going for the duluxe finish, I have the Rosetta baur finish it is simply beatiful.

Purchased At:   E-bay (uk)

Submitted by Geo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
Bought these to replace my trusty 105/3's. WOW, I expected a step up in quality, but this was a huge leap forward. It is a myth that big KEF's can be driven or fed by midrange equipment, they may sound OK but as soon as a better component is inserted into the chain these speakers will instantly sound better. They are a reviewers dream for comparing amps or source components. Biamp them and use ONLY with top of the range equipment and they are a bargain!!