KEF Reference 205
Description: Both long-throw 200mm (8”) bass drivers operate in parallel at low frequencies where throw is critical, but the lower unit is rolled off early to allow the top LF driver to dominate at the crossover to the lower midrange unit for the smoothest possible integration.

Submitted by sbul2020 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2008

Bottom Line:
KEF Reference 205 in cherry, made in England. Simply a gorgeous speaker, they're like fine furniture compared to a lot of the BOX variety. Two 8" bass drivers, a 6 1/2" Uni-Q mid w/ 1" tweeter in center and a 3/4" supertweeter. Can be tri-wired/amped. I really like the sound of these, but it's a work in progress to love them. They are very detailed and revealing- which I like- and when paired with the right amp they can sound amazing. Get them on the wrong amp and watch out! I tried them with a Denon 4806 receiver, a McIntosh MC7106 multi-channel amp (no auto-transformers) and a Parasound amp. Not that any of these sounded really bad, but certain recordings seemed harsh and hard to handle. I then mated them to a McIntosh MC352 w/autoformers and that made a significant improvement. The highs, while still present and detailed, are not as abusive. As I said, I like forward sounding speakers. If you don't, these probably aren't for you. I listened to B&W 800 series, Paradigm Reference (series 3 and 4) and some Focal Electra speakers- all were too laid back and un-involving to me.
Bass is lacking in the lowest registers- plan on using a sub if you want to round out the bottom end.
I am overall pleased with the price to performance ratio of these speakers- I think with a little bit of patience and work these will be probably as good as I'll ever need.

Purchased At:   Audiogon