JPW ML510

Submitted by Namothy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2008

Bottom Line:
They've been battered and the cabinets are looking scuffed and pretty crappy. They've been used constantly since 1998 and ten years on they're absolutely a joy to the ear.

So, I consulted the experts to find successors and decided that the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 as recommended by everyone including What Hi-Fi would be perfect. I picked up the Rosewood beauties from Richer Sounds who happily price matched AVB's (AV Bristol) £109.00 online January sale price. Another bargain I thought.

So, i bi wired the Diamonds with the exact same setup as before and commenced playback. First I tried The Young God's Only Heaven on vinyl through my Rega P3 and Sony Pre/power amp combo and was quite startled. First, I noticed that volume had decreased slightly, so I turned up the volume. Detail in the sound had deteriorated in favour of a more controlled sound, lacking brightness and vitality. The bass was deeper, and more defined by the high end was very poor with an almost muddy quality.

I put the JPW's back on, as battered and tatty as they now look, sonically, although the bass doesn't quite summon up as much as the Wharfedale, enjoys a far better high end and is a far better all round performer.

Purchased At:   Richer Sounds

Submitted by Alan Martin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
A fine speaker at this price (UK £69.95). I have never been able to ascertain what the difference is between the 510 and the 510i - perhaps if someone knows they will e.mail me.....?????)Mine is the 510
Am I missing something ????

Purchased At:   Richer Sounds London

Submitted by Jeff D a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2000

Bottom Line:

This is the 510i, not sure what the changes are. This is a lot of speaker for $350. Voices have a palpable feel to them and overall musicality is way more than I expected for the price. Can be used with all kinds of music but not the best rock speaker around as the dynamics are good but not great. Out of the four speakers we used in our face-off these tied for first with the tannoys, well ahead of the other three.

Submitted by Lyndon Teoh a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 26, 1999

Bottom Line:
JPW ML-510This is an excellent Speaker. Sounstaging and clarity is good. For the Price I paid SG$390 (it's on sale now at SG$270), Good Value for Money.

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener

Submitted by Rikard Kallberg a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 11, 1999

Bottom Line:
These speakers are very good for the money. I bough a pair for my sister and I must say they where better than I dared to wish for. I am using a pair of Linn Keilidh spekers myself and these speakers made me think if my Keilidh realy were worth 10 times as much money. The JPW set me back 50£ on as sale at Richer sounds, which is not much.