Jensen M-series
Description: S.T.A.R. Towers w/ Sunfire Sub

Submitted by brad nolan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
i've had the m1's for the better part of a year now, they were great speakers while they lasted though! they didn't have the most crisp sound, but you can push them and they will sound fine.

a dj came to one of our house parties and was using my sound system, the fag ended up pushing my speakers too hard and blew the tweeters! i don't blame the speakers though, it was the stupid dj. so then i took the tweeters out and hooked the m1 up to a seperate reciever, so i'm using the woofers only. its basicaly a subwoofer now that's 4X too big... oh well.

i got them for $132 on ubid including shipping which isn't bad... considering they weighed 72lbs
(my jbl s1s weighs a 120lbs!) shipping for that was a pain!

Purchased At:   ubid

Submitted by Brent Salazar a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
These speakers are MONSTERS. Mostly due to their size and weight. At 3' 2 1/4" high, 1' 10 3/4" wide, and 1' 4 3/4" deep and 72lbs each, they are hell to lug up a flight of stairs! But after hooking them up to my 160 watt per channel Sansui G-9000DB, they sing quite musically. Although they are large, sporting 15" woofers, 6" mids and 1" horn tweeters- they are extremely sensitive at 98db spl @ 1watt @ 1 meter. They can be driven with low wattage amps, but have respectable power handling. The bass extends deep enough that you don't need a subwoofer. The mids are strong and express the human voice decently. The highs are not too crisp but detailed and musical. Considering these retail for $499.00 apiece and I bought them off Ebay for less than $300.00 for the pair, they were an excellent value for me.
I do not find them particularly attractive, but they are musical enough to satisfy me until I can afford a pair of nOrh 6.5's.

The positive side- You can crank these babies with a minimal amount of power and they will MOVE you.

The down side- Too expensive considering the quality. Bulky, Heavy, and cosmetically unappealling.

Not really worth $1000.00/pair.

Submitted by griff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2000

Bottom Line:
The M1's sound incredible especially considering their price. I got a pair at Ubid.com and ended up paying more for the shipping than I did for the speakers themselves (I only paid $63 for each speaker!) I also purchased the M1CS as a center channel for my home theater system. They voice matched perfectly and really add a lot of depth to family room. They are well built, sturdy and by their looks at least will last a long, long time. With a frequency range of 30Hz to 20kHz, there is no need for a powered subwoofer in your home theater system unless you have a very weak amplifier. By the way, many high end speakers don't go lower than 40Hz. These speakers are great if you put them in a large room or perhaps a dorm room or apartment if you don't mind them taking up a lot of space. The only downfall is that they look like professional equipment. Also the video shielding (if you call it that in the M1CS) is not very good. The center channel needs to be separated from your television by at least 6 inches. I don't mind the grills too much either but it depends on your taste. Bottom line: great speakers with a large spectrum of sound, solid construction, good price, but they may not go with your decor.

Submitted by Ed a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2000

Bottom Line:
Picked the Center Channel up from Ubid.com for $39. Thought it would make a good center channel for my ad hoc home theater setup until I scrape together enough $$$ for a matched speaker setup. No complaints w/ the sound. But the thing is big (looks like pro equipment more than home) and the video shielding sucks. The ugly as all get out. But for $39 I can't complain too much.

Submitted by Bryan Flynn a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair of M-1s online for my dorm room without realizing how big they were (or that I'd have to take two
75 lbs. speakers up two flights of stairs). They sound great though! They are LOUD, but don't distort. the most crisp sound I've heard at high volume. I'm only running 75 watts per channel and still dare not crank it all the way up. At 30% power I shook books off my shelves, the window rattled like it was about to explode, and people could hear it half way across campus. I've also used them wih my band's PA system and they can REALLY fill up a room! I agree they're worth their weight in gold, but hire someone to move them in , or invest in a good dolly!