KEF Q90 Speakers

Submitted by Andrew_S a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2010

Bottom Line:
I recently bought a pair of these 2nd hand of Ebay for £175, what a bargian. I knew about them because a friends dad had a pair new way back in 1994. He was also a professional DJ which may give you an insight in to what they are good at.

Listening to them again I'm astounded by how good they are, there is simply no comparison to my (now outgoing) Rega R3's. Bass is deeper, firmer with more layers and plenty of power - believe me as a 3 way floorstander these aren't low on bass output - but it's tightly controlled and focussed. The real beauty of these however is how all the elements fit together into a cohesive natural whole, producing a more natural sound stage than I've heard from other speakers. Most speakers I've owned have been very good at filling the space between them but not as good in the vertivle plane, hence why some sound at their best when your sat on the floor! The Kef's go beyond this and sound relatively the same almost wherever you are within the listenning space - ie when standing.

Aside from the sound producing hardware (drivers are crossover) the materials are typical of the 90's and relatively cheap by today's standards, ie black ash laminated chipbaord and internal foam sheet. However the finish is good (no visible joins) and the cabinets feel incredibly well branced and rigid. I also like the look, which is similar to the reference series from the same era. What they don't share is internal (foam surrounded) bass drivers - so less to go wrong.

Buy with confidence, these are amazing sounding speakers at any price, if you can live with the look - you have a bargain.

Submitted by arkeologist a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2008

Bottom Line:
I bought these on ebay for £72 plus £15 carriage the cabs were a bit tatty and the cloth was loose on the grills but supposedly they worked fine. when they turned up they were exactly as described. and they work just fine. talking as a guy who used to run a pair of quad electrostatics with a 33/303 combo i think I know good speakers. they are knocking on a bit but if you can get a pair at reasonable money you will NOT improve on them with out spending very serious money in my opinion. the best speakers ive owned bar the ESL`s. buy some if you want serious quality on a shoestring. I cant praise these speakers enough.

Submitted by Bob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2007

Bottom Line:
I am very impressed with these speakers. I bi-wired them first thing with plain 'ol Radio Shack 12 g speaker wire using the A and B speaker terminals on the receiver. Upgraded from Sherwoods that I have been using for decades. Listening to digital Duke Ellington and his orchestra is a delight now. The clarinets are sharp and clear without being harsh, it's amazing. The piano harmonics are easily heard. No listener fatigue. No need to crank up the bass on the amp either. When these speakers handle the complex sounds of an orchestra so well, I know they can handle anything.

Purchased At:   craigslist

Submitted by rjymatt a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2006

Bottom Line:
I have owned a pair of Q90's since 1992 and I have listened to a lot of other speakers since,but these are still the best. I walked into a pawn shop last week and they had a set of Q90's they looked a little ratty but I bought them for $200.00 WOW !!! what a deal ,I cleaned them up and put new grill cloth on them and they look and sound new!!! In my opinion after listening to these since 1992 they are a wonderful speaker if you can find a used set for under $500.00 you'll be hard pressed to find anything that compares unless you spend thousands more.

Purchased At:   Store

Submitted by John a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
These are simply wonderful speakers. Male and female voices sound so natural and live. Guitar and horns sound like they are being played in my living room right in front of me. They just fill the room with music and disappear. I’ve looked at other speakers in the $3,000 to $5,000 range recently and I don’t like them as much as my Kef Q90s. I can’t believe it. I have the money to upgrade and I can’t find anything that I like better. Also these $3,000 to $5,000 speakers I’m listening to have way better electronics then what I’m using with my Kef’s. Other speakers sound like speakers. These sound like live performance. I would recommend them to anyone who can find them.