Joseph Audio RM22si
Description: 2 way tower

Submitted by ggolub a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2004

Bottom Line:
From day 1 I loved these speakers. They produce very clear, uncolorated, holographic immage. I started apprecuate them more after I got used to their sound and listened to other speakers.
However, even though the vendor claims it goes down to 38hz - I really doubt it. I personaly think they are great speakers but no speakers are going to produce low frequencies close to what good subwoofer does. They are little costly, but good.

Submitted by Michael Sawtell a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
These Speakers are still a joy after the 4
years that I have purchased them. I listen to Jazz mostly and there are not any Speakers less than $2500 that are as natural in the mid-range as accurate in the mid- bass region. I still go out and listen to other brands, but the RMS22's have the perfect blend of what I am looking for. I have read that some think the highs are not "lingering" enough. That is a good thing for me, I do not like Speakers that accentuate the high treble region, it makes them fatiguing to me. These Speakers are NOT fatiguing to me.

I could and do listen for hours...My fellow enthusiasts LOVE these speakers as well, they have Von Schweikert and Linn models and do concede that there is nothing better under $2500 than the Joseph
Audio RM22's!! There are always compromises in Speakers in this price range...Any compromise in the RMS22's will
be difficult to find...Excellent Speaker!

ps...I use the Creek 2350 Special Edition amp and the Marantz 5350 SE CD Player

Purchased At:   Stereo Sound/San Die

Submitted by pt1095 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
The RM22Si's are an excellent choice for all types of music. They are very revealing of all associated equipment/cables and quite neutral. They are wonderful all around performers; very coherent, balanced in tonality, great imaging, wide and deep soundstage, dynamic, very fast (faster and more articulate than my previous Magnepans), with tight deep bass (down to 30Hz range) in the right room size. They are sensitive to room setup and I've found that if they are on carpets, they sound better by placing quarters (yes, I've tried other coins) underneath the front brass cones. They are very sensitive to vertical adjustments and for me, having the front brass cones tilting the speakers back the most sounds best as this aligns the drivers best to my listening spot. Although they generally sound great in many situations, optimum setup and tweaking of setup to even just 1/8th of inch difference could mean the difference between great sound and goosebumps sound. I especially appreciate the ability to sandfill them and the brass cones are a wonderful touch. I've found that having good jumpers on them make a good difference and will in the future purchase a biwire speaker cable as biwiring does seem to increase the soundstage even wider and deeper-giving an even more 3-D effect. I disagree with reviews that say this speaker is a "white wine" speaker. Rather, I would say they are very neutral but not ruthlessly revealing (as Magnepans are) and forgiving of bad brightly recorded material or equipment. However, on great recordings like Diana Krall's "All For You," they will show you how wonderful this recording is in a coherent balanced and musical manner. If the RM22si's sound bright, its probably associated equipment or the room- again, very neutral. Great job Jeff and Richard. Big Thumbs UP!

Associated equipment:

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Acoustical Magic

Submitted by Scott a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
Please see my other review of the RM25si, which I also own, for background on the system environment. many of the same sonic characteristics apply to both speakers.

I bought the 22s to be the rear speakers in a home theater setup that had RM 25si's in the front, with a cynergy in the center, but the RM25s were delayed in shipment waiting for cabinets.

So I used the 22s as my primary audio speakers for about a month. The highs and mids were awesome, but I was a little disappointed. The speakers seemed overwhelmed in my admittedly somewhat large home theater room, straining to reproduce low frequency content. So, I decided to wait and see what happened when the 25s arrived.

In the meantime, I moved the speakers to a smaller room in the house, measuring about 13x15, and used them with a Carver CT17 pre and 634 amplifier.

The difference was breathtaking. Suddenly the speakers came alive. The low end extension was amazing. honest, clean 32hz and below from a speaker with one 6.5"driver!! Great vocals, wide sweetspot. The difference that the room size made was incredible.

Once the 25s arrived, I assembled the whole HT system in the large room and it sounded incredible, with the 25s in the front, the 22s in the rear, and the cynergy in the center.

but somehow it seemed a waste to not use the 22s in the smaller room system.

So, today, I most of the time use some B&W602S2 speakers for the rears in my HT for non-critical listening, and have properly placed the RM22si's in a system of their own in the other, smaller library environment.

So, if you have a moderate sized room, the rm 22s are an outstanding choice that will deliver great sound. Yes, the 25's are better for main speakers in a larger room, but I have to say that the overall balance of the 22 in the right listening environment is unmatched by speakers costing 2-4x as much. Sweet highs, lifelike vocals, solid bass, large soundstage.

Lastly, the cabinet quality is top quality, with perfectly matched hardwood veneers, beautiful drivers, and spotless workmanship. I have never even had the grilles on the speakers. My wife even likes them better without grilles !

Purchased At:   Directly from Joseph Audio

Submitted by David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
I can't dispute the previous reviewer's experience(equipment mismatch, bad room, something broken, just preferences ???) but I've had a very different experience with my RM22si's. I ordered them from the factory on a two-week home trial because there is no Joseph dealer in my vicinity. After two weeks of listening to a variety of music (Beethoven to the Dead, Susan Tedeschi to Patricia Barber, Danny Gatton to Albert Lee) I bought the speakers.

Fit and Finish: Quality cabinet work, sturdy grilles, clean contemporary appearance with a high Spouse Acceptance Factor.

Setup: Very predictable responses to room placement. The soundstage is nicely elevated (unlike the ankle-high Thiels) and very broad (unlike the head-in-a-vise Aerius sweet spot).

Sound: Combines balance and clarity without any fatiguing "brightness" (this is where my experience is very different from the last reviewer's). I can listen for hours at a time with no fatigue. Bass is quite good without a bass "hump". It's easy to distinguish steel strings vs. nylon strings on guitar parts, hear individual background vocalists, count the beans in a pair of castanets (well, maybe not :). And as the volume increases, they just get...louder. They remain clear and composed at all volume levels within reason. An added bonus is that they maintain their balance at low volume levels, so late-night listeners can have an enjoyable time without cranking it up.

Nitpicks: The silk dome tweeter is definitely more "sweet" than "bright". This is especially noticeable on cymbals. However, unlike other "smooth" speakers I've auditioned, there is no loss of detail at high frequencies. Removing the speaker grilles, as Joseph recommends for critical listening, aids high frequencies and improves imaging. And home theater lovers should probably look to a high-quality subwoofer (but unnecessary for music listening).

Summary: a beautifully integrated, clear, relaxed and uncolored full-range speaker that's well-worth an audition.

Relevant Associated Equipment:

Hafler DH-200 amplifier (100 wpc MOSFET)
Hafler DH-110 preamp
Rotel RCD-951 CD player
Yamaha D-71 turntable w/Grado F1+ cartridge

Room size: 14x17x8 (feet)